Microsoft brings Outlook to Apple Watch with quick actions, custom notifications

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2015
Microsoft on Thursday released an official Outlook app for the Apple Watch, allowing people to check, manage, and reply to email from their wrist.

Primarily, the Watch app is intended for browsing messages, whether in its full form or in Glance mode. The Glance also offers a summary of any upcoming calendar events.

One difference with some other Watch email apps is that Microsoft promises custom notifications that highlight important messages and allow for quick actions. Users can for instance reschedule something, or archive messages.

Notifications also show a substantial portion of each incoming email, which may sometimes save the need to even open the app.

To reply to email the app supports emoji, voice dictation, and a selection of canned responses. Anything more complex requires opening Outlook's parent iPhone app.

The Apple Watch app is included with the iPhone software, which is a free download for devices running iOS 8 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Have we learned nothing from 20 years of using Microsoft Outlook? It's a trap.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

The new Microsoft Reality. 

Would have been smarter to accept it years ago...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2012/01/30/steve-ballmer-willing-to-pay-230-per-phone-to-beat-apple-google/

But you know how Microsoft management was (and still is.)

• Reply 3 of 22
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Why would Microsoft bring an app to a product that's a flop? /s
  • Reply 4 of 22
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Remind me ... who or what's Microsoft? :D
  • Reply 5 of 22

I'm sorry, the purpose of this Watch is just not going to have the cultural impact as the iPhone or iPad. It's a cool little gadget, but its offerings don't do hardly anything better than what an iPhone would do that you are most likely carrying with you as well. 

Every little 'app' I see that gets released for this Watch just makes me instantly say, "still better on a phone."

And don't try to come at me with numbers - I get it, the Watch has crushed it in the market (as does every other new Apple product in the last decade). But the longevity of this device does not have the upside right now. 

• Reply 6 of 22
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

I'm sorry, the purpose of this Watch is just not going to have the cultural impact as the iPhone or iPad. It's a cool little gadget, but its offerings don't do hardly anything better than what an iPhone would do that you are most likely carrying with you as well. 

Every little 'app' I see that gets released for this Watch just makes me instantly say, "still better on a phone."

And don't try to come at me with numbers - I get it, the Watch has crushed it in the market (as does every other new Apple product in the last decade). But the longevity of this device does not have the upside right now. 

Disclaimer: I don't own an Apple Watch, but possibly will by 2nd or 3rd generation...

You've got to remember, the same was said about the first iPhone. Lots of, "no 3g (cellular)" this, "only on ATT" that. I didn't purchase the first generation iPhone either. I did however purchase the first generation iPad and looking back, as much as I enjoyed using that, I wish I had waited till the 2nd generation iPad.

I think one of Apple's under recognized abilities is that they iterate/improve, constantly but regularly. It seems that some other manufactures launch hits (sometimes) and then just don't keep pushing things forward. Look at the iPod; sales are in decline (obviously) and there is no longer a market for a device that just plays mp3's (though the iPod touch could be restaurants new favorite device), but if you look at the history of that device, or iPhone, or iPad, and lets not forget the Mac (desktops and portables), they're always being updated (until they're replaced; iPod Classic).

We'll see how well they can iterate on the Watch though and see if that upside materializes or if you're right, with time.

• Reply 7 of 22
    Never again, too little, too late
    Microsoft has sealed its fate
    Let naysayers bubble with hate
    But never more will I feel irate
  • Reply 8 of 22
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    This is simply replicating functionality already provided by Apple, but for users of Outlook.

The Apple Watch is a great watch that also happens to provide some cool additional features when paired with an iPhone. It is not and never will be an iPhone replacement. Trying to cram apps designed for phones or tablets into a tiny screen just does not make sense. Perhaps someday it'll have a holographic projector and render 3D images that you can interact with naturally - but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for such a thing. I'm still waiting for the flying cars that were promised in the '50s. Sometimes reality bites.
  • Reply 9 of 22
    rogifan wrote: »
    Why would Microsoft bring an app to a product that's a flop? /s

They hope that once iOS and Android users discover the joys of Outlook and Cortana, they'll take an interest in Microsoft's Crown Jewels: Windows.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

No one gives a **** what you think of the Apple Watch, sorry to tell you.  This thread is about Outlook for Apple Watch. We don't need the same, tired "Why I don't care about the Watch" rants in every damn thread related to the product. Also, I don't recall anyone at Apple stating this will have "the same cultural impact as iPhone", so nice strawman. The problem with people like you is that you have zero imagination as to the future applications of this product, beyond what it can do this very second.  

• Reply 11 of 22
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Nice.

The new MSFT CEO seems to know what he's doing.

Focus on software and stop worrying about trying to avoid giving Apple devices your software.

Now they just need to make better versions of Office on Mac

Have you used the latest version?  It is awesome on Mac!

• Reply 12 of 22
    looplessloopless Posts: 325member
    I know several people with Apple Watches- here is a particular use case. Real Estate agents need to be always on top of messages/emails. But it is really rude to be continually pulling out a phone and checking messages in the presence of a client. A quick unobtrusive glance to their Apple Watch to check the incoming message and deciding if they need to deal with it is a HUGE boon to them. They love the Watch. There are many other types of people in similar roles.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

No one gives a **** what you think of the Apple Watch, sorry to tell you.  This thread is about Outlook for Apple Watch. We don't need the same, tired "Why I don't care about the Watch" rants in every damn thread related to the product. Also, I don't recall anyone at Apple stating this will have "the same cultural impact as iPhone", so nice strawman. The problem with people like you is that you have zero imagination as to the future applications of this product, beyond what it can do this very second.  

LOL, what are you, 15 years old? That has to be one of the most immature, one minded responses I've ever read after years of visiting this site. This is mostly why I visit the site multiple times a day but usually reserve my comments to myself. Congrats on sticking up for your beloved Apple for the day. 

• Reply 14 of 22
    Quote:

LOL, what are you, 15 years old? That has to be one of the most immature, one minded responses I've ever read after years of visiting this site. This is mostly why I visit the site multiple times a day but usually reserve my comments to myself. Congrats on sticking up for your beloved Apple for the day. 

No, it wasn't one-minded. It was completely appropriate for your irrelevant response, which clogs up these threads and prevents any real discussion about the topic. Why do you think anyone cares that you don't like the Watch? That has nothing to do with the topic. It's you who is childish, and yes, please keep your comments to yourself if that's the level of quality and relevancy that you're capable of. Nobody misses those kinds of useless comments. 

• Reply 15 of 22
    Quote:

No, it wasn't one-minded. It was completely appropriate for your irrelevant response, which clogs up these threads and prevents any real discussion about the topic. Why do you think anyone cares that you don't like the Watch? That has nothing to do with the topic. It's you who is childish, and yes, please keep your comments to yourself if that's the level of quality and relevancy that you're capable of. Nobody misses those kinds of useless comments. 

Wah wah wah. Take a look at every thread on this site, crybaby. Every single one goes off topic. 

• Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

I suppose if I used this thread to say how much I love the Watch you wouldn't tell me to keep my opinion to myself, would you? 

• Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

I suppose if I used this thread to say how much I love the Watch you wouldn't tell me to keep my opinion to myself, would you? 

If you actually OWNED the Watch and loved it, yes, it would be slightly more relevant to the topic than just bitching about a product you don't know or use, in a thread about a new app for that product, but still pretty irrelevant.

But it does't look like your level or reasoning allows you to make such obvious logical conclusions. 

• Reply 18 of 22
    Quote:

If you actually OWNED the Watch and loved it, yes, it would be slightly more relevant to the topic than just bitching about a product you don't know or use, in a thread about a new app for that product, but still pretty irrelevant.

But it does't look like your level or reasoning allows you to make such obvious logical conclusions. 

My brother and coworker both own the Watch, trust me I've had more experience with it than most. It's a decent product from an amazing company. Have a good day! 

• Reply 19 of 22
    Quote:

My brother and coworker both own the Watch, trust me I've had more experience with it than most. It's a decent product from an amazing company. Have a good day! 

Again, what does this have to do with the topic "Microsoft brings Outlook to Apple Watch with quick actions, custom notifications"?

Absolutely nothing. 

• Reply 20 of 22
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    slurpy wrote: »

Just out of curiosity... you talked with everyone before posting that?

I like to hear different opinions, in general. Will I agree or not is completely different question... but it's good to realize different angles.