Question about suspicious webpage aimed at Mac users

Posted:
in Mac Software edited August 2015

Hi. I wasn't sure which forum was best for this post, or whether I should even post it in Apple Insider.

Anyway, tonight I was using Safari to access Rotten Tomatoes (rottentomatoes.com). I use the site often, but tonight this page popped up while I was on the Rotten Tomatoes site:

http://cdn.freefacia.com/lp/?appid=1755&subid=94c91f8d-b375-472d-a8f2-f13e849f0373&c8=service.srvmd30s.com&btp_h=7b42d00002f7074f00a195042c154cdf

It happened twice. It didn’t pop up in a new window or tab -- it loaded in the same tab as Rotten Tomatoes, thus replacing the Rotten Tomatoes page. 

I don't use "Media Downloader" and the I've never seen a webpage pop up like this when viewing Rotten Tomatoes. So the page seems very suspicious to me.

Something else suspicious:

Earlier when viewing Rotten Tomatoes, I got a message saying my version of Flash was out of date. I didn't trust the link for downloading Flash on the page with the message so I went to Adobe's website and downloaded and installed the latest version. But after installing it, I later got a message when viewing Rotten Tomatoes again saying Flash was outdated.

Until tonight, I'd never gotten such messages when accessing Rotten Tomatoes.

Could I be infected with adware or could something else be wrong?

Thanks.

M

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Eh, you’ll see things like that from time to time. The trick is to just never download anything unless you know where it’s coming from, and don’t open any files unless you know where they came from.

Delete Flash, get an ad blocker, and you should be good to go in the future, since even if you see a pop-under page again, you’ll know that it isn’t legitimate.

• Reply 2 of 3
    mirskymirsky Posts: 30member

Tallest Skil, thanks for responding so fast and for the advice.

I am pretty careful with opening/downloading files.

After I posted my message here, I ran an app called Adware Medic. It found a few supposed adware files, so I deleted them and rebooted my Mac.

I haven't deleted Flash yet because it's used by a few sites I frequent. But I will consider uninstalling it. 

Thanks again!

• Reply 3 of 3
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member