802.11and Airport and PCs Oh My!

mjemje
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
:End of witty subject:

I need to know if and how and well, how much somthing like this would be. Let me telll you about the situation I'm in. I have a new PB. Its amadzing. I have a PC that has a built in DSL Modem. I need broadband on PB badly! And if I;m goning to spend some cash might as while go 802.11. So here is where you guys come in. Is there a way I can use my PC as a 'sever' to an 802.11 staion hooked up (Airport is a lil to expensive) and use an Airport card in my PB. What would I need? I don't have an ethernet card in the PC (I didn't buy it) Can I just install a card and Hook it up to a base staion and run wirelessly. Do I need a Hub? Special software for my PC? Is it even possible? External DSL modem? I'm not sure the best way to approach this. Any input would be great appreciated. Thanks for getting my network (or lack of it) unwired.

-MJE

P.S. Monitors feel free to move me as you wish (my post that is)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    What OS on the PC? If you buy a network card for it, and a reasonably cheap wireless access point, you can plug the access point into the PC and share your internet connection. If you're using Win2k or XP, right click on the internet connection in network settings and go the the internet sharing tab. Check the box, and you're good to go. It's rather straightforward.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    mjemje Posts: 91member
    Sorry I can't belive I let that slip, This PC has windows 98. Is this still possible w or w/o software? How safe/secure would it be?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Windows 98 isn't safe or secure. You'd be better off upgrading to Windows 2000 or XP.

Otherwise, there are 3rd party programs that exist to help with internet sharing. I don't have any hands on experience with any of them though.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mjemje Posts: 91member
    I dont need to share a network w/ my PC. Would it be stupid to just buy an external DSL modem and hook it up to a basestation? I found one for ~ 100 bucks. IS that what most people do that just have 1 computer?

Thanks again

-mJE
  • Reply 5 of 5
    That's what I would do. Look into a wired/wireless router. Netgear makes a very nice one.