Apple outs iOS 9 Maps transit data sources, new business listing aggregators

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
In a change to its Apple Maps Acknowledgements webpage, Apple revealed an initial list of data providers used to populate the upcoming transit mapping feature in Maps for iOS 9, as well as two new aggregators of business listings.

While Apple's Maps attribution page shows a revision date of Jun. 4, 2015, Apple Maps Marketing believes the transit sources are indeed new.

Apple announced earlier this year that transit directions will initially be available in Baltimore, Berlin, Chicago, London, Mexico City, New York City, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Toronto, and Washington D.C., as well as 30 cities in China. The newly published list of providers gives a closer look at what to expect from transit assets in Canada, Germany, the U.S. and UK, including major cities like Berlin, London, New York, San Francisco and Toronto.

Apple Maps transit data providers: As for business listings, Apple added data gathered by Position Technologies and DAC Group.

Apple is expected to release iOS 9 alongside new iPhone models at a special event in September. Aside from mapping enhancements, the next-gen operating system features a revamped Notification Center and app switcher, low battery mode, dedicated iCloud Drive app, Wi-Fi calling for AT&T, numerous user interface tweaks and much more.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11

Can we have the ability to 'avoid highways' like Navigon and many other GPS apps for the iPhone?

Seriously. If you give me this ability, I can delete multi-gigabyte Navigon forever.

• Reply 2 of 11
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Can we have the ability to 'avoid highways' like Navigon and many other GPS apps for the iPhone?

Seriously. If you give me this ability, I can delete multi-gigabyte Navigon forever.

Yes, please. It's literally the only reason I ever occasionally launch Navigon anymore, since I no longer seem to drive away from cell coverage. (More often, I still don't use Navigon, I just refuse to get on the high way and let Siri throw a tantrum for 10 minutes before accepting that I'm going my own way...)

This is an advantage of Google Maps that I forget about. If I didn't have Navigon, I'd occasionally use Google for this reason. (Currently, I use it for transit only, and even then I do my search in Apple Maps and let Apple hand the results off to Google Maps.)

• Reply 3 of 11
    I thought it was announced that it was 300 cities in China.
  • Reply 4 of 11

I would love this functionality, but I'd like it taken to the next level.  I want a mapping app that avoids freeways, highways, and major city streets.  When it comes to horrible traffic, a gps is still going to default to major streets.  I'd love to have an app that avoids all of that and uses little-used side streets and back roads.  You may have to go a little out of your way, but you won't be stuck in traffic.  As of right now, I'm not aware of a single company that does this.  You can even call the App "Tertiary".

• Reply 5 of 11
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    When transit directions comes out, I can finally get rid of Google Maps.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

I'd love to have an app that avoids all of that and uses little-used side streets and back roads.  You may have to go a little out of your way, but you won't be stuck in traffic.  As of right now, I'm not aware of a single company that does this.  

There is one but it is a bit pricey. It's called BMW.  ;)

• Reply 7 of 11
    I want the ability to avoid Tolls via Apple Maps -- always have to switch to Google Maps for this functionality. :(
  • Reply 8 of 11
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    I recently took a road trip from South Florida up to PA and back and used Apple Maps all the way. Most of the time I was on the interstates, but took some smaller roads too. All I have to say is that the accuracy of the heavy traffic symbols was almost creepy. :D
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

I recently took a road trip from South Florida up to PA and back and used Apple Maps all the way. Most of the time I was on the interstates, but took some smaller roads too. All I have to say is that the accuracy of the heavy traffic symbols was almost creepy. image

The way Waze notifies you and graphically displays congestion with its zoom in and zoom out is far superior to Apple Maps, IMHO.

• Reply 10 of 11
    prolineproline Posts: 222member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

I would love this functionality, but I'd like it taken to the next level.  I want a mapping app that avoids freeways, highways, and major city streets.  When it comes to horrible traffic, a gps is still going to default to major streets.  I'd love to have an app that avoids all of that and uses little-used side streets and back roads.  You may have to go a little out of your way, but you won't be stuck in traffic.  As of right now, I'm not aware of a single company that does this.  You can even call the App "Tertiary".

There's no need for this, at least for cars directions. Apple Maps already shows the fastest route, factoring in traffic. If that means taking back roads, that's what Apple Maps will give you. The number of people who want their trip to take longer to avoid highways isn't bit enough for Apple to bother with. Remember that Apple is a company that targets the needs of the 90%, not the other 10% who have bizarre personal fetishes.

• Reply 11 of 11
    Originally Posted by libertyforall View Post

I want the ability to avoid Tolls via Apple Maps -- always have to switch to Google Maps for this functionality. image

If you can afford an Apple device, you can afford the tolls :-).

I like the fact that the Toyota (really Nippon Denso) navigation system in my car lets me set it to avoid highways, avoid tolls, etc. I often use its "Short" route to let me discover new neighborhoods. But the fact is that if I need to be somewhere as quickly as possible, I use Waze.