Apple's Tim Cook to talk enterprise at BoxWorks cloud storage conference on Sept. 29

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2015
Apple CEO Tim Cook will appear on stage for a "fireside" conversation during next month's BoxWorks conference, Box CEO Aaron Levie announced on Monday.

The conversation is scheduled for the second day of the conference, Sept. 29, at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, Levie revealed. The venue is a frequent home for Apple's own events.

Levie noted that the topic will be Apple's current role in the enterprise world and its future plans. Box primarily offers large-scale cloud services for businesses, governments, and non-profits, although it does have personal storage options.

Apple has typically made the enterprise sector a secondary concern, preferring to concentrate on consumer sales. The popularity of iPhones and iPads in the corporate world has pushed it further in that direction though, to the extent that the company is joined with IBM in developing mobile apps. Recent declines in overall iPad sales have reportedly led to an enterprise partnership program.

It's unclear why Cook would specifically appear at BoxWorks. His talk will likely come just weeks after the launch of iOS 9 and new iPhones, so he could conceivably use the event as a platform to promote how friendly the products are for large organizations.

BoxWorks tickets presently cost $899, and will be $1,099 at the door. The event will run for three days starting on Sept. 28.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    "Yeah, we're hiring." is what he needs to say.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    Is it me, or is Tim Cook suddenly everywhere? Steve made so few appearances, that when he did show up it was big news, and the rest of the time his reclusivity contributed to Apple's mystique. Not sure this change is a net loss or gain for Apple.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Possibly as a follow-on appearance to announcing iPad Pro earlier in the month?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Is it me, or is Tim Cook suddenly everywhere? Steve made so few appearances, that when he did show up it was big news, and the rest of the time his reclusivity contributed to Apple's mystique. Not sure this change is a net loss or gain for Apple.

Two different people.

• Reply 5 of 9
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Tim is not Steve- News at 11. I think it's asinine that 5 years after Steve's death, people like you are still comparing their behavior as if Tim is attempting to be a clone. It's also amazing that people think that Apple can and should be run in the exact same way and structure that it was, before Steve's death, and that it would succeed. 

• Reply 6 of 9
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,960member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Tim is not Steve- News at 11. I think it's asinine that 5 years after Steve's death, people like you are still comparing their behavior as if Tim is attempting to be a clone. 

I think it's a fair question to ask whether one aspect of a leader's style is advantageous or disadvantageous to a company. Asking it certainly doesn't warrant insulting responses.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    jonljonl Posts: 210member

Has Tim done this sort of thing before? If so, what were the other companies? What's so special about Box?

• Reply 8 of 9
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Tim needs to hire a SVP for cloud services. He needs someone with experience in cloud services focusing 100% on that. Eddy Cue is not that person.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Quote:

I had the same thought.

On the one hand, I think it's good that Tim is making appearances in places that are strategic partners for Apple. But on the other hand, it feels to me like he's in the news too much and risking over-exposure. The latter point being not necessarily under his control, because even if he isn't trying to make a PR appearance, the media will make it into one.

Also, if it were Steve making so many appearances, I'd worry that he's not working enough on visionary-type stuff. But because Tim's more of an operations CEO, I'm not sure what to think.