Philips adds new wireless dimmer to Hue lighting range

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2015
Fans of Philips's popular Hue programmable LED lights now have a more tactile way to control the bulbs' brightness with the announcement of the new Hue wireless dimming kit.

The Hue wireless dimming kit ships with a standard Hue white light bulb and the dimmer itself, which is battery powered. The dimmer sports four buttons --?on, off, brighter, an darker.

An included wall plate can be used to make the dimmer act as a wall switch, though it can also be removed and used as a standalone remote control. A single dimmer can control up to 10 white Hue lights, though it can't be used with other Hue products.

The dimmer also does not appear to be compatible with Apple's HomeKit, though Philips has pledged to update its range with HomeKit compatibility this month.

"The Philips Hue wireless dimming kit is the lightbulb moment that will spark the natural progression into the modern, connected home," Hue marketing chief Leonardo Avezzano is quoted as saying, somewhat hyperbolically, in a release. "Not only does the kit show how simple it is to have clever products in your home, but like all Philips Hue products it is entirely future-proof. With the kit, anyone is able to begin enjoying the simplicity of modern dimming."

Philips's Hue wireless dimming kit will go on sale later this month for $39.95.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Looks like this one is a work in progress... See review here http://fortune.com/2015/08/25/philips-hue-dimmer/
  • Reply 2 of 11

One button to rule them all!

Why four when some software intelligence would make one suffice.

• Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Burns Effect View Post

The computer knows when you want the lights on or off? Or are you talking about voice command, which people will really like as they walk through the house, waking everybody up?

That's the problem with these smart lights so far. 90% of the time you just want the lights on or off, not some mood. Yet the most basic switch was $60. Old way = instinctive 1/4 second flick. New way = pull out your phone, unlock it, go to app...

• Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

The computer knows when you want the lights on or off? Or are you talking about voice command, which people will really like as they walk through the house, waking everybody up?

That's the problem with these smart lights so far. 90% of the time you just want the lights on or off, not some mood. Yet the most basic switch was $60. Old way = instinctive 1/4 second flick. New way = pull out your phone, unlock it, go to app...

I meant different patterns of taps and holds would make a one button design a bit harder to use initially but much nicer estetically.

• Reply 5 of 11
    konqerror - you do understand they still function as normal lights, right? You can still use light switches to turn them on, and they will all be a normal warm white light. You can then change them if you want. You sound like a cranky old man who doesn't like new things; they thought of you, and you can still use the light switch if you really want to. With a notification center widget though, you don't even need to unlock, just wake, swipe and tap. The geofencing features alone make your point moot, for me anyway.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

Does anybody know how this new dimmer is built into the API?  I'm not seeing functions for it, though I've only glanced through a bit.

The API is why I love the Hue system.  I control my Hue setup using Applescript on my Mac and with an Apple Remote.  The Hue Tap is nice, but having my favorite scenes at the touch of a button on my remote is awesome.  I have one of those old white Apple remotes, and it's perfect for using with Hue.  I've been using Hue since spring of 2013.  It's made such a huge difference in my home.  Having my lights on a remote control makes for one heck of a sweet setup, and I love the geofence option in the iOS app too.

• Reply 7 of 11
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    One button to rule them all!

a rocker would definitely make more sense than trying to find the proper button.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    konqerror wrote: »

incorrect. you're obviously somebody who has never used these products but feels compelled and qualified to comment on them.

my Hue household uses my normal wall switches, which turn them on/off in an instinctive instant. my phone, tablet, or watch can optionally be used to set lighting recipes. but most of the time my preprogrammed recipes do the trick (coming on at various times, varying levels, and turning off).

it really isn't as difficult as you like to believe.
  • Reply 9 of 11

I meant different patterns of taps and holds would make a one button design a bit harder to use initially but much nicer estetically.

yep. I have one wall switch from Lowe's that does just that -- single press turns on to last use dimmer level, or turns off if already on, while double press goes full-on. a slim rocker next to the single button handles dim up/down. smart.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    2oh1 wrote: »
    Does anybody know how this new dimmer is built into the API?  I'm not seeing functions for it, though I've only glanced through a bit.

The API is why I love the Hue system.  I control my Hue setup using Applescript on my Mac and with an Apple Remote.  The Hue Tap is nice, but having my favorite scenes at the touch of a button on my remote is awesome.  I have one of those old white Apple remotes, and it's perfect for using with Hue.  I've been using Hue since spring of 2013.  It's made such a huge difference in my home.  Having my lights on a remote control makes for one heck of a sweet setup, and I love the geofence option in the iOS app too.

cool. can you explain more? I'm a software dev, but I haven't looked into programming my hue lights. how did you get them controlled by your remote?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

cool. can you explain more? I'm a software dev, but I haven't looked into programming my hue lights. how did you get them controlled by your remote?

To be honest, it was pretty easy though many steps are required to set it up.  Once it was set up, it became a Set It And Forget It kind of thing.  Or, to paraphrase Steve Jobs: It just works.  Here's a detailed tutorial I wrote a while ago.

You sign up for an account on the Philips Hue AP site.  It's free.  Using a web browser, you create a username on the Hue bridge.  Each of your Hue lights has a url of its own (they're the same except for a /#/ which will be a 1, 2, 3, etc).  With Applescript, you send commands to the urls to set brightness, color, saturation, etc for each light or group of lights.  Save each Applescript as a unique scene for your lights, or to control one specific light.  Then, using BetterTouchTool (free and AWESOME!) you set up your keyboard, trackpad or Apple Remote to run the Applescripts.  And if you want to go a step further, you can do what I did: buy a Flirc usb IR receiver that translates remote control IR codes into keyboard hotkeys.  It's cheap and it's fantastic.  Your Mac thinks Flirc is a keyboard, and it makes it simple to control a Mac with a universal remote.

I'm not saying this is the only way to accomplish what I did, and I should note that I don't work for Philips, BTT or Flirc.  I just happen to be a huge fan of all three.