Sony offers Commercial CDs with recordable sections

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
<a href="http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.asp?RelatedID=2352"; target="_blank">Sony's Postscribed CD's </a>

Sony Japan today announced a new technology called "Postscribed ID" for used with CD-ROMs. With the current CD-ROM technology, we cannot place additional record of data once the disc has been produced. Sony with the "Postscribed ID" technology, can add additional record of ID data on the signal side of a CD-ROM disk using a high output semiconductor laser by developing high precision position control technology of special reflective film material and a micron level...

Since record of ID data is performed in the position defined based on the CD-ROM standard, read-out of ID data is possible at almost all CD-ROM correspondence drive marketed. In addition, use of ID data is performed combining the exclusive software united with the use purpose.

"Postscribed ID" is carrying out additional record of 6-28 bytes of ID data to the appointed domain based on the CD-ROM standard. By recording a title number, a serial number, etc., user's registration, discernment/attestation of a regular user, and prevention of double access and distribution of a code key are carried out, and offer of the service which specialized in every user etc. is enabled.

Moreover, since an order person can also define ID data, it is realizable to record a member number etc. and to distribute CD-ROM etc.

Sony will use "Postscribed ID" to various CD-ROM applications, such as software for computers, education, publication, a promotion, and training.

"Postscribed ID main features"

1) Adds individual information (ID data) for CD-ROM discs. It is possible to record various data [such as a serial number..].

2) It is based on a CD-ROM standard.

"Postscribed ID" is based on the CD-ROM standard (yellow book).

3) Reading in the existing CD-ROM correspondence drive is possible.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    This sounds like an excellent way to end Piracy in some ways as well as make living with CD's better. Say you have a nice new Game but it won't play without the CD in the Drive. Well maybe something like this Postscribed CD can authorize that Game for a single Machine. You could then install the whole CD to your HD and play the game without worrying about keeping your Game CD's close by. I'm sure there are other uses as well.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    But doesn't the owner of the game have a right to play it on more than one machine? What happens when you upgrade your computer? Is your new machine now incompatible with your old discs?

Nah.

I used to be an honest CD buyer, but now I'm thinking I'd have done better not to part with the few thousand bucks I've dropped on CD's in my life.

The more I read about crap like this, the more I want to put all my faith in the crackers/pirates' art and just wait for the crack, and stop dropping money on products I can't even use properly.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    This doesn't happen very often, but I completely agree with Matsu.

Anything that makes it harder for me to use the CDs I purchase however the hell I damn well please is bull****.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    The content industry is run by fools. Any scheme they come up with will be hacked & cracked before it's even in widespread distribution.

I own a bunch of music CDs that I paid for. When Napster was running I was buying CDs all the time. I haven't bought a single CD since it was shut down.

This technology is only the tip of the iceberg. Hollywood <a href="http://www.politechbot.com/p-03578.html"; target="_blank">wants total control</a>.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by glurx:

<strong>The content industry is run by fools. Any scheme they come up with will be hacked & cracked before it's even in widespread distribution.

I own a bunch of music CDs that I paid for. When Napster was running I was buying CDs all the time. I haven't bought a single CD since it was shut down.

This technology is only the tip of the iceberg. Hollywood <a href="http://www.politechbot.com/p-03578.html"; target="_blank">wants total control</a>.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I completely, wholly, stongly, seriously, and overwhelmingly agree.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Their Control Machinations are unbelievable. WE keep them alive with our purchases yet we're considered thieves. Their paranoia will be the end of themselves.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    Could <a href="http://www.urbanreflex.com/may24_02/record.html"; target="_blank">this</a> be the new RIAA copy protection scheme?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Remember that this isn't They just yet, its just little old Sony.

Therefore, flame Sony for inventing the technology that They use to make your life just That Much Crappier?.