How to keep third-party apps active on your Apple Watch, rather than returning to the clock

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited July 2015
By default, the Apple Watch acts as first and foremost as a watch, displaying the time when a user raises their wrist. But the settings on the Apple Watch also allow users to have the device operate more like a smartphone, resuming the last activity.

As anyone who has tried exercising with a third-party Apple Watch app knows, after a short period of time, the device will return to displaying the default clock face when they raise their wrist. Luckily, there's a simple fix for those who would rather have third-party apps stay in the foreground.

On the Apple Watch, users can open the Settings app, then select General, and then Activate on Wrist Raise. Scroll down to Resume To and switch the checked item to Last Used App.

This setting can also be enabled on the iPhone's Apple Watch app. Again, open General, then scroll down to Activate on Wrist Raise, and switch to Resume Previous Activity.

After doing this, the Apple Watch will always default to whatever the user was doing last when they raise their wrist. And so third-party apps -- like when running with Runkeeper, for example --?can continue to display information while a user is exercising.

It should be noted that there are some native, Apple-built apps that will override the default functionality and continue to be displayed on the Apple Watch when a user raises their wrist, regardless of settings.

For example, when using the Workout app for an activity, app remains open for the duration of the exercise. Because of this, users can have the watch display current time, pace, distance, or heart rate on a run, or another type of activity.

In addition, the Remote app used for controlling an Apple TV or a Mac running iTunes also remains active. This allows a user to quickly play or pause their content without needing to re-open the Remote app on their watch.

But outside of those two, even Apple's own apps, including Music, Messages and Maps, will return to the clock face after a long enough idle time in between wrist raises. Changing the "Resume To" setting will fix that, for users who would rather have their Apple Watch act like a smartphone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Thank. You! I was wondering how to do that!
  • Reply 2 of 13

That's a good tip, but I still miss having an option to keeping the screen on at all times. This would be helpful, for example, when biking and wanting to check map directions or check what song is playing.

Another possible nice option would be to always show a specific app whenever you raise your wrist. Currently you can only select last used or return to clock. So my idea is that you could open one app (any), have the watch screen turn off when you lower your arm and when you raise it again, the specific app you chose in the config would pop-up.

• Reply 3 of 13
    "This allows a user to quickly play or pause their content without needing to re-open the Remote app on their watch."

What is he talking about? There is no Remote app on the %uF8FFWatch in v1.0.1 that I've found.
    Is he referring to WatchOS 2 beta?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince Brian View Post

Thank. You! I was wondering how to do that!

Bookmark this: https://help.apple.com/watch/

• Reply 5 of 13
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlyingDP View Post

"This allows a user to quickly play or pause their content without needing to re-open the Remote app on their watch."

What is he talking about? There is no Remote app on the %uF8FFWatch in v1.0.1 that I've found.

Is he referring to WatchOS 2 beta?

The Remote app is built-in to Apple Watch, right out of the box -- no need for beta software. The icon is a play button, much like the Remote app for iPhone/iPad.

• Reply 6 of 13
    friedmudfriedmud Posts: 165member
    I use this all the time to keep Reminders Nano open to my grocery list while I shop.

Very handy!
  • Reply 7 of 13
    justinpejustinpe Posts: 32member
    I use this a lot mainly for At Bat. I like to be keep tabs on day games while at work, and this makes checking the score as easy as looking at my wrist. Looking forward to 3rd party complications for this too!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    groukasgroukas Posts: 2member
    An easier way to go back (for me) is to double press the digital crown. That lets me keep the default to showing the clock face, but if I want to back to the last app used, the double press gets me there.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    justinpe wrote: »
    I use this a lot mainly for At Bat. I like to be keep tabs on day games while at work, and this makes checking the score as easy as looking at my wrist. Looking forward to 3rd party complications for this too!
    I've been loving this too! I tried opening the MLB app on the watch when I first got it and it took so long to do anything I thought it didn't work. I forgot about it for a month or so and tried it again. I just LOVE being able to get the basics on my watch when I can't watch the game...
    (Too bad I'm a Phillies fan!)
  • Reply 10 of 13
    You are all missing one great option -- again. As said once before in this forum, there always is the possibility to return to the last used app (!) -- even if you were using a glance in between -- by double pressing the digital crown.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    I ride a bike between 16 and 22 miles each afternoon. I use the built in Activity app AND Runtastic Pro in parallel. Runtastic maps my rides and tells me how far I've gone every fives minutes over the music I'm listening to with my Radsone LTS music player app that I can control with the ?WATCH built in music app and glance. The built in Activity app displays my total distance and calories burned (my choice) plus the digital current time in the upper right corner. Double punch of the crown button toggles between the two activity apps. But the Apple Activity app remains the dominant app displayed even if I last used Runtastic Pro. I like it that way because both time and caleries burned are displayed. Runtastic Pro is telling me my progress in the form of a lovely British woman's voice every five minutes plus each time I complete a mile. Force Touch on the Runtastic Pro ?WATCH display reveals both End and Pause/Resume buttons. Pressing Pause/Resume correctly plays the lovely British woman's voice feedback.

At the end of the ride when you press End it lets me select both my mood and terrain then share them on both Facebook and Twitter. Meanwhile Apple's built in Activity app doesn't let you do anything except SAVE the ride report to your Activity report for each day. So both apps are complementary and do different things both during and after the ride.

I'll let you know how this setting change effects my routine. Thank you very much for explaining this detail in settings.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

This would also be good to drain your battery real fast, then somehow wonder why you watch doesn't last the day.

• Reply 13 of 13
    friedmudfriedmud Posts: 165member

@foggyhill  actually an app like this still "goes to sleep" after a long period of not looking at your watch... similar to the way iPhone apps "in the background" eventually get moved out of memory and when you reopen them they do a quick reload.  You can see it happen in certain Apps when you raise your wrist.

I'm not sure what the timeout time is though...