Future Chrome for Mac update may solve problems with memory, performance

Posted:
in Mac Software edited August 2015
A test build of Google's forthcoming Chrome 46 makes substantial improvements to the performance of the Web browser on the Mac, according to one early glimpse at the software.

The build appears to halve Chrome's memory consumption, and make formely slow tabs much faster, The Next Web commented on Thursday. At the same time, the browser also appears to consume fewer CPU and power resources.

The changes are the result of a variety of under-the-hood improvements, including closed memory leaks, better Javascript performance, and Mac graphics enhancements. Google has also been working on porting a Chrome OS feature called tab discarding, which can force a tab to "sleep" if memory is running out.

The latest stable version of Chrome is actually Chrome 44, but 46 is already available through Google's Chrome Canary program. New Canary builds are released daily -- and sport the absolute latest Chrome features -- but are so early into development that they can be prone to crashes and other bugs.

Mac owners have regularly complained that their version of Chrome is inferior to the Windows and Chrome OS editions, often consuming gigabytes of memory and chewing up notebook batteries.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    "Google has also been working on porting a Chrome OS feature called tab discarding, which can force a tab to "sleep" if memory is running out."

The single biggest annoyance with Safari, now ported to Chrome. [I]SMH[/I]
  • Reply 2 of 13
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    I didn't realize this was a widespread phenomenon.

I switched to safari recently after years of Chrome due to the unreasonably high memory and CPU consumption.

I do see a nice improvement in speed, battery life, and memory usage.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

I find Safari much more problematic than Chrome. Safari freezes at times and looses the pointer cursor. I keep both browsers open all day long. I mostly use Safari for my personal email and Chrome for everything related to business.

The memory usage is about the same for me. The CPU is pretty minimal on both. Honestly, I haven't noticed any issues with Chrome and Safari seems a bit slower. YMMV

• Reply 4 of 13
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Will this also help resolve the power consumption disparity between Chrome and Safari on the Mac?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Sweet. Hopefully Chrome version 7813 won't be a piece of garbage on Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Is pronounced "Crummy" in some countries.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Not finding Chrome on my system. Hoping this means Chrome auto-update will not put it there.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    kantxkantx Posts: 22member

Faster indeed and several buggy websites with previous 44 are not anymore.

• Reply 9 of 13
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    schlack wrote: »
    I didn't realize this was a widespread phenomenon.

I switched to safari recently after years of Chrome due to the unreasonably high memory and CPU consumption.

I do see a nice improvement in speed, battery life, and memory usage.

I moved from FF back to Safari and found the same thing. Also the syncing of history and bookmarks across my iPhone and Mac is great as well.

If I had to go back to FF or Chrome as my main driver I would really miss the sync.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Chrome 46.

FORTY SIX!

That's a major upgrade every 6 weeks. I don't think so. Chrome 4S maybe.
  • Reply 11 of 13

I use Chrome on the PC and it's little better there. Opening a single tab causes all sorts of background tasks to spawn, all called "Chrome" in Task Manager, all of them eating up 50 to 200 MB.

Right now I have two Chrome windows running, and there seven entries in Task Manager, with a total of 450 meg.

Closing these two windows will remove only two of those tasks, leaving the other five running until I reboot. Opening new tabs or windows will spawn more of these phantom tasks, until it takes over my Task Manager.

By any measure, Chrome is a leaky dog. It's just that IE is a slow leaky dog, so people almost always use Chrome for that reason.

• Reply 12 of 13
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    I hope this works.

I use Chrome only to watch videos that require Flash, and it consistently heats up my MacBook Air like a hot skillet. It's the only time that the cooling fans kick in.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Chrome is banned from all of my devices. I don't care about Adobe's junk software Flash so there is no need for a browser that hogs my CPU cycles and takes over much of my available DRAM and then demolishes my bandwidth sending as much of my data as it can to the mothership.

Won't be going back to Chrome ever. Don't need it and especially, don't want it.