'iPhone 6s' will move to Apple Watch's 7000-series aluminum, spectrometer analysis confirms

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
Composition testing of what is purportedly a shell for Apple's next-generation iPhone confirms previous reports that the new device will move to 7000-series aluminum, an alloy first introduced to Apple's lineup with the Watch.

The supposed iPhone 6s shell acquired by Unbox Therapy shows high concentrations of zinc, indicative of 7000-series aluminum. Generally speaking, adding zinc -- along with magnesium --?to create 7000-series aluminum results in an alloy that is much harder than the more popular 6000-series, and consequently more difficult to work with.

When the Watch was announced, Apple proudly pointed out that the 7000-series alloy used in the sport models was in fact a custom Apple composition, though it's still not clear exactly what they changed. It's possible that they could've made concessions to make the material easier to handle during manufacturing, for instance, though they claim substantial improvements in strength.

"For Apple Watch Sport, we started with 7000 Series aluminum -- the same used in competition bicycles," Apple says on its website. "We altered it to create a new alloy that's just as light, yet even more durable -- it's 60 percent stronger than most aluminum, and one-third the density of stainless steel."

While it's not clear whether the alloy used for the iPhone 6s will be exactly the same as the one used for the Watch, the move is likely to make the handsets much stronger. Many users have found that the smoothly-rounded corners of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are easy to dent, a charge long leveled at the also-aluminum MacBook lineup.

The YouTube video also shows a "bend test" that indicates the new iPhone shell will be significantly stiffer than its predecessor, though the rig used is not a standard material deformation gauge, making the actual results of the testing somewhat questionable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Credit card is in hand.
    Can't wait!
  • Reply 2 of 60
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I demand that Apple now issue a recall for all iPhone 6's, (all 100 million of them) since this is evidence that Apple has admitted to this serious design flaw.

/s
  • Reply 3 of 60
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Theraby? Please...

• Reply 4 of 60
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Right because Unbox Therapy is the expert in materials science. This guy is just looking for more YouTube hits. Just this morning on Twitter he was bragging about his "bendgate" video being the 4th most viewed on Twitter last year.
  • Reply 5 of 60

Why are you giving this POS any more publicity?

• Reply 6 of 60

I always thought increasing stiffness in the case was not a good way to make it more durable. Isn't it better to use a more elastic material that can flex and give when force is applied to it and then return to its original shape?

I'm not a materials scientists so I'm likely completely wrong about this.

• Reply 7 of 60
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RalphMouth View Post

I always thought stiffness in a case was bad. Isn't it better to use a more elastic material that can flex and give when force is applied to it and then return to its original shape?

Oh man, can you imagine a "stiffness-gate"?

I can see the headlines now, the new iPhone is TOO stiff!

:)

• Reply 8 of 60
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    when will the rubber iphone with a flexible OLED screen come out come out?!

bend it, drop it, dunk it, bounce it, and it's no problem!
  • Reply 9 of 60
    ralphmouth wrote: »
    I always thought increasing stiffness in the case was not a good way to make it more durable. Isn't it better to use a more elastic material that can flex and give when force is applied to it and then return to its original shape?

What I want to know is why are people applying force to their iPhones?
  • Reply 10 of 60
    ppietrappietra Posts: 288member
    Quote:

Metals in general deform and don’t return to original shape once you apply a certain force! Only a few metal alloys are able to return to the original shape, I think Apple’s LiquidMetal is one of them, but they have other problems, specially price. 

So if you want better metal resistance to bending/deforming, stiffening is the way to go. The only negative effect is to the screen under some circumstances, but there could be ways to mitigate them. In other circumstances it actually can better protect the screen, if the point of impact is the metal bezel, a stiffer metal won’t deform as easily and less pressure is applied to the screen on impact. 

• Reply 11 of 60
    mstone wrote: »
    Theraby? Please...

I wouldn't trust a YouTube channel like Unbox Theraby to rate anything.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

I always  thought the stiffer the better, especially with opposite sex!

• Reply 13 of 60
    rogifan wrote: »
    What I want to know is why are people applying force to their iPhones?

Do they have a YouTube channel in need of content?
  • Reply 14 of 60
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Then the internals crack and the screen adhesive fails and the screen pops off: which is what happens in tests to Galaxies: the plastic flexes and other stuff happens even tho the case flexes back when the pressure is removed. The screen shattering and popping off probably being the most dramatic.

• Reply 15 of 60
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I demand that Apple now issue a recall for all iPhone 6's, (all 100 million of them) since this is evidence that Apple has admitted to this serious design flaw.

/s

It's all part of the Apple master plan (planned obsolescence) to force all, to upgrade our inferiorly built iPhone 6's! They could have/should have done this last year, but they would not have had any selling points had they done so!

We should start a petition!

/s

Jokes aside though, I wouldn't be surprised if someone tried to sue, or something.

• Reply 16 of 60
    Why are you giving this POS any more publicity?

You might also like:

"iPhone 6s to move to Apple Watch's 7000-series aluminum, spectrometer analysis says" --AppleInsider

"See the shocking secrets doctors don't want you to know!" --acaiberryfacts

"Video: dog kills man with shotgun in Alabama" --CNN

"Woman learns how to get iPhones and iPads for just $9.99!" --DailyBargains
  • Reply 17 of 60
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

/s

The original bend-gate dude already has a new video on YouTube in which he purports to have an iPhone 6S case that is much stronger than the regular 6. Of course the whole video is him gloating about how he was right all along about bend-gate and how he was the first to report it and how he is God’s gift to YouTube. You know, the usual stuff.

• Reply 18 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Theraby? Please...

AI's "automated slave"* must have a cold...

*Anyone else do a double-take at that phrase? Maybe I am getting too PC in my old age...

• Reply 19 of 60
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Fuc unbox therapy

Watch his video. It sets a new standard. You may not like his (bragging) character, but boy, has he done his homework this time.

Spoiler Alert:

It turns out the iPhone 6S is going to be a very good deal.

• Reply 20 of 60
    mr o wrote: »

Watch his video. It sets a new standard. You may not like his (bragging) character, but boy, has he done his homework this time.

Spoiler Alert:

It turns out the iPhone 6S is going to be a very good deal.

Nope.. Not giving him any clicks. That's all he's looking for.