Apple Watch Sport owners report unexpected rear logo damage, other text scratching off

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited August 2015
Some Apple Watch owners are experiencing problems with the Apple logo disappearing off the back of their devices, and/or scratching around the surrounding text, according to complaints posted online.

Via Apple Support Communites user dougie70w
Via Apple Support Communites user dougie70w

Issues have been ongoing for at least a few months, various posts on Reddit show. In most examples, only the logo has been affected. A Wednesday post on Apple's support forums, though, suggested similar trouble with the rest of the text as well.

One person who spoke with Apple support, contacted by AppleInsider, said they were given a call back by someone at the company, and promised a free replacement Watch so that engineers could study the problem. The Apple representative asked about local climate, activity levels, and whether the device was immersed in water, but suggested that other people have reported the problem, and only with the space gray Sport.

Many if not all of the damaged units appear to be space gray Sport models, implying that the problem is with the way text is printed on those devices. Stainless steel Watches have their text engraved instead of printed.

Via Reddit user eternitydia
Via Reddit user eternitydia

Apple marketing has placed a strong emphasis on the luxury and craftsmanship of the Watch, which has led to more attention to potential defects. The Sport is Apple's cheapest model, but still starts at $349 and uses things like tougher 7000-Series aluminum and reinforced "Ion-X" glass.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 94
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

It's not made of diamond, folks. Expect some form of wear with use, otherwise keep it in it's original packaging.

• Reply 2 of 94
    Agree, not really a defect. Here comes wear-gate.
  • Reply 3 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

Agree, not really a defect. Here comes wear-gate.

Apple should refuse to sell any of their products to obtuse customers.

• Reply 4 of 94
    Various? The link appears to show two cases.

OMG quick. Bring the paper bag. I'm hyperventilating. Logogate is about to come upon us...!

Seriously: stuff like this can happen. It shouldn't. But occasionally does. If people had an idea about eg the maturity of a newly developed car then in comparison this is .... a non issue. In particular since apple is going to replace the affected units as it seems.
  • Reply 5 of 94

So I'm looking at the second picture, and I can see and read all of the text because it is still there, so what is the issue?

• Reply 6 of 94
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    What are they doing with their watches?

I use mine at Bikram yoga..( sweat galore )
    I use it when i go windsurfing (salt water, waves, and sand)
    Have it on all day... Take showres with it and all.
    Have had it since day one and it has been subject to the above since day one ...and it still looks like day one..!
  • Reply 7 of 94
    yojimbo007 wrote: »
    What are they doing with their watches?

I use mine at Bikram yoga..( sweat galore )
    I use it when i go windsurfing (salt water, waves, and sand)
    Have it on all day... Take showres with it and all.
    Have had it since day one and it has been subject to the above since day one ...and it still looks like day one..!

You're not worried about the long term effect of salt water? You know that this is quite corrosive?
  • Reply 8 of 94
    creek0512 wrote: »
    So I'm looking at the second picture, and I can see and read all of the text because it is still there, so what is the issue?

The ? logo is scratched off. The same thing started happening to my ? Watxh about 3 weeks ago. I don't do anything with it but wear it like any normal person and wear it during my P90X exercises but nothing more extreme than any other user. Never brought the issue up to Apple because I figured they wouldn't do anything and claim it's a normal wear and tear issue. Glad to hear people are getting their issue(s) resolved.
  • Reply 9 of 94
    I have the space gray sport, mine has the same problem. It's the space gray final layer/coat that is detaching from the watch's casing only in the areas where text is stamped/applied. I would bet money that the process of applying the text is done in a way that it also weakens the bond between the watch case and the space gray anodized layer.
  • Reply 10 of 94
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    You're not worried about the long term effect of salt water? You know that this is quite corrosive?

Ofcourse.. Been in ocean sports for most my life...

We will see how it holds up... I love the exercise information i get from it . ...

So far it is handeling it like a champ... And it gets washed when i take a shower so saltwater does not stay on it for too long ..... Maybe 5 hours max per session ..

Upgrading to new model is going to be inevidable anyway ;)
  • Reply 11 of 94
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Ofcourse.. Been in ocean sports for most my life...

We will see how it holds up... I love the exercise information i get from it . ...

So far it is handeling it like a champ... And it gets washed when i take a shower so saltwater does not stay on it for too long ..... Maybe 5 hours max per session ..

Upgrading to new model is going to be inevidable anyway image

Alumunum has pretty good corrosion resistance and the Series 7000 probably more so, plus if it is space grey, it has anodizing, not sure about the silver colored one, but in any case, it is probably not raw aluminum.  You should be fine. I have the SS and no issues with the logo or text.

• Reply 12 of 94
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Lol. That happened to my watch the second or third day of wearing it. I went to put it on and logo was completely gone. I looked at and wonder how in the hell did that happened? I still wonder! It bother me form a minute, but I don't really see the back of my watch, so whatever! I thought my sweat was too toxic for the paint of the watch and expected more to peel off but hasn't happen, so I guess the apple just wasn't adhered very well to the aluminum. Oh well shit happens! The rest of my watch is awesome, so I am ok with out the Apple logo. I do miss the logo. :(

Edit: some corrections
  • Reply 13 of 94

It's not wear, Apple or their supplier messed up the marking process.

In order to do dark letters on a light surface, they have to apply a laser marking compound. When the compound is exposed to the laser, it turns black and bonds to the anodization layer, the rest of the compound is cleaned off. Something is happening to cause the anodization to come off in the marked areas. I think it's either heat during the marking process or there's a chemical reaction that's happening.

• Reply 14 of 94
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,945member
    My standard aluminum Sport is fine, "logo intacta." Been wearing it full time since release day. Sounds like some kind of chemical interaction between the paint and the anodization.
  • Reply 15 of 94
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Wait, people bought an Apple watch? /s

Looks only cosmetic but Apple should find a root cause.
  • Reply 16 of 94
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,834moderator
    Yeah, my silver aluminum sport watch, which I got on April 24th and have worn all day every day since, is perfect. So likely only the space gray model.
  • Reply 17 of 94

Well, you know what that means... Apple is doomed! The text on the Apple watch is coming off! It's stock will plummet into a pile of billowing flames! Die! Die! Die! 

:smokey:

• Reply 18 of 94
    Since they've only sold a few, it does not matter too much.

/s
  • Reply 19 of 94
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    I've been wearing it everyday for 11 weeks and one with no apparent issues on the casing 42mm Space Gray Watch Sport.

Now, one side of the black Sport band does appear to have some wear on it which I'd say is a thin coating wearing off, although I'm not sure what's going on with the aluminium rivet. Another thin layer with moisture causing it to come up?
  • Reply 20 of 94
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Since they've only sold a few, it does not matter too much.

/s

Great point.  :p