Talks with major networks for Apple streaming TV service making rapid progress - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited July 2015
After being mired for months, talks with major networks regarding an Apple streaming TV service are finally making major advancements ahead of an anticipated launch this fall, according to a new report.

The company has finally broken through with ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox, sources told the New York Post. The major obstacle in negotiations was allegedly Apple's interest in live feeds of local channels, but since networks don't directly control affiliate feeds, Apple's team asked the networks to secure affiliate rights rather than spend time pursuing each one itself.

The networks are close to being able to negotiate with Apple on behalf of affiliates, the sources said. In compensation, the affiliates are being promised a share of the extra revenue Apple's service will generate.

CBS or Disney (which owns ABC) will likely be the first to sign a deal with Apple, the sources speculated, also backing the idea that Apple plans to sell customers a "skinny" channel bundle.

There are still said to be obstacles however, such as whether TV partners will have to sacrifice 30 percent of subscription fees if they're paid via the App Store. Apple normally claims 30 percent of all App Store purchase revenue, even if a person is paying for a third-party service simply delivered through an iOS app. Maintaining that split could take a deep bite out of network revenues.

Another problem is that networks have signed "most favored nation" clauses with other parties, meaning they can't charge Apple less than others. Apple is also reportedly undecided on how much it plans to charge, although estimates range from $10 to $40 a month.

The sources lastly noted that Apple is hoping to launch the service as soon as late fall, and may incorporate some typically cable-only channels, like Discovery and ESPN. One person commented that the platform itself is "ready and it rocks."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    [COLOR=blue][/COLOR]With the current ATV interface, it's not even close to be called "reinvent TV". It's ridiculous that you have to log on to activate each of them separately.
  • Reply 2 of 67
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

With the current ATV interface, it's not even close to be called "reinvent TV". It's ridiculous that you have to log on to activate each of them separately.

The "skinny channel subscription" Apple has been sweating over holds a minutia of interest to me, compared to the revamped Apple TV hardware and OS. It is so desperately in need of major overhaul. Getting rather annoyed as a customer that I'm being made to wait for such an overdue refresh.

• Reply 3 of 67
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,084member
    A large, successful Apple TV Fall launch would be the icing on the cake to an extraordinary 12 months for the company

Apple Watch
    Apple Pay
    Apple Music
    HealthKit
    HomeKit
    Swift 2.0
    HBO on-boarded
    CarPlay momentum
    MacBook
    IBM Enterprise Push
    China Mobile
    Retail Store Accelerated Build-Out

Upcoming,
    iPhone 6S, 6C
    iPad Pro
    iOS 9 / OS X El Cap

What else am I missing?

Apple is firing on all cylinders
  • Reply 4 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The "skinny channel subscription" Apple has been sweating over holds a minutia of interest to me, compared to the revamped Apple TV hardware and OS. It is so desperately in need of major overhaul. Getting rather annoyed as a customer that I'm being made to wait for such an overdue refresh.

I don't expect Apple to unlock the AppleTV to just anyone, so I suspect I'll be buying another Roku this fall (preferably one with an Ethernet jack) instead.

• Reply 5 of 67

The current set up is not what the overall vision is rather what Apple is allowed to do at the moment.  Signing on to each individually is the only way they can offer it at the moment.  Give it until the fall when the actual streaming service comes out.

• Reply 6 of 67

The Apple TV is still best in class for it's category.

Note that the new Apple TV will run on the current latest generation Apple TV.  The difference will be a new software platform. New hardware may well offer new features but the core Apple TV platform will run on the currently available Apple TV hardware.

As a Verizon FiOS cord-cutter, I have been waiting for this for a long time.

Time will tell.

• Reply 7 of 67
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

I wonder if the shift toward a-la-carte TV will further push the major networks to streamline their content, and/or spin them off into separate channels. Like ABC news only, or NBC reality only channels.

• Reply 8 of 67
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Yes, it needs to be very different. Sitting in front of ATV and looking through iTunes, then Netflix, and back through iTunes to choose something for the evening is a thumb pain.
  • Reply 9 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

A large, successful Apple TV Fall launch would be the icing on the cake to an extraordinary 12 months for the company

Apple Watch

Apple Pay

Apple Music

HealthKit

HomeKit

Swift 2.0

HBO on-boarded

CarPlay momentum

MacBook

IBM Enterprise Push

China Mobile

Retail Store Accelerated Build-Out

Upcoming,

iPhone 6S, 6C

iPad Pro

iOS 9 / OS X El Cap

What else am I missing?

Apple is firing on all cylinders

The list may be accurate, but not everything should Apple be so proud of at this stage...

Apple Pay: more banks every day, yet no initiative in retail since launch. Apple's real strength in this space is their negotiation prowess, and we've seen zero momentum in retail. Until its a higher percentage of places people shop, its still basically nonexistent.

HomeKit: Almost as slow to market as CarPlay, with fewer excuses. Another area where Apple could have come out of the gates much stronger. Siri integration is where it begins and ends, and the AppleTV integration is incredibly half baked.

CarPlay: Little more than a legend at this point. Apple caved and allowed their UI to be used on crap touch screens, and even that has not gotten this out there. I drive a 2015 Jeep with a sufficient-for-CarPlay UConnect system...there is absolutely NO reason that there hasn't been a firmware upgrade for the existing cars to enable CarPlay.

• Reply 10 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Go buy a roku then.

Quote:

go buy a roku then.

What the hell kind of answer is that? I want something better. Not worse.

• Reply 11 of 67
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

That's Sog for you.

I have an older Roku I can't use anymore due to wireless interference, but it's really not a bad product. For Netflix I use the PS3 though, that was their lead platform for years (and may still be).

• Reply 12 of 67
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member
    Quote:

well then stop bitching about the AppleTV if its the best.

Are you also annoyed that you have to wait for iPhone9?  I mean seriously.  Apple will bring it out when everything is in place, not a second sooner.

That's a really poor argument.

• Reply 13 of 67

The iPhone and iPad *are* the new TVs!

The Apple TV while small enough to travel is not really portable.  It needs to be connected to an outlet and a screen / stereo system.

The iPhone and iPad will be the best devices what watching Apple TV anywhere. 

The same way we have Apple Music, we will need Apple TV to consume media at anytime and anywhere.

Time will tell.

• Reply 14 of 67
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The sources lastly noted that Apple is hoping to launch the service as soon as late fall, and may incorporate some typically cable-only channels, like Discovery and ESPN. One person commented that the platform itself is "ready and it rocks."

Are these the same ‘sources’ that said this would launch at WWDC? Until Apple makes an announcement this is complete vaporware.

• Reply 15 of 67
    Go Apple go! Can't wait for this service to come out. Very much looking forward to the day I can tell Comcast to shove it.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    pmz wrote: »

That's Sog for you.

I have an older Roku I can't use anymore due to wireless interference, but it's really not a bad product. For Netflix I use the PS3 though, that was their lead platform for years (and may still be).

I can't stand using the PS3 for streaming. The disc drive is always humming in the background even though it's not being used. I much prefer using my Roku, of which I own several. I'm quite amazed that such a small company with almost zero advertising is running with the big boys.
  • Reply 17 of 67
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'm still struggling to see why I would want this over what I currently have - Directv. It might be cheaper as it has fewer channels but will it have all the channels I want? Plus with Directv I get extra sports channels for golf and tennis that I use all the time. I'm assuming those wouldn't be coming to ?TV. I'll still upgrade my ?TV box as mine is 2nd gen, but at this point I doubt I'll be signing up for their streaming service.
  • Reply 18 of 67

Seems like it's all due to local TV affiliate negotiations. Hopefully whatever they announce is kick ass and well worth the wait.
  • Reply 19 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »

The iPhone and iPad *are* the new TVs!

The Apple TV while small enough to travel is not really portable.  It needs to be connected to an outlet and a screen / stereo system.
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">The iPhone and iPad be the best devices what watching TV anywhere. </span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">The same way we have Apple Music, we will need Apple TV to consume media at anytime and anywhere.</span>

Time will tell.

Too. Small.  But I agree any AppleTV service should work on ALL devices ANYWHERE.  

That's never going to happen. Too many land based restrictions on content.
  • Reply 20 of 67
    The list may be accurate, but not everything should Apple be so proud of at this stage...

Apple Pay: more banks every day, yet no initiative in retail since launch. Apple's real strength in this space is their negotiation prowess, and we've seen zero momentum in retail. Until its a higher percentage of places people shop, its still basically nonexistent.

HomeKit: Almost as slow to market as CarPlay, with fewer excuses. Another area where Apple could have come out of the gates much stronger. Siri integration is where it begins and ends, and the AppleTV integration is incredibly half baked.

CarPlay: Little more than a legend at this point. Apple caved and allowed their UI to be used on crap touch screens, and even that has not gotten this out there. I drive a 2015 Jeep with a sufficient-for-CarPlay UConnect system...there is absolutely NO reason that there hasn't been a firmware upgrade for the existing cars to enable CarPlay.

To me CarPlay is a bit like the ROKR. it's a bandaid, not Apple's ultimate solution. And now there are stories out there that some car companies aren't willing to give over all the data Apple and Google want. That makes me even more convinced Apple is working on its own vehicle. They're never going to get the cooperation they want with car companies.