MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch 2012 with 4K monitor: WIll it work?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited August 2015

I wasn't sure whether to post this under Apple Hardware or Third Party Products since technically, my question is about interoperability between both.

I'm presently contemplating buying a 4K monitor to hook up to my MacBook Pro Retina.

According to this site, Apple doesn't officially recommend a 2012 MacBook Pro be used with a 4K monitor.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT202856

However, I'm wondering if it will work *unofficially*, as I'm getting conflicting results from my Google searches.

Here are my system specs, namely, for a 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro with a dedicate NVIDIA graphics card.

Two 4K monitors I'm looking at are the Dell models UP2414Q and P2715Q, with only the former present on the support.apple.com link above.

Since this is Dell, there won't be a chance for me to try out the setup in a physical store before ordering.

My primary need is to see crisper text on the monitor, especially when reading and coding.  My secondary desire is to get better resolution out of images and pictures.   An added bonus will be the fact that these monitors are USB hubs.

So what do you think?   Will this setup work?  Are there any caveats I should be aware of?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

It will probably not work at 60Hz. I have read about people getting 4K @ 30Hz on these machines.