Apple's Chinese revenues surge 112% in Q3 to lead worldwide growth

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited July 2015
Apple's Chinese revenues shot ahead 112 percent year-over-year during the June quarter to over $13.2 billion, reflecting the growing importance of the country to Apple's bottom line even as other regions also showed significant growth.

The Americas continued to be Apple's best-performing region in terms of overall revenue, rising 15 percent to $20.2 billion. China, however, easily eclipsed Europe, which advanced 19 percent year-over-year but only to $10.3 billion. Sequentially, China has been ahead of Europe for multiple quarters.

Japan revenues were up a comparatively small 9 percent from 2014 to just under $2.9 billion. Apple's next-most aggressive growth took place in the rest of the Asia Pacific market, which increased 26 percent to a little under $3 billion.

Analysts have typically credited Apple's success in China to the popularity of the iPhone. Although the device is more expensive than most smartphones, and out of the price range of most Chinese, the country has also seen the growth of middle and upper classes which can both afford one and see it as a status symbol.

Many Chinese also rely on a smartphone as their primary computing device, making it easier to justify financially.

Apple sold 47.5 million iPhones worldwide during the June quarter, contributing to the lion's share of the company's $49.6 billion in revenue. iPhone units were up 35 percent year-over-year, though Apple didn't specify sales by region.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Didn't analysts say that China was too poor and Apple should release a cheap-ass iPhone?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Didn't analysts say that China was too poor and Apple should release a cheap-ass iPhone?

Yes, that’s exactly what they said. I wish I had the time and money to start a website that collects all the garbage various analysts and pundits have said about Apple only to be proven hilariously wrong. I’d start of course with the video of Steve Ballmer laughing at the iPhone when it was released, “Five hundred dollars? No keyboard?”

• Reply 3 of 10
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Three reasons that China sales are so strong: China Mobile started selling iPhone on Jan 17, 2014, China Mobile deployed LTE last year, Chinese preferred larger screen iPhone 6S.

• Reply 4 of 10
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Three reasons that China sales are so strong: China Mobile started selling iPhone on Jan 17, 2014, China Mobile deployed LTE last year, Chinese preferred larger screen iPhone 6S.

You meant iPhone 6+?

• Reply 5 of 10
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    lkrupp wrote: »

Yes, that’s exactly what they said. I wish I had the time and money to start a website that collects all the garbage various analysts and pundits have said about Apple only to be proven hilariously wrong. I’d start of course with the video of Steve Ballmer laughing at the iPhone when it was released, “Five hundred dollars? No keyboard?”

Phillip Elmer DeWitt does a fine job of collecting all the misinformed and fraudulent advice of "analysts".
  • Reply 6 of 10
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

A couple of weeks ago, when AAPL fell to $119+, it was because all the analysts, commentators, media etc. were focused on the meme that China's stock market was tanking*, so China must be tanking, so Apple must be tanking in China.

Now it's 'guidance', despite the fact that Apple's 4Q guidance range is outside the analyst average estimate, as it has been in the past.

What a load of crock. People will say/believe it's anything.

*(never mind that it was -- still is -- a ridiculously overvalued market, and is little more than a gambling den)

• Reply 7 of 10
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

"We are lucky that Steve Jobs has such a bad temper and doesn't care about China..."

- Liu Chuanzhi, Lenovo CEO, July 2010

Apple is lucky that Tim Cook has such an even temper and cares a lot about China.

Source: http://appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/07/lenovo_says_apple_is_missing_out_in_china_curtains_off_shanghai_store.html

• Reply 8 of 10
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member

Somebody in his family must have shorted! - beyond an irresponsible headline

• Reply 9 of 10
    bzzlinkbzzlink Posts: 10member

I'm traveling around China at the moment, and there sure is a lot of iPhones here. Everyone either has a knock off if they can't afford one, or if they can, they have gone for the 6 plus in gold.

There is also a lot of 4s / 5's to be seen in the hands of people with less money.

Apples "We don't ship junk" is really paying off, in poorer countries as well. It's peoples primary computer, it has to work. And people justify to spend a month or three of their net income to get one.

• Reply 10 of 10
    yan wangyan wang Posts: 1member
    I wish the classmate in the university to see this before proposing her idea that Apple should design a cheaper iPhone for Chinese as China is developing country not like north America and Europe. By the way, the University is from Holland...