No Recovery Partition on my Fusion HD so I cannot disable SIP

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited August 2015

I was attempting to disable System Integrity Protection on an El Capitan public beta 5 installation on the second partition on my 3T Fusion Drive and found that there was no Recovery Partition on the partition. The Recovery Partition that was available was the Internet online/download from Apple version and did not have the Security Configuration option. The EC install on the partition came from cloning an install from an external drive. EC copied over well but no Recovery Partition so I cannot disable SIP.

Complicating matters is you can only have 2 partitions on a Fusion Drive (why I don't know). Therefore I do not even know if a Recovery Partition can be created or copied over. Curios though, Techtool Pro 8 did create their version of an emergency partition with no effects on the Fusion Drive.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know how to create a Recovery Partition without blowing everything away and starting a fresh install? I have a glacially slow Internet connection (averages 1-2 MB/sec) and it literally would take a day or two to download and install all 4 beta updates. Personal gripe: why can I not download the beta 5 installer so I can install on multiple machines without repeating the downloads?

or

2. Does anyone know how to copy the Recovery Partition onto the Fusion Drive?

or

3. Is there another way, perhaps using Terminal commands, to disable SIP?

Thanks ahead of time,

Jim

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    You can turn a USB stick into an install/recovery drive that works the way the old install DVDs used to. Just insert an empty USB stick in your drive, and then run these commands in the Terminal:

cd (replace this with the path to your El Cap installer)

sudo ./Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume (replace this with the path to your USB drive) --applicationpath (put the path to your El Cap installer here again)

Easiest way to get the path to something is to drag it onto the Terminal window, and it'll get automatically added. So drag the El Cap onto the Terminal Window for the first command, and then do the same for the USB drive's desktop icon (and the El Cap installer again) in the second one.

Keep in mind that this will erase everything on your USB stick, so make sure it's either empty or that it only has stuff you don't want on it.

Once this is done, you can boot from the USB stick and it should function as a recovery partition.