Mail and Notification Questions

Posted:
in macOS edited August 2015

Hi. I have a few questions about Mail. I am running Yosemite. I also have my Mail notification settings set to display Banners when I'm notified of a new email.

Anyway, this is what happened today:

Today, I was away from my Mac and when I returned to my desk, I saw a Mail notification banner in the upper-right of corner my screen. It didn't leave on its own, so I clicked on it and I saw a little animation (smoke or cloud) as it disappeared.

I thought the notification was unusual because normally, when I get an email notification, the banner appears and then quickly disappears; I normally don't need to click on it to make it leave.

The notification said I'd received an email from someone named Don, whom I'd emailed a week or so ago. However, I couldn't find any email from him in my Inbox. So I did a search within Mail and no email from him showed up that way either.

Also, when I displayed the Notification Center on my Mac, I didn't see the email from Don listed among Mail's recent notifications.

So I was totally confused why the email from Don wasn't showing up anywhere after I saw the initial notification.

I use Mail with a Gmail account, so I logged into my Gmail account using Safari. In my Inbox, was the email from Don.

So I'm confused: why didn't Don's email show up in Mail and why didn't it show up in Notification Center? Are there different types of Mail notifications? Like I said, normally the notifications appear and then disappear on their own. But the notification I got today required a click.

I can't think of another instance when an email that wasn't junk didn't appear in Mail but did appear when I accessed Gmail via a web browser.

Please let me know if you have any idea of what caused the situation.

Thanks!