iOS 9 tips: Access Apple Pay's Wallet without unlocking your iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
iPhone 6 or 6 Plus users who upgrade to iOS 9 can now access non-default credit, debit and loyalty cards in their Apple Pay Wallet directly from the lock screen, with just two taps of the home button.

iOS 9's ability to access Wallet, n?e Passbook in iOS 8, from an iPhone's lock screen is a feature partially borrowed from Apple Watch. With Apple's wearable, users activate touchless NFC Apple Pay capabilities via a double-press of the power button.

For iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users running iOS 8, simply bringing the device within range of a compatible and active point of sale terminal automatically invokes the Apple Pay function. Users need only to authenticate via Touch ID to complete a transaction.

Apple's iOS 9 not only carries over these same automated payment functions, but add in the convenience of selecting from any number of provisioned cards without unlocking iPhone and opening the Wallet app.

To turn on lock screen Wallet access, open Settings and navigate to Touch ID & Passcode. After entering your device passcode, scroll down to the menu subsection titled Allow Access When Locked: and toggle Wallet to the on position.

Once activated, Wallet can be accessed directly from the lock screen by double-clicking the home button, selecting an appropriate card on screen and authenticating via Touch ID.

The feature will be especially handy given newfound support for Kohl's and JCPenney special store cards. Apple Pay access to loyalty and member cards will also be available from additional select retailers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    Too bad companies need to add support for it. Will never happen in Europe, so this will be another useless feature over here.

I would love to be able to add my own loyalty cards that automatically pop up based on my location. So trivial, but still doesn't exist.
  • Reply 2 of 57

There's been talk about how the iPod Touch didn't get ?Pay because it isn't "always connected", but I was looking on the Apple website and it shows that Passbook is pre-installed on the iPod. That makes it seem like skipping ?Pay really was just a choice by Apple and not because the iPod isn't always connected. Now, granted, my old iPod Touch can't even install Passbook so I don't know exactly how this works - is anyone else aware of some major difference between how membership cards and credit cards work in Passbook that one makes sense and the other doesn't?

• Reply 3 of 57
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    There's been talk about how the iPod Touch didn't get ?Pay because it isn't "always connected", but I was looking on the Apple website and it shows that Passbook is pre-installed on the iPod. That makes it seem like skipping ?Pay really was just a choice by Apple and not because the iPod isn't always connected. Now, granted, my old iPod Touch can't even install Passbook so I don't know exactly how this works - is anyone else aware of some major difference between how membership cards and credit cards work in Passbook that one makes sense and the other doesn't?

It doesn't need to be always connected. That's not how ?Pay works. The internet connection only needs to be used for setup, after that it only needs the local NFC HW for communication with the local PoS HW. That antenna plus the NFC chip which include the secure element are the HW it doesn't have. Not having Touch ID is also an issue, but not having Touch ID is not mandatory for an NFC-based payment system, it's simply a feature that helps streamline the process.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hagar View Post

Will never happen in Europe, so this will be another useless feature over here.

Apple will add it to their stores and then other people will follow. Bigger loyalty cards will follow or they'll lose out and smaller loyalty card brands will follow suit. It's just a matter of time.

• Reply 5 of 57

I thought this was a glitch the entire time.

• Reply 6 of 57
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    It's really sad that tracking cards ("loyalty" bullshit) will make their way more and more into Apple Pay. The whole concept is disgusting; selling your purchasing habits (essentially over your entire lifetime) to commercial, unregulated companies. In that light...

Does anyone know if you can attach a pre-pay card to Apple Pay? This is very interesting to me, and may determine whether an imminent purchase will be a new, 6th gen iPod Touch or a used iPhone 5s.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    blah64 wrote: »
    It's really sad that tracking cards ("loyalty" bullshit) will make their way more and more into Apple Pay. The whole concept is disgusting; selling your purchasing habits (essentially over your entire lifetime) to commercial, unregulated companies. In that light...

Then don't add any loyalty cards to Wallet and it's not an issue for you, but you need to realize that long before Apple Pay existed the Passbook app supported loyalty cards.
    Does anyone know if you can attach a pre-pay card to Apple Pay? This is very interesting to me, and may determine whether an imminent purchase will be a new, 6th gen iPod Touch or a used iPhone 5s.

That all depends on the bank. They can support any type of card they wish. The link below is an older, partial list of what is current supported as Apple's official list now only seems to list the bank names, and not the specific breakdown of card and account types supported within each bank.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Then don't add any loyalty cards to Wallet and it's not an issue for you,

It's not an Apple Pay problem, it's the entire track-everything-you-do-from-birth-to-death problem. Yes, it is an issue for me, because as soon as (especially grocery) stores realized that so many people would sell themselves without giving it a second thought, they rarely have sales where people can participate without joining the world of behavior profiling. That means I pay higher prices.

That all depends on the bank. They can support any type of card they wish. The link below is an older, partial list of what is current supported as Apple's official list now only seems to list the bank names, and not the specific breakdown of card and account types supported within each bank.

Thanks for the link, but it's not good news.
    The banks that work with Apple Pay do not support all the cards, such as, personal credit cards, personal debit cards, prepaid cards, corporate cards, etc. Not all banks support all types of cards. Every bank supports some particular card. For instance, J.P. Morgan supports only Personal Credit cards. It does not support any other cards.
    (my bold, I didn't see a publish date on the article though)

So unless things have changed, which is what I was wondering, we're still out of luck on this. Maybe?

Does anyone else have specific insights into use of pre-paid cards on Apple Pay?
  • Reply 9 of 57
    It's not an Apple Pay problem, it's the entire track-everything-you-do-from-birth-to-death problem. Yes, it is an issue for me, because as soon as (especially grocery) stores realized that so many people would sell themselves without giving it a second thought, they rarely have sales where people can participate without joining the world of behavior profiling. That means I pay higher prices.

This isn't a problem at all. Just don't sign up for loyalty cards if you don't want to be tracked by their issuers.

So unless things have changed, which is what I was wondering, we're still out of luck on this. Maybe?

Does anyone else have specific insights into use of pre-paid cards on Apple Pay?

Then I don't understand your concern. You wanted to know if Apple Pay could support prepaid cards and I showed you that they absolutely can. How is that bad news?
  • Reply 10 of 57
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

You know, you don't have to put your information in to use those loyalty cards. I use many cards that have absolutely zero information on me yet I still reel the benefits of the discounts.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hagar View Post

Too bad companies need to add support for it. Will never happen in Europe, so this will be another useless feature over here.

You're completely wrong.

http://newsroom.mastercard.com/press-releases/mastercard-fast-tracks-mobile-payment-acceptance-europe-helping-europeans-tap-everywhere-2020/

Quote:

• Existing POS terminals can be replaced at end of lifecycle, but at the latest by 1 January 2020.

• New POS terminals must adhere to the new standard upon deployment as from 1 January 2016.

• Reply 12 of 57
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

You know, you don't have to put your information in to use those loyalty cards. I use many cards that have absolutely zero information on me yet I still reel the benefits of the discounts.

They don't need to know your information to figure out who you are. Did you ever use a loyalty card and a credit or debit card together? Then they know your name. Knowing your name and where you live (based on the most common stores you use), they can get your address from public records (do you own a house or registered a car? signed a petition, donated to a political campaign or registered to vote?) or buy that info from somebody like Experian.

• Reply 13 of 57
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Like it or not, most people don't care whether they're tracked, and most of those who do, pretend they aren't.

We really have to look at the world the way it is, rather than the way we want it to be. Being tracked is something that's out of the bag, and has been for some time.

Do you use Google, Bing, Yahoo or any other major service? Then you're being tracked. Don't like it? Tough!

Don't like the fact that your info is being sold? Also tough. Your info has always been sold. This goes back decades before the Internet was ever thought of. It's just more ubiquitous and sophisticated now.

Generally, it doesn't matter unless you're doing something less than above board. Otherwise, why would you even care?
  • Reply 14 of 57
    williamlondonwilliamlondon Posts: 1,324member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Like it or not, most people don't care whether they're tracked, and most of those who do, pretend they aren't.

We really have to look at the world the way it is, rather than the way we want it to be. Being tracked is something that's out of the bag, and has been for some time.

Do you use Google, Bing, Yahoo or any other major service? Then you're being tracked. Don't like it? Tough!

Don't like the fact that your info is being sold? Also tough. Your info has always been sold. This goes back decades before the Internet was ever thought of. It's just more ubiquitous and sophisticated now.

Generally, it doesn't matter unless you're doing something less than above board. Otherwise, why would you even care?

Militant apologism - vehement defence of the status quo's right never to change. ;-)

• Reply 15 of 57
    This isn't a problem at all. Just don't sign up for loyalty cards if you don't want to be tracked by their issuers.

You said "it's not an issue for you", but it is an issue because I now pay higher prices because of other people's behavior. I can avoid behavioral profiling, but it's not easy and it's not free. Some stores are so obnoxious about it that I just don't shop at them any longer.

Then I don't understand your concern. You wanted to know if Apple Pay could support prepaid cards and I showed you that they absolutely can. How is that bad news?

I went back and re-read the article, word by word, and I don't see that, only innuendo weaving around the general topic of different types of cards. This part vaguely implies no support for non-credit/debit (prepaid is a different beast):
    ...just add the information of your Credit/Debit card to your Passbook...

If it's possible then surely someone here on the boards has tried it, no? Anyone?

It seems like it should be possible, but the articles I've read imply otherwise. I just went to dig around a bit again right now, and it looks like some banks (Wells Fargo and Chase) allow you to use the "reloadable" cards, but they're not simple prepaid, they require setting up an account with the bank. See: http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/how-to/how-to-buy-wells-fargo-prepaid-visa-apple-pay-canada/

So, just to be crystal clear, when I'm talking about prepaid cards, I mean the basic kind you can walk into any drugstore and put cash on the card. The kind you can give as gifts, and of course, use anonymously.
  • Reply 16 of 57
    sirlance99 wrote: »

As konqerror stated above, it takes more effort than just not entering proper information on those loyalty/tracking cards to not have all your purchases tracked and analyzed. If you've taken all the other steps, including using only cash every single time then congrats! Otherwise, you probably spent effort for nothing.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Militant apologism - vehement defence of the status quo's right never to change. ;-)</span>

Total BS. I've been reading articles that compare Apple's services to Google's. Apple pushes privacy, Google pushes convenience. We look at Apple's search using Siri, for example, and we read that Apple's search can't equal that of Google's, because Apple doesn't link things together the way Google does. That's because of privacy. But do those using Google care? Not really. I find that even those who protest, use their services. I also find that Apple users on these forums sometimes complain of the same lack of search ability.

You can say what you want, but you're wrong.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    You said "it's not an issue for you", but it is an issue because I now pay higher prices because of other people's behavior. I can avoid behavioral profiling, but it's not easy and it's not free. Some stores are so obnoxious about it that I just don't shop at them any longer.
    I went back and re-read the article, word by word, and I don't see that, only innuendo weaving around the general topic of different types of cards. This part vaguely implies no support for non-credit/debit (prepaid is a different beast):
    If it's possible then surely someone here on the boards has tried it, no? Anyone?

It seems like it should be possible, but the articles I've read imply otherwise. I just went to dig around a bit again right now, and it looks like some banks (Wells Fargo and Chase) allow you to use the "reloadable" cards, but they're not simple prepaid, they require setting up an account with the bank. See: http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/how-to/how-to-buy-wells-fargo-prepaid-visa-apple-pay-canada/

So, just to be crystal clear, when I'm talking about prepaid cards, I mean the basic kind you can walk into any drugstore and put cash on the card. The kind you can give as gifts, and of course, use anonymously.

I think that a problem with these cards is that they often have small amounts of cash on them. It's very possible that the risk of a transaction not going through because there's not enough on the card, may be an issue. While that can happen with a bank issued debit card, normally there is much more money in the account than one would put on a disposable cash card.

There could also be a problem with card verification. There's really no way to know if the person buying that card is really who they say they are, and so a fraudulent card would be a larger problem.

While I understand that a small number of people are afraid of being tracked, these companies are more concerned about fraud. So even if their main concern is not tracking, it's fraud, and I can sympathize with that.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    melgross wrote: »

Mel, I'm shocked and disappointed in this comment. I respect you a lot, and I know you're a smart, worldly guy. If there was one person here on this board that I'd want to meet in person it would be you (though we're on opposite coasts). So to see you paraphrase the old "If you're not doing something wrong, you shouldn't have anything to hide" spiel is really sad. That concept has been attacked and beaten down ad nauseam in recent years, and it's just BS. Humanity has a right to a comfortable level of privacy. It's one of the fundamental rights that our forefathers fought for, and it's quickly being stolen from us in the guise of idiocy like "loyalty" cards, Facebook, Google, Axciom, and hundreds of other vile companies that most people have never heard of.

Do I use google, bing, yahoo or any other major (trackable) service? Hell no! What kind of hypocrite would I be if I did that! ;-) Seriously, people who use Google for search (or Bing or any non-anonymized search) these days are crazy (or at least ignorant), when other great options like DuckDuckGo and StartPage are readily available. They work very well, and I don't miss Google one bit, haven't used them for search in years.

But that's just top-line stuff. There are many levels of crap to avoid beyond that for anyone who cares one iota about their dignity these days. Google is so deeply buried in nearly everything people use online these days, it's not funny. If everyone here just added 2 lines to their /etc/hosts file, life would be better:

127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com
    127.0.0.1 ssl.google-analytics.com

Even that's just a tiny start, but so easy.

Back to the pre-internet comment. Yes, you're right, of course, this has happened for decades, but it was nearly harmless due to the incredibly weak linkage. Now, nearly everything is tied together. It's exactly the "more ubiquitous and sophisticated now" part that makes it bad. Indeed, many people don't care, but most people just don't have any understanding of how broadly and deeply they are being data mined. There have been some great studies/simulations where people act out in real life, asking the same kinds of questions that are being data mined every hour of people's lives online, and most people are really uncomfortable giving up this kind of information. It's just hidden from them.
  • Reply 20 of 57
    melgross wrote: »
    I think that a problem with these cards is that they often have small amounts of cash on them. It's very possible that the risk of a transaction not going through because there's not enough on the card, may be an issue. While that can happen with a bank issued debit card, normally there is much more money in the account than one would put on a disposable cash card.

There could also be a problem with card verification. There's really no way to know if the person buying that card is really who they say they are, and so a fraudulent card would be a larger problem.

While I understand that a small number of people are afraid of being tracked, these companies are more concerned about fraud. So even if their main concern is not tracking, it's fraud, and I can sympathize with that.

Good points, and I sympathize (a little) with them as well, as far as fraud.

The thing is, the amount on the card is solid, and would easily be checked, just like a debit card, before letting a transaction go through, so I don't believe that's a problem. All too many people who live paycheck-to-paycheck don't keep much in the way of funds available to their debit cards, so I'm not sure this makes sense as a reason to disallow prepaids.

The fully anonymous prepaid cards work for pretty much any kind of "normal" in-person transaction where you might be able to use Apple Pay at a merchant. However, they don't work for some services, like Amazon's AWS, where monthly recurring charges are expected. And yet, some companies do allow anon prepaid for recurring charges, so I think there's a ton of variability in the system.

I'm just trying to get a handle on it, hoping that someone, somewhere, has tried it out in person. Anyone??