New 'iPhone 6s' leak shows parts such as unified flex cables, camera and home button rings

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015
A series of parts for Apple's alleged "iPhone 6s," leaked on Thursday, appear to back claims that Apple is optimizing the internal design of its next iPhone while leaving the outside relatively unchanged.

One of these is a unified flex cable connecting internal components like the rear camera, LED flash, and power and volume controls to the logic board, according to French site Nowhereelse. In the iPhone 6, Apple depends on two separate cables to achieve the same connections.

Other parts indicate that the new phone's rear camera will once again have a protruding exterior ring. That element has been a minor point of criticism with the iPhone 6, since it breaks with the flush design of past iPhones and prevents the device from laying perfectly flat.

Apple also appears to be sticking with an identical home/Touch ID button design. A leaked part is coated in the same "champagne" gold option available to current iPhone shoppers, and matches the tone of a supposed shell for the iPhone 6s Plus.

Both the 6s and 6s Plus are expected to be announced this fall, likely in September, and sport better specifications like A9 processors and 2 gigabytes of RAM. The phones' front and rear cameras should jump to 5 and 12 megapixels, respectively.

Some rumors have suggested that Apple will switch to tougher 7000-series aluminum, and add a "rose gold" color option, taking cues from the Apple Watch. To date, though, only a little evidence has surfaced to support either claim.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    Damn protruding camera !!
  • Reply 2 of 34
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hmm...my iPhone 6 doesn't have a problem laying flat. Do I have a lemon? And knowing that Apple redesigns its phones every 2 years did anyone really expect the protruding camera to be gone this year?
  • Reply 3 of 34
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Based on iPhone 6/6+ sales, noone gives a flying **** about the protruding camera, except an infinitesimally tiny percentage of vocal forum dwellers. 

• Reply 4 of 34
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member

I use an Apple leather case and the camera doesn't protrude a bit.

• Reply 5 of 34
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Based on iPhone 6/6+ sales, noone gives a flying **** about the protruding3 camera, except an infinitesimally tiny percentage of vocal forum dwellers. 

Actually it is only the self proclaimed " I'm better than any Apple engineer and they still will not hire me" that they claim they could have done a better job, who are complaining.
  • Reply 6 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    clemynx wrote: »

Think of it as a centering ring!
  • Reply 7 of 34
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

I use an Apple leather case and the camera doesn't protrude a bit.

Same here.

• Reply 8 of 34
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member

Can't wait to get all the enhancements in September by turning in my year-old 6+ 128 on AT&T's Next plan and just have to pay sales tax!

• Reply 9 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    Actually it is only the self proclaimed " I'm better than any Apple engineer and they still will not hire me" that they claim they could have done a better job, who are complaining.

Vanity seems to be the issue here. I could see complaining if I used my iPhone without a case but I don't so not much to be said. The only really puzzling thing here is why didn't Apple add a support opposite the camera ring to balance the design for those that go case less. Put the flash in the opposite ring and all would be good.
  • Reply 10 of 34
    yooforyoofor Posts: 3member

"Some rumors have suggested that Apple will switch to tougher 7000-series aluminum, and add a"rose gold" color option, taking cues from the Apple Watch. To date, though, only a little evidence has surfaced to support either claim."

Funny evidence is right in that picture (2nd one in the original post). It says "6s rose gold" in Chinese.

• Reply 11 of 34
    yooforyoofor Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Some rumors have suggested that Apple will switch to tougher 7000-series aluminum, and add a "rose gold" color option, taking cues from the Apple Watch. To date, though, only a little evidence has surfaced to support either claim.

Funny in that picture right there it says "6s rose gold" in Chinese.

• Reply 12 of 34
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member

At this point, I am just waiting for iPhone 6s, protruding camera or not. My iPhone 5 is getting dated.

• Reply 13 of 34
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Vanity seems to be the issue here. I could see complaining if I used my iPhone without a case but I don't so not much to be said. The only really puzzling thing here is why didn't Apple add a support opposite the camera ring to balance the design for those that go case less. Put the flash in the opposite ring and all would be good.

I don't use a case and never have, but imo, it isn't even noticeable. People who do complain about this are just looking for something to complain about. 

The only thing I worried about was the camera lens is sitting directly on the surface, but I think they were confident in the material covering it, a confidence I share - I'm pretty rough with my phones and while there is scratching on bottom half of the metal ring around it from being set and slid around, the lens looks as new as the day I got it. 

• Reply 14 of 34
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    wizard69 wrote: »

All would be goofy, not good. That would give the back a face, instead of the deliberate asymmetry it's always had.

Anyway, people are crazy to set their phone down flat on a hard surface on either side. Microscopic grit and dust can scratch. If they're going to be fussy about this, they should go all the way and always use some kind of pad. Problem solved.
  • Reply 15 of 34

WTH! Just how does this little collection of bits constitute a news item? This barrel has no bottom to scrape.

• Reply 16 of 34
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member

iPhone parts have been news items for years now. Welcome to 2011.

• Reply 17 of 34
    I never even noticed the protruding camera until I read this article... :D
  • Reply 18 of 34
    radster360 wrote: »
    At this point, I am just waiting for iPhone 6s, protruding camera or not. My iPhone 5 is getting dated.

I thought I was the only one on this forum still using an iPhone 5.

I'm so gonna love having more than 16 GB this time around!
  • Reply 19 of 34
    WTH! Just how does this little collection of bits constitute a news item? This barrel has no bottom to scrape.

Pictures! This article had pictures!
  • Reply 20 of 34
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

iPhone parts have been news items for years now. Welcome to 2011.

I miss the old days of blurry pics of boxes on a crate. We'd try to make out the specs on the packaging.

Today, we pretty much know what the next iPhone will be before it's launched.