This week on AppleInsider: Stock market jeopardy, 'iPhone 6s' press event, Apple Music numbers & mor

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2015
This week was tougher for Apple than some others, with serious trouble on the stock market, but the company did make headlines with rumors about a September press event, and the first-ever official Apple Music numbers.

'iCloud Voicemail' may be coming in 2016

On Monday, a report said that Apple is working on an iOS feature called "iCloud Voicemail" that will have Siri answer iPhone calls if a person is unavailable. Siri would also be able to explain where a person is and why they can't answer, and transcribe any messages for later reading.

Apple is said to be testing the feature in preparation for a launch sometime in 2016, possibly alongside iOS 10. The company filed a patent on a similar concept in 2012, but has done relatively little with voicemail since the introduction of the iPhone and Visual Voicemail in 2007.

Apple denies MVNO rumors

In an unusual move, Apple quickly denied rumors that it was trialing its own mobile virtual network operator service. An MVNO simply rides on the networks of other wireless carriers, but can set its own rates for customers, often at a discount over what the carriers themselves charge.

The rumor suggested that any MVNO plans would have to wait up to five years or more, which could still leave room for Apple to pursue the option.

AAPL drags down Dow Jones Industrial Average

Poor performance by Apple stock caused the company to fall below its 200-day moving average, and it was reported that over the past four and a half months, Apple has accounted for 14 percent of losses to the Dow Jones Industrial Average. Apple replaced AT&T in the index on March 19.

Apple shares have been on a downward slide since mid-July. The decline is believed to be linked to third-quarter financial results, which though record-setting were still below some forecasts.

Apple Music hits 11 million subscribers

Thursday saw Apple SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue announce that Apple Music has gained 11 million subscribers so far. Although rumors and estimates of subscriber numbers were circulating previously, Apple itself had yet to weigh in.

The figure may not mean much in the long-term. Since every Apple Music customer is still in the middle of a three-month free trial, the real test will come at the end of September, when people will have to choose whether or not to renew at cost.

Sept. 9 event could showcase new iPhones, iPads, & Apple TV

A late-breaking rumor claimed that Apple will host its next press event on Sept. 9. There the company is expected to promote not just new iPhones, but a next-generation Apple TV, and even new iPads. In recent years, Apple has typically reserved iPad announcements for October.

The rumor noted that it's unclear whether one of those iPads will be the "iPad Pro." The device is predicted to have a 12.9-inch screen, a USB-C port and a pressure-sensitive stylus.

AppleInsider podcast

Editors chatted about a variety of topics, including Wall Street, the MVNO rumors, their favorite apps, and DJI's new Phantom 3 Standard drone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

It's interesting, that they are willing to "tout" the music subscriber numbers specifically,

but not the ?Watch numbers...makes you wonder if, despite more ambiguous pronouncements,

they might be less "toutable" than we'd like...?

• Reply 2 of 12
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    They should take the company off the Dow, just buy it all back.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    boredumb wrote: »
    It's interesting, that they are willing to "tout" the music subscriber numbers specifically,
    but not the ?Watch numbers...makes you wonder if, despite more ambiguous pronouncements,
    they might be less "toutable" than we'd like...?

Are they less than 11 million? Very likely, but does that mean they are bad? Absolutely not. We know they are better than the iPhone and iPad for their first 9 weeks on the market, which makes them better than any Apple product in history.

Look at Spotify's user base. Apple Music is doing quiet well, hence the reporting. There were 1.2 billion watches sold last year so saying they had 3 MM sold in 9 weeks doesn't move that needle for comparison

Also consider how subscriptions work in comparison to HW devices. A company is more likely to tout numbers to encourage usage and sign up.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Are they less than 11 million? Very likely, but does that mean they are bad? Absolutely not. We know they are better than the iPhone and iPad for their first 9 weeks on the market, which makes them better than any Apple product in history.

Look at Spotify's user base. Apple Music is doing quiet well, hence the reporting. There were 1.2 billion watches sold last year so saying they had 3 MM sold in 9 weeks doesn't move that needle for comparison
    Also consider how subscriptions work in comparison to HW devices. A company is more likely to tout numbers to encourage usage and sign up.

Good points.  

I just remain slightly skeptical, and really only time will change that.

Comparing the two "products" isn't necessarily telling, because the early adoption rate

of one may not speak to the long-term 'legs' of the other...

I was simply suggesting that there might be a clue in Apple's willingness to be specific

regarding only one, not the other, but you've suggested a way to interpret that, so...we'll see!

• Reply 5 of 12
    Seeing more apple watches on my walk in the morning.
    My wife bought a Fitbit fob and already lost it.
    She is amazed that watch tells me to get up and do something.
    So am I.
    Love it.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    krreagankrreagan Posts: 218member
    I hope the hell Apple is taking advantage of this "correction" and buy a lot of it's stock!
    They seem to have done so in the past so I expect they will put up a few billions to retire some stock!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    For whatever reason, sales of watches, decent quality up to outrageous prices, are down since the Watch made it's appearance in the market.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    edit: wrong thread
  • Reply 9 of 12
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    Not all current 11 million Apple Music subscribers will stick around, but I predict they'll have at least 11 million paying subscribers by the end of the year. A lot of people haven't even upgraded to 8.4 yet. iOS 9 will bring a new influx as will everyone buying a 6s.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jakeb wrote: »
    Not all current 11 million Apple Music subscribers will stick around, but I predict they'll have at least 11 million paying subscribers by the end of the year. A lot of people haven't even upgraded to 8.4 yet. iOS 9 will bring a new influx as will everyone buying a 6s.

According to Apple 85% of eligible users are running iOS 8. Mixpanel stats say almost 60% are running iOS 8.4.

https://mixpanel.com/trends/#report/apple_music_release/from_date:-29,report_unit:day,to_date:0
  • Reply 11 of 12
    imatimat Posts: 209member

News of carriers abandoning subsidies (such as Verizon if I recall correctly) are more unsettling than to know if the number of Apple Watches sold matches the expectation of analysts or not. Sold is sold. And even if it is lower than expected, it doesn't make much of a difference. And strangely the stock only plummets when the news are good but not as good as some analyst fantasies, but never raises when analyst estimates get crushed.

Stock exchange is indeed a strange beast.

• Reply 12 of 12
    "Poor performance by Apple stock" ????? How does a stock perform??? Does it jump up and down, does it tell jokes???

Long ago, when the value of the stock was actually related to the value of a company, the company performed or not. Now Wall Street expects a company to perform, not by doing well, but rather by creating a fake value to pump up its stock price.

Once the balloon is large enough, those in the know, get out and the company explodes.

Just so sad.