Apple's Jay Blahnik outlines Apple Watch health and fitness strategy, future device features in inte

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2015
In an interview published this week, Jay Blahnik, Apple's director of Fitness and Health Technologies, spoke at length about Apple Watch hardware and software, explaining how the device came into being, it's merits as a fitness monitor and where he thinks it's going with watchOS 2.

Talking to Outside magazine, Blahnik offered rare, unfiltered insight into Apple's first wearables project, revealing the device's beginnings and plans for the future. The fitness guru, who previously consulted on Nike's FuelBand and Nike+ Running products, was hired by Apple in 2013 to start work on a then-secret wearable device initiative.

While Watch was in its planning phase, Apple wanted to distill fitness and health tracking down to the essential, Blahnik said. The idea spawned Apple Watch's Activity app which visualizes preset fitness goals as three concentric rings, one each for Move, Stand and Exercise.

"The team really focused on saying, 'As fitness and activity and trends come and go, what would always be a good recommendation?'" he said. "It came down to sit less, move more, and get some exercise."

Small but well thought out features like Activity rings sets Watch apart as an effective motivational tool capable of pushing both athletes and sedentary users to modify their everyday routines.

"Like everyone, I'm addicted to closing the rings," Blahnik said. "I'll find myself going for that extra walk around the block at 9 p.m. if a ring isn't closed."

According to Blahnik, watchOS 2 will feature mid-week Activity summaries that plot stats out on a graph, giving users even more incentive to complete their goals. Temporal movement tracking is another standout feature for Watch. Unlike other fitness trackers, Watch keeps constant tabs on user movement, allowing for a more granular breakdown of how and when calories were burned. The device is even able to determine a user's fitness level over time to more accurately calculate calorie burn, Blahnik said.

Another standout feature is Stand, which fights sedentary behavior by reminding users to stay active throughout the day. Even elite athletes are learning more about their sedentary tendencies thanks to Apple Watch, Blahnik said.

"We're hearing from elite athletes who say, 'I never really thought I needed an activity tracker, because I get up in the morning and do a three-hour bike ride or I run ten miles. But I found out that I'm sitting a lot.' They're motivated by that. Or they're learning that they're actually burning more calories than they realized by moving throughout the day," Blahnik said, adding, "It's not just a beginner sort of story."

Looking to the future, Blahnik said the next big thing for Watch is native apps, a feature set to debut with watchOS 2 this fall. With today's version of watchOS, apps offload data to a tethered iPhone for processing. When watchOS 2 arrives, developers will be able to run apps natively and tap into Watch's suite of onboard sensors.

Along with faster performance, the change means third-party fitness apps will be able to track workout sessions natively, for example. Apple plans to keep Activity as Watch's core health and fitness aggregator, and will pipe in data from third-party apps.

Blahnik hinted at future compatibility with connected health and fitness devices, from weight scales to bicycle training gear. Currently, Watch's connectivity options are limited to iPhone and certain Bluetooth devices like external heart monitors and headphones.

Apple plans to release watchOS 2 to customers this fall and is already well into the beta testing process. Features include native app support, third-party complications, Activation Lock support, new watch faces and more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 44
    Add swimming to the workout app and I'll be a happy camper.
  • Reply 2 of 44
    [QUOTE]Currently, Watch's connectivity options are limited to iPhone and Bluetooth headphones.[/QUOTE]

This is incorrect. You can pair Apple Watch to Bluetooth heart rate chest straps.
  • Reply 3 of 44
    Add swimming to the workout app and I'll be a happy camper.

Just keep that one wrist above water and you're good to go.
  • Reply 4 of 44
    No need. The watch is water proof.
  • Reply 5 of 44
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Yawn. Wanted to read about roadmap stuff, not just get another advertisement. Are they fundamentally opposed to GPS, or are they working on it, or are they otherwise constrained? Are they considering a swim version that might forego the speaker/mic? What might 14nm bring to the party? Are there always-on display technologies they're considering, like on the LG Urbane?

There's catching up to be done here ! Stop telling me about a circular version of the chart every $50 fitness band has! I want to want one.

/drunken_rant
  • Reply 6 of 44
    felixerfelixer Posts: 34member
    larrya wrote: »
    Yawn. Wanted to read about roadmap stuff, not just get another advertisement. Are they fundamentally opposed to GPS, or are they working on it, or are they otherwise constrained? Are they considering a swim version that might forego the speaker/mic? What might 14nm bring to the party? Are there always-on display technologies they're considering, like on the LG Urbane?

There's catching up to be done here ! Stop telling me about a circular version of the chart every $50 fitness band has! I want to want one.

/drunken_rant

Nobody cares about your complaints.
  • Reply 7 of 44
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

/drunken_rant

So, you want them to reveal a roadmap they never have before... Letting the competition know everything!  Huh! Not going to happen.

As for the swimmer's watch. I think your in for a very very long wait.

• Reply 8 of 44
    bat catbat cat Posts: 42member
    Whilst I agree that the headline suggested greater insight into the future development path, the article was still interesting. The watch has genuinely changed my habits and exactly as Blahnik suggests I find myself going for a walk/run/ride at 2200 just get those rings closed. It is the aspect of the watch which has most impacted my day to day experience. As a precious fitness band user, the key difference is the integration into the phone data and the rest of the apple Eco-system. I'm no longer fighting to constantly reconcile and consolidate data from multiple sources anymore. Once 3rd party apps like Nike running get full access to the watch I will be even happier. I found it really interesting that the watch is having the same effect on the design team consultant, elite athletes and amateurs like myself.
  • Reply 9 of 44
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Blahnik hinted at future compatibility with connected health and fitness devices, from weight scales to bicycle training gear. Currently, Watch's connectivity options are limited to iPhone and Bluetooth headphones.

not so. you can connect to heart rate wearables.
  • Reply 10 of 44
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    larrya wrote: »

as if apples going to reveal their deepest secrets in some magazine interview. get real.

as for gps it's obviously a power consumption issue in the watch's small form factor, as everybody would like to have it. but for now it's fine because after calibrating the watch it's been proven to be very accurate.
  • Reply 11 of 44
    I remember the first iPhone, then came iPhone 3g, it was a game changer. I will wait for the next watch, hopefully at Easter time.
  • Reply 12 of 44
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I've had my watch for 16 days now. And I've been at the Outer Banks on vacation for the last 9.

My watch has been recorded 6 30-minute 'other' workouts - 2 in a swimming pool and 4 in the ocean. At no time was that wrist treated differently than my other. Add in 9 visits to the shower (3 30-minute brisk morning walks to round out my exercise), and I'm good to go.

This watch has changed my  life for the better.

• Reply 13 of 44
    I've had my watch for 16 days now. And I've been at the Outer Banks on vacation for the last 9.

My watch has been recorded 6 30-minute 'other' workouts - 2 in a swimming pool and 4 in the ocean. At no time was that wrist treated differently than my other. Add in 9 visits to the shower (3 30-minute brisk morning walks to round out my exercise), and I'm good to go.

I really love my apple watch. First and foremost it's a great watch. But a word of advice. Keep it out of the water. Especially sea water. You're doing damage you can't see or notice yet but know that damage is being done. Apple is very consistent on the water resistance rating and you're doing all the things they recommend not to. Apple watch has the same rating of some GPS devices like Tom tom and Garmin. You would t take those for a swim or in the shower so don't do it with your apple watch. Unfortunately you're asking for trouble at some point probably soon.
  • Reply 14 of 44
    foggyhill wrote: »
    So, you want them to reveal a roadmap they never have before... Letting the competition know everything!  Huh! Not going to happen.
    As for the swimmer's watch. I think your in for a very very long wait.

"Apple's Jay Blahnik outlines Apple Watch health and fitness strategy, future device features in interview"

They have, in the past, come out against Flash and discussed screen size/quality philosophy.
  • Reply 15 of 44
    felixer wrote: »
    Nobody cares about your complaints.

You did.
  • Reply 16 of 44
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Some surfers have reported subjecting the watch to regular surf sessions for weeks now, with no adverse affects. The watch is clearly more water resistant than Apple is letting on. Whether that remains true after a year, or two is another matter. But I don't really see this watch as a long term investment anyway. That's one of the things that's compelling me to buy a Sport. For $350, I can afford to risk it with at least some reported guarantee I may get a year, or more, of water activities out of it, but the use of ?Pay, keyless entry, and more will be worth it (I still have to find a compatible lock though ... Doesn't seem anyone is beating a path to offer one).

I don't get why anyone is still knocking the watches water-resistance after the independent tests which have been performed since the watch arrived.
  • Reply 17 of 44
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member

Has anyone seen a single report of water damage to an Apple Watch? I've had mine on while swimming and bathing and have only heard stories about how long and deep it can stay under water. I think most users would take the chance if someone published some user statistics outside of Apple.
  • Reply 18 of 44
    pistispistis Posts: 247member
    That must be why the android nerds hate Apple Watch so much - they don't want to be reminded to get up from their computer and actually exercise, this is a great feature for me and it motivates me to do just that
  • Reply 19 of 44
    mattkmattk Posts: 2member

Actually I've been swimming with mine for several weeks on my morning mile swims. No problems at all. Of course it doesn't track laps, but if you use the "Rowing" fitness tracker, it actually does a fairly good job calculating calorie expenditure, as well as logging heart rate (just make sure it is on tight enough).

• Reply 20 of 44
    'You can connect to heart rate wearables'.

That, in a nutshell, is why I'm not buying an Apple Watch. I want one, but only as a replacement for my HRM and chest strap, not a complement. 24/7 health tracking is the aim (even just waking hours while the device charges would be OK) but the simple fact appears to be that the Watch can't measure heart rate activity with anything approaching the reliability of a belt.

Add to that the lack of comprehensive fitness activity tracking and it falls well short of a replacement for my wrist activity tracker that I wear 24/7 plus a Polar HRM and an iOS activity app. I'm no super athlete but I walk, run, swim, do weights, yoga, etc. Apple Watch needs an iPhone and an HR belt strap and an activity app. It's just not good or comprehensive enough.

I'd love it to be. But I cannot justify a device that falls so short, especially one that will be out of date within a year. Maybe one day...

Apple Watch 3?