University of Oklahoma adopts Apple Pay at all campus terminals

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Starting this week the University of Oklahoma will be offering Apple Pay campus-wide, making it the first such university in the country to do so, the school announced on Monday.

This includes some 400 point of sale locations, according to an official blog post. Among these are restaurants, the OU Bookstore, and the One University Store, which both sells and showcases technology from corporate partners.

One of the biggest One University partners is Apple. The location is an Apple Authorized Campus Store, and moreover promotes educational content from iBooks and iTunes U.

Many more schools should follow in the University of Oklahoma's footsteps. During Apple's third-quarter results call, CEO Tim Cook said that over 700 colleges and universities would start accepting Apple Pay, including Auburn University, which Cook himself attended.

An image supplied in the blog post shows iOS 8's Passbook app with an OU-branded Visa card from MidFirst Bank.

Since the service's launch last year, merchant support has been one of the biggest obstacles for Apple Pay. Although there are nearly 500 compatible banks in the U.S. alone, the number of merchants has lagged far behind, despite efforts to reach out to smaller chains and independents.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Awesome!
    I wonder if Apple paid for the new terminals.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Awesome!

I wonder if Apple paid for the new terminals.

I think it would be a great strategy for Apple to take. Even if they only paid for half, or if they provided financing terms for the purchase of Apple Pay compatible terminals for businesses, it would help speed the adoption of Apple Pay.

• Reply 3 of 11
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I think it would be a great strategy for Apple to take. Even if they only paid for half, or if they provided financing terms for the purchase of Apple Pay compatible terminals for businesses, it would help speed the adoption of Apple Pay.

It's an awesome strategy.  By doing this, Apple also gets people to start actually using it.  Having college students (and faculty) using it means it will become more mainstream with the younger minds, then resulting in it being considered the norm a year or two from now and ApplePay will be expected in non-college outlets as well.

On a similar subject, where has CurrentC been lately?  Haven't heard word-one from that sham of a conglomerate lately.

• Reply 4 of 11

Seems unlikely that the terminals would accept Apple Pay exclusively for wireless payments.

I find it hard to believe that they would not also accept Android Pay.

• Reply 5 of 11
    techlover wrote: »
    Seems unlikely that the terminals would accept Apple Pay exclusively for wireless payments.

Yeah, I know, no way to leave out the dregs....

But not a big deal. It'll merely lead to greater Apple adoption in the long run.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

But not a big deal. It'll merely lead to greater Apple adoption in the long run.

I understand your point of view but I might say:

"Yeah, I know, no way to leave out the other half of the population....

But not a big deal. It'll merely lead to greater mobile payment adoption in the long run."

:) 

Edited for typo

• Reply 7 of 11
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Happy to see this done sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    Is Android Pay (not Google Wallet) available yet? And does it work with any Google Wear device? Just curious. Apple Pay on the Watch is quite good.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Levi View Post

Is Android Pay (not Google Wallet) available yet? And does it work with any Google Wear device? Just curious. Apple Pay on the Watch is quite good.

That is my fault. I was confused thinking Google had already re-branded Google Wallet as Android Pay with it's new features and that it was already out. But I was wrong about that. I think you can use Google Wallet almost everywhere there is terminal with NFC still. 

I just read that supposedly Android Pay is to debut this summer. ¯\_(?)_/¯ 

• Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

Not that you guys really care that much but here is a quick little update:

I emailed Morgan Day from the press release and asked "Do those terminals also accept Android Pay/Google Wallet?".

And Morgan responded "They sure do!"

Also @Levi I did a little looking around and it appears that Android Wear does not support NFC at the moment (although its apparently coming in the future). So by and large most (but not all) of the current Android wear based watches do not have the same NFC convenience as the Apple Watch for payments. It appears that if an Android Wear watch uses mobile payments it is not using NFC. I could be mistaken though.

Not to bother @Gatorguy about it, but I bet he knows a lot more than I do regarding Android Wear and mobile payments.

I don't own either an Apple Watch or an Android Wear watch so my first hand experience is extremely limited.

• Reply 11 of 11
    "the first such university in the country to do so"

Um, we've had ApplePay at the University of California, Irvine since this past Winter or Spring quarter. Dunno if it's at every single last terminal, but it's been everywhere that I've frequented and could use a credit/debit card.