'iPad Pro' expected this fall, will get Force Touch from new pressure-sensitive Apple stylus

Posted:
in iPad edited August 2015
Apple's anticipated jumbo-sized iPad will feature Force Touch input via a new, optional stylus accessory, which will allow for new ways of interacting with the next-generation tablet, according to insider Ming-Chi Kuo.

Pencil
Development studio FiftyThree's iPad stylus is one of dozens already on the market.

The analyst with KGI Securities issued a new research note on Wednesday, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider, in which he portrayed Force Touch input on the rumored 12.9-inch iPad as "an evolution, rather than a revolution."

According to Kuo, the new Bluetooth stylus will be sold separately from the so-called "iPad Pro." He expects Apple to ship about a million styluses, compared to as many as 3.5 million larger iPad models.

Mass production of the 12.9-inch iPad will begin in September and October, he said, with shipment presumably thereafter in time for the holiday shopping season.

The analyst suggested that Cheng Uei will be the sole supplier for the stylus accessory, which would be a strange move for Apple, as the company usually diversifies its supply chain as a conservative measure.

Kuo's dismissal of Force Touch as a driver of sales is also a change for the analyst, who suggested in April that the new pressure-sensitive input method would be the most significant change to the iOS user interface ever. In fact, at the time Kuo thought Force Touch might be such a big deal that the company's next-generation handset could be called the "iPhone 7," rather than the "iPhone 6s."

Stylus
One of Apple's latest filings detailed an iPad stylus with extendable 'multitouch' nib, onboard light and motion sensors.

A stylus may be necessary for Force Touch input to work on an iPad because of poor yield rates with the larger screen size, he said.

"We also believe a Force Touch-enabled stylus will enhance productivity as it would offer more precise operation than using only fingers," Kuo wrote. "Technically, we believe the stylus can be made compatible with iPad models other than the 12.9-inch version, but it depends on the support of software."

No indication was given as to how much Apple's new stylus accessory might cost.

AppleInsider's own sources reaffirmed earlier this year that the "iPad Pro" will indeed ship with a stylus that will feature pressure sensitivity. It's also expected that the 12.9-inch iPad will boast a USB-C connector, as well as wireless NFC connectivity, which could allow the device to be a point of sale terminal for mobile payment services like Apple Pay.

In January of this year, Kuo suggested that Apple's 2015 stylus will be a relatively simple accessory, offering more precise input than fingertips can allow. But he suggested the company may have a more advanced model, featuring 3D handwriting capabilities, in the works for release in the years to come.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 95
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This guy is a joke. One minute hyping force touch as the biggest thing ever, the next downplaying it as "evolutionary". :rolleyes:
  • Reply 2 of 95
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Whether it has a stylus or not, I would consider buying it for the big screen alone.
  • Reply 3 of 95
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This guy is a joke. One minute hyping force touch as the biggest thing ever, the next downplaying it as "evolutionary". image

He may be a joke, but out of all the analysts, he seems to be the most in-the-loop.

• Reply 4 of 95
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    ceek74 wrote: »
    He may be a joke, but out of all the analysts, he seems to be the most in-the-loop.

Actually I would give that title to wonder boy Mark Gurman over at 9to5Mac.
  • Reply 5 of 95
    With a USB 3 connection, the iPad pro could be used as a Wacom Tablet, custom A/V keyboards and additional displays for a Mac.

Once they get Force Touch working on that size display, Apple could reduce the bezels to almost nothing and use it for components of a video wall.
  • Reply 6 of 95
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Kou is guessing, but he may have uncovered Apple source of the stylus thus the reason this rumor is pretty specific in this case. Since he named the source you can bet they will soon be getting a call from Apple and may not have the business for very long. This is the cost I talking to anyone outside Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 95
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    "The analyst suggested that Cheng Uei will be the sole supplier for the stylus accessory, which would be a strange move for Apple, as the company usually diversifies its supply chain as a conservative measure."

This is small potatoes to APple. They wouldn't diversify production of such small quantities yet. It would raise the prices too much and they would focus all their energy and assistance to make sure this one vendor gets it right. Maybe if the quantities rose,they would look to add another supplier.
  • Reply 8 of 95
    It's definitely intriguing. My question would be how this could potentially play in to an Apple TV subscription service as it is a 2K screen based on rumors and web analytics logs and would be big enough as a personal TV connected to an Apple TV hub. Then there are the possibilities with lifestyle apps and enterprise. I'm interested in how they place this device.
  • Reply 9 of 95
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member

I hope FT comes to all the iPads. I'd love to have an Apple stylus, but I'm not sure I'd want a bigger iPad. I like the current size. But I guess I'd have to hold one to know, and a bigger surface is generally, better for sketching. Still I love the compact form of the 9.7".

• Reply 10 of 95
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,311member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

With a USB 3 connection, the iPad pro could be used as a Wacom Tablet, custom A/V keyboards and additional displays for a Mac.

Once they get Force Touch working on that size display, Apple could reduce the bezels to almost nothing and use it for components of a video wall.

This would be the defining ecosystem enhancement to OS X; idle iOS devices become first class extensions of OS X, and even perhaps, vice versa.

• Reply 11 of 95
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member

These things would all work via USB 2 as well.

But speaking of Wacom...are they exclusive in their partnership with Microsoft in the Surface Pro? I'd love apple partnering with the tech leader in pen input. I own two of their intuous tablets already, and would love to replace the small one with a device with a screen and OS, but I'm not quite ready to actually go Microsoft, though I would want something capable of running real photoshop.
  • Reply 12 of 95
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think they have the pro  and amateur AV consumers on their scopes. Depending on the final specs, I think I may lust after one myself.

• Reply 13 of 95

As much as I thought going bigger for the iPad made sense when I first got one (for work), I'm not seeing it now as a smart move, as holding it and interacting with something the size of a 13" laptop screen is going to be problematic.  One only need look at MS's Surface Pro to realize that going bigger almost forces one to have some type of stand, at least when you're doing input demanding operations with it.  But even for consumption activities will become problematic as holding a 1+ lb / .5kg device is going to be tiring.

Perhaps as a Wacom-like input device, it will make sense for design and graphics use, but even then, the flat on the desk format just seems to scream being one half of a product.

I would think that the ideal screen only, stylus driven, device would be a laptop like device that instead of the keyboard half of the clamshell, it simply has a touch input screen or giant trackpad.  

• Reply 14 of 95
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member

And I bet the stylus could just clip onto the side magnetically just like SmartCover. 

Sweet.

• Reply 15 of 95
    inklinginkling Posts: 768member
    Comments:

1. Let's hope Apple doesn't do anything to cripple the functionality of third-party, stylus-like tools such as those from Adobe.

2. It'd be great is app developers could distinguish between finger-touch input and that with the stylus. That'd make the iPad Pro great for proofing and markup. Fingers could be used to move through a document and the stylus used to markup corrections without clumsily shifted modes.

3. It'd also be great if the USB-C/USB 3.0 connectivity is full featured. USB is pitifully crippled on the rest of Apple's tablets.
  • Reply 16 of 95
    doggonedoggone Posts: 377member
    Force touch and the stylus will give developers new angles to make apps.
    What the iPad is missing in the past few years is a new set of uses that can expand its capabilities. Maybe the larger screen size, FT and stylus will be the boost needed to help iPad sales grow again.
  • Reply 17 of 95
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jmgregory1 View Post

As much as I thought going bigger for the iPad made sense when I first got one (for work), I'm not seeing it now as a smart move, as holding it and interacting with something the size of a 13" laptop screen is going to be problematic.  One only need look at MS's Surface Pro to realize that going bigger almost forces one to have some type of stand, at least when you're doing input demanding operations with it.  But even for consumption activities will become problematic as holding a 1+ lb / .5kg device is going to be tiring.

Perhaps as a Wacom-like input device, it will make sense for design and graphics use, but even then, the flat on the desk format just seems to scream being one half of a product.

I would think that the ideal screen only, stylus driven, device would be a laptop like device that instead of the keyboard half of the clamshell, it simply has a touch input screen or giant trackpad.  

I think you are correct. As an artist I envision using it on a desk as a work tool rather than as for casual mobile consumption. Same with audio work. I do not envision this type of product as something you use in place of an iPhone. As for video consumption, I plan on plopping it down somewhere and enjoying the show rather than holding it with my hands.

On another note, as much as I wanted a smaller iPad for the supposed convenience of it, I have found out that for me the smaller size does not add to the experience as I thought I would. And this is especially true for 8" Android tablets. Web pages on 8" Android devices render like  phone apps where you always need to zoom and are much easier to read on an iPhone or regular size iPad.

8" Android devices are useless unless you plan on using for dedicated apps like Flipboard.

• Reply 18 of 95
    ingela wrote: »
    jmgregory1 wrote: »

I think you are correct. As an artist I envision using it on a desk as a work tool rather than as for casual mobile consumption. Same with audio work. I do not envision this type of product as something you use in place of an iPhone. As for video consumption, I plan on plopping it down somewhere and enjoying the show rather than holding it with my hands.

I agree!   I think that most of the attitude issues (flat, low-angle slant, upright) can be addressed with a case -- for example the iPad 2 case with the magnets (the one where you bought the iPad 2 - just so yu could use the case).

[/QUOTE]

On another note, as much as I wanted a smaller iPad for the supposed convenience of it, I have found out that for me the smaller size does not add to the experience as I thought I would. And this is especially true for 8" Android tablets. Web pages on 8" Android devices render like  phone apps where you always need to zoom and are much easier to read on an iPhone or regular size iPad.

8" Android devices are useless unless you plan on using for dedicated apps like Flipboard.
    [/quote]
  • Reply 19 of 95
    cwscws Posts: 59member
    What is most compelling about the iPad Pro is that it is a laptop killer. For the 70 percent of people who use their laptops for routine tasks like email, web browsing and word processing, the iPad Pro, coupled with a stylus and bluetooth keyboard cover, will be the hands-down product of choice. This is especially true now that Microsoft has made truly excellent versions of its Office apps for the iOS platform.

Once released, Apple will have achieved, through careful evolutionary steps, the optimal convergence of the laptop and tablet form factors. This was what Microsoft tried to achieve with their Surface product, but failed because they rushed the product to market before the hardware and software were fully baked.
  • Reply 20 of 95
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cws View Post

What is most compelling about the iPad Pro is that it is a laptop killer. For the 70 percent of people who use their laptops for routine tasks like email, web browsing and word processing, the iPad Pro, coupled with a stylus and bluetooth keyboard cover, will be the hands-down product of choice. This is especially true now that Microsoft has made truly excellent versions of its Office apps for the iOS platform.

Once released, Apple will have achieved, through careful evolutionary steps, the optimal convergence of the laptop and tablet form factors. This was what Microsoft tried to achieve with their Surface product, but failed because they rushed the product to market before the hardware and software were fully baked.

No I do not think that's the case at all. A Macbook is still the way to go if you need a laptop. If the work you do is mostly text input. This sounds like a great AV device. It looks useful for a lot of things, but not as a laptop killer,