Intel's Skylake chips can power three 4K monitors simultaneously, launch details in 'couple of weeks

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2015
A launch date for Intel's next-generation Skylake processors should be announced in a "couple of weeks," a senior principal engineer recently revealed at an Intel Developer Forum presentation.

The company in the meantime shared a variety of details about the platform, according to PCWorld. Skylake processors will, for instance, use a technology called Speed Shift to dynamically change power state and reduce consumption.

Planned performance boosts are already well-known, but one improvement will come in the form of "eDRAM+," a fully coherent form of cache memory that can work for the CPU and not just integrated graphics. eDRAM+ will also be used in more chips than eDRAM, and in 64- and 128-megabyte sizes.

A new extension technology, SGX -- Software Guard eXtensions -- should limit the potential damage of privileged malware attacks.

Graphically, Intel claimed that Skylake's graphics technology will be powerful enough to drive three 4K monitors at 60 hertz, versus a single 4K monitor with Broadwell chips.

Skylake processors are expected to drive the next generation of Apple Macs, from the MacBook Air through to the iMac. Most updates will probably have to wait until next year however, since Skylake is only debuting later this year and most Macs have already seen a 2015 refresh

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Apple only did a CPU refresh.. That has nothing to do with Laptop updates (form-factor changes, etc).

Apple has done CPU refresh's at beginning of the year and then full Macbook (GPU/Form factor changes, screen, etc) updates at end of the year multiple times now.

So, the fact that Apple 'updated' CPU only really means nothing..
  • Reply 2 of 24
    Huh, I just did a skylake build with an i5-6600K last weekend (parts from Frys), surely it's a bit late for launch details?
  • Reply 3 of 24
    Is this a launch date for Skylake mobile processors? Otherwise Skylake already came out weeks ago.
  • Reply 4 of 24
    Badly written article, this news is for Skylake core processors not Skylake desktop which already released, yet there is no mention of core in the entire article.
  • Reply 5 of 24
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Money already in-hand for an updated Skylake 5K iMac.  Just bring it.

• Reply 6 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Huh, I just did a skylake build with an i5-6600K last weekend (parts from Frys), surely it's a bit late for launch details?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ontheinside View Post

Is this a launch date for Skylake mobile processors? Otherwise Skylake already came out weeks ago.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Badly written article, this news is for Skylake core processors not Skylake desktop which already released, yet there is no mention of core in the entire article.

Two Skylake chips came out in a soft launch. The rest of the lineup isn't out yet.

What this doesn't make clear is if the iGPU driving three 4k displays is IRISPro only, or if even the base graphics can do that.

• Reply 7 of 24
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Two Skylake chips came out in a soft launch. The rest of the lineup isn't out yet.

What this doesn't make clear is if the iGPU driving three 4k displays is IRISPro only, or if even the base graphics can do that.

So, how is IRISPro accepted by gamers?

There are lots of workstation applications that would do fine with Skylake's IRISPro, as would most consumer Applications. Should Nvidia and AMD be concerned?

• Reply 8 of 24

Probably iris pro, can't imagine the basic gaining that power.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    My iMac 5K i7 295X is also driving a Dell 4K 2715Q. A pleasure on the eyes!
  • Reply 10 of 24
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    tmay wrote: »

There are lots of workstation applications that would do fine with Skylake's IRISPro, as would most consumer Applications. Should Nvidia and AMD be concerned?

Supposedly it's "10x" faster than Sandy Bridge.
    Sandy Bridge's iGPU's Passmark is around... 310. So 10x = Radeon R7 260X or GeForce GTX 560. This puts it into "99$" dedicated video card territory.

So if this makes all the GPU vendors quit putting out garbage GPU's, that's a good thing. However Intel will never shed the "useless iGPU" image. Most iGPU parts that go into desktops are unused as GPU's and are only used for Quicksync. It's allowed plenty of cheap USB "game capture" cards to proliferate and mostly Youtube and and TwitchTV gain from not having to compress the video a second time.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    adrayven wrote: »
    Apple only did a CPU refresh.. That has nothing to do with Laptop updates (form-factor changes, etc).

Apple has done CPU refresh's at beginning of the year and then full Macbook (GPU/Form factor changes, screen, etc) updates at end of the year multiple times now.

So, the fact that Apple 'updated' CPU only really means nothing..
    Also, the 13 inch MBP and the MBAs were refreshed in March. They currently have an average refresh cycle around 210 days, which would put them on schedule for another refresh (or total redesign) in October.

Fingers crossed for USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 in a shiny new housing. Or, at the very least, USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 in the old housing, but with even better battery.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member

Thunderbolt 3 uses USB-C port. Yes, that's right, you can use Thunderbolt and USB protocols in the SAME port. 

The USB-C type port will be the port for EVERYTHING, even MHL 3.0, DisplayPort 1.3, and Thunderbolt thanks to its alternate mode. 

• Reply 13 of 24
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I am guessing, ( or hoping ) the reason for Intel's delay is due to software / compiler support. My guess is that to take advantage of every performance Skylake has to offer you must recompile you App.
  • Reply 14 of 24
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    tmay wrote: »
    It depends upon how you define gamer, but hardcore gamers simply don't care even discreet GPUs can't keep up with their needs.
    There are lots of workstation applications that would do fine with Skylake's IRISPro, as would most consumer Applications.
    Even Broadwell does fairly well.
    Should Nvidia and AMD be concerned?

Yes they should be. The big problem is that demand for low end chips is evaporating this means that theRe is far less product to distribute development costs across. Expect GPU cards to become far more expensive in the near future. AMD has already been hit hard by this reality. Their APU chips simply can't keep up with Intel even when they leverage their abilities with GPUs. AMD literally needs to pull a rabbit out of the hat for their next APU.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    ksec wrote: »
    I am guessing, ( or hoping ) the reason for Intel's delay is due to software / compiler support. My guess is that to take advantage of every performance Skylake has to offer you must recompile you App.
    That has never stopped them before.
  • Reply 16 of 24

This is good..

So I guess later this year intel NUC with skylake will have HDMI 2.0, DP 1.4 will support at least 2 4K monitors..

DP will daisy chain another 4K monitor at 60hz(?).

I don't think iGPU can't be hardcore gamer. But it will be great for stock trader who don't need external GPU to support more than 2 4K monitors.

NUC will be cheap and great for that. I hope Mac mini update the skylake this year as well(HDMI 2.0).

• Reply 17 of 24
    karas11 wrote: »
    This is good..
    So I guess later this year intel NUC with skylake will have HDMI 2.0, DP 1.4 will support at least 2 4K monitors..
    DP will daisy chain another 4K monitor at 60hz(?).
    It isn't impossible but I'm not sure Intel will put high end chips in the Nuc.
    I don't think iGPU can't be hardcore gamer. But it will be great for stock trader who don't need external GPU to support more than 2 4K monitors.
    NUC will be cheap and great for that. I hope Mac mini update the skylake this year as well(HDMI 2.0).

People has suggested I'm nuts for advising people to hold off for SkyLake but the reality is these GPU improvements are very significant. It means that something like a Nuc or Mini will be viable for many years. Well that is if these machines get the better SkyLake chips.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    wizard69 wrote: »
    It isn't impossible but I'm not sure Intel will put high end chips in the Nuc.
    People has suggested I'm nuts for advising people to hold off for SkyLake but the reality is these GPU improvements are very significant. It means that something like a Nuc or Mini will be viable for many years. Well that is if these machines get the better SkyLake chips.

Yeah the NUC is getting a decent chip but nothing that could be considered "high-end."
  • Reply 19 of 24
    winter wrote: »
    Yeah the NUC is getting a decent chip but nothing that could be considered "high-end."

I like the idea of the Mini or Nucs, that is very compact PC's that don't waste much space. The biggest problem with them, at least in the past, has been the lackluster GPU performance. The GPUs have been so bad in some models that they effectively couldn't stand in as a HTPC. As the iGPUs have improved this has become less and less of a problem and these new SkyLake Chips pretty much eliminate the GPU as an issue for many uses.

So I would expect to see more and more of these sorts of compact PCs in the future. I really don't think we are far from machines that are composed of a heat sink that mounts on the back of a monitor. A PC that literally sits between the VESA flange and the video monitor. If I looked around hard enough I probably could find something like that today though the performance might be wanting. Decent performance in such a brick should be available with the next process shrink.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    I'm slowly growing open to the idea of an iMac after much discussion with a friend about getting a "real" computer. The Mac mini is good but the iMac certainly has more horsepower including discrete graphics and our constant back and forth has sort of opened my mind.