Apple releases first public beta of upcoming OS X 10.10.5 update

Posted:
in macOS edited July 2015
Apple on Thursday released the first public beta of OS X 10.10.5, following quickly on the heels of a matching developer beta, which was issued on Tuesday.

Both betas share the same build number, 14F6a, implying identical code. Apple is typically more cautious about releasing public betas however, presumably because developers need the absolute latest code and are more prepared if something goes wrong.

In notes for the update, Apple says only that 10.10.5 fixes stability, compatibility, and security issues with OS X Yosemite.

The software is available through the Updates tab in the Mac App Store for people registered in the Apple Beta Software Program. Apple recommends backing up before an installation, and installing only on a Mac or drive partition that can be erased in case of failure.

OS X 10.10.5 will likely be the last major update for Yosemite. The operating system's successor, El Capitan, is due to launch sometime this fall as a free download, and is already available in a public beta of its own.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    elijahg wrote: »
    Seems the first beta of 10.10.5 is out...

Bit slow today AI!

I wish Apple would give more info on what's fixed. Some people find the later OS X releases to be full of bugs, though I've not come across many personally. Although on this 2015 Retina MBP the kernel tends to use a lot (10-20%) of CPU when there's the slightest of activity. Also the Windowserver hangs quite often when using Numbers it seems. 15 seconds later everything happens allatonce :\
  • Reply 2 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Bit slow today AI!

I wish Apple would give more info on what's fixed. Some people find the later OS X releases to be full of bugs, though I've not come across many personally. Although on this 2015 Retina MBP the kernel tends to use a lot (10-20%) of CPU when there's the slightest of activity. Also the Windowserver hangs quite often when using Numbers it seems. 15 seconds later everything happens allatonce :\

To be clear this isn't a 'fix' to 10.10.4, this is a public beta of the next version. Think of this as Snow Leopard to Leopard not a Leopard update.

I've found the current version of the developer 10.10.5 to be excellent and very stable on a new Mac Pro and a 2012 MBP but a few issues on a 2011 MBP. That's just one person's experience obviously.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    To be clear this isn't a 'fix' to 10.10.4, this is a public beta of the next version. Think of this as Snow Leopard to Leopard not a Leopard update.

Uh, what?
    Apple says only that 10.10.5 fixes stability, compatibility, and security issues with OS X Yosemite.

This is 10.10.5 not the public beta of 10.11, so obviously it's not a major update. It is of course, for bug fixes... :???:
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Lost bluetooth on my 2015 15" MBP after install. Can't use my magic mouse now - had to use my old USB mouse.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    fdogfdog Posts: 7member

Funny I never had access to the dev 10.10.5 beta, and now I do have access to the pub beta?  Should be the other way around, wtf?  Well at least it has the same build number.

• Reply 6 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Uh, what?
    This is 10.10.5 not the public beta of 10.11, so obviously it's not a major update. It is of course, for bug fixes... :???:

My bad I read that as the El Capitan Public release.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post

Some people find the later OS X releases to be full of bugs, though I've not come across many personally.

Some people wouldn’t know what a bug is if it up and bit them in the ass. Some people think anything that doesn’t work they way they think it should work is a bug. Some people think a feature that works differently than before is a bug. Some people think if they don’t like something it’s a bug. Some people have absolutely no idea what they are talking about when they use the word ‘bug.’

• Reply 8 of 12
    krawallkrawall Posts: 162member

Since when are there public betas for incremental updates ?

Strikes me as very odd...

• Reply 9 of 12
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    @ikrupp, that's very true. But I hope you're not implying that Yosemite is not full of bugs? Not to mention their consumer software like iCloud photos, apple music or iTunes Match? I'm annoyed by the poor quality of all of them, but the bugs In Yosemite irritate me all the time. And there so many of them, some very obvious, I wonder why they're not getting fixed. I'm sure they are underpowered for the tasks ahead.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    appletimappletim Posts: 14member
    "Although on this 2015 Retina MBP the kernel tends to use a lot (10-20%) of CPU when there's the slightest of activity. Also the Windowserver hangs quite often when using Numbers it seems. 15 seconds later everything happens allatonce"

Same issue here!! I'm on a brand new 2015, 15" Retina MBP, most powerful laptop Apple makes. And the kernel task and window server processes are using significant CPU, with the fans spinning up on a regular basis. What the heck? I was going to totally erase the storage, and reinstall, but your note leads me to believe that may not help.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    repmeerrepmeer Posts: 5member
    I fixed the bluetooth issue with this beta by deleting com.apple.Bluetooth.plist and doing an smc reset
  • Reply 12 of 12
    repmeerrepmeer Posts: 5member

I fixed this issue by removing com.apple.Bluetooth.plist and doing an smc reset