Apple fixes 2015 MacBook Pro flash storage issue in firmware update

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited July 2015
Apple on Wednesday pushed out a MacBook Pro firmware update to address issues users of 2015 models were seeing with corrupted data.

Apple recommends mid-2015 MacBook Pro owners download and install the MacBook Pro Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.0, as the problem, while rare, is a real threat to critical data stored locally on the laptop's internal SSDs. Interestingly, Apple does not specify if the update applies only to the 15-inch version, which is assigned the "mid-2015" moniker, or the 13-inch model considered an "early-2015" model as well.

The mid-2015 model was released in May with internals component upgrades and a pressure-sensitive Force Touch trackpad. The 15-inch model's debut was preceded by the 13-inch version, which also brought Force Touch and faster flash storage to the laptop line.

Apple's MacBook Pro Flash Storage Firmware Update 1.0 comes in at 1.9MB and can be downloaded through Apple's website

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    nigbonigbo Posts: 2member
    This is not applicable for the 2015 13" model. I tried it and it said: not necessary for your model. So it seems only for the 15" MacBook Pro from May.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    My 13" 2015 MBP seems to have high kernel CPU usage whenever anything else is using more than a few percent CPU, and it gets stuck with a black screen on wake sometimes. Maybe this will fix it, sometimes these things can be related.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    bocboc Posts: 72member
    I would assume the Firmware documentation would state which models and that the software would not run on Macs that the firmware was not supposed to be on.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Yes:

Board IDs = "Mac-06F11FD93F0323C5", "Mac-06F11F11946D27C5"

SSDs = "SM256G", "SM512G", "SM1024G"

SSD revision = "BXW1PA0Q"

• Reply 5 of 6
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smalM View Post

SSD revision = "BXW1PA0Q"

Samsung drives... the firmware code is in the Samsung numbering format.

• Reply 6 of 6
    etkaletkal Posts: 10member
    My 13" Early 2015 Macbook Pro Retina does not show any updates required. It has SM0512G BXW1EA0Q (one letter off). I don't see a Board ID listed anywhere in the system report though...