Apple eyes move into original video programming, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
A report citing high-ranking executives within the entertainment industry claims Apple is looking to create in-house movie or TV programming, suggesting the company is headed down a path forged by the likes of Netflix and Hulu.

According to Variety, Apple has been in talks with Hollywood executives over the past few weeks to gauge interest in potential partnerships over "entertainment content," though it is unclear if the company's ambitions lie in television or long-form programming. The overtures come directly from a group tasked by SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue, who also runs point on other important content-related revenue makers like iTunes.

If the report is accurate, Apple is apparently looking to make a splash if and when a program is announced, as sources claim the company tried to nab Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May after they left hit BBC show "Top Gear" earlier this year. That cast ultimately signed on with Amazon in a multi-million dollar deal.

One source claims Cupertino is planning to engage in headhunting operations to glean talent from top content providers including Netflix, a leader in the market that has enjoyed wide praise with its expanding original programming lineup. The process is rumored to go into action over the coming months and, if successful, could lead to a service debut sometime next year.

The rest of the report reads as speculation as to the potential of Apple's plans, with guesses as to content format, distribution models and likely tie-ins with an expected, but long overdue, Apple TV over-the-top streaming offering. If Apple does create or co-produce content, whether it be movies or episodic shows, Apple TV exclusivity would be a boon for the hardware platform.

Long a middleman serving a world of consumers thirsty for fresh music, movies and television shows, Apple has more recently turned its attention to content creation with Apple Music. For example, the company set up its own Internet radio infrastructure with Beats 1 and reportedly lent a hand in creating music videos for high-profile artists like Eminem, Pharrell and Drake.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member

Darned it, I wish they snatched the Top Gear guys!!

• Reply 2 of 86
    I wonder if this means Samsung and LG will get into making movies and TV series for their own channels? ;)
  • Reply 3 of 86
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If you want to get viewers Sports should be your focus. Apple should spect $30B buying up rights to sports worldwide for the next 10 years and these Apple TVs would sell themselves. I know many people in my country have Sky for their sports channels, and what a dumb company to have a monopoly on sports.
  • Reply 4 of 86
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

If Apple wanted to get into niche original programming, they could probably buy the El Rey Network...

• Reply 5 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I wonder if this means Samsung…

This is how I imagine Samsung’s children’s programming would look.

• Reply 6 of 86
    I think it is nothing more than Apple bringing some of its ad creation and production in-house (which, btw, has not worked out all that great).

At least I hope so. This is the last thing Apple should be diversifying into. This space is crowded, chaotic, and all over the map presently.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is how I imagine Samsung’s children’s programming would look...

The horror...the horror...

• Reply 8 of 86
    Darned it, I wish they snatched the Top Gear guys!!

I love the show, and love the guys, but my bet is they're PC guys. Just a guess.
  • Reply 9 of 86

Not surprising, Apple have said on many occasions they want to own key technologies/parts of their platform.  If they are going to play in the living room it makes perfect sense.  Hopefully they don't follow Netflix foot step of only pushing original contents while some are great, but also lots of crap too with limited 3rd party contents, specially movies.

• Reply 10 of 86
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    I look forward to the premier of AnalystBusters, exclusively on AppleTV.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/62252/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 11 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I think it is nothing more than Apple bringing some of its ad creation and production in-house (which, btw, has not worked out all that great).

At least I hope so. This is the last thing Apple should be diversifying into. This space is crowded, chaotic, and all over the map presently.

I agree. Maybe they should instead for on building that car or even hyper loop designed by Elan. If they really want original contents, buy away Netflix.

• Reply 12 of 86
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    Will they use App Store guidelines, which will only allow content that's G-rated or less; or will they use iTunes Store guidelines, which will allow anything R-rated or worse?
  • Reply 13 of 86
    I love the show, and love the guys, but my bet is they're PC guys. Just a guess.

I suspect Clarkson would probably not be a good fit for Apple; he's liable to say something that irritates someone.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Has Tim Cook forgotten what the word focus means? It seems to me Apple has a pretty full plate right now:

[LIST]
    [*] Redesigned iOS and OS X with a ton of new features that needs a lot more polish and bug fixing
    [*] Redesigned iWork apps that still need attention and improvement
    [*] Apple Watch and watchOS
    [*] HealthKit
    [*] HomeKit
    [*] ResearchKit
    [*] CarPlay
    [*] ApplePay
    [*] Apple News
    [*] Apple Music
    [*] Proactive
    [*] Partnership with IBM
    [*] Partnership with Cisco
    [*] Partnership with US military in wearables space
    [*] Apple Store redesigns (and expansion in China)
    [*] Campus 2
    [*] New ?TV with SDK
    [*] Possible iPad "Pro"
    [*] Project Titan
    [*] And god knows what else that haven't been rumored about
    [/LIST]

I think Cook needs to start saying no. When there's too many irons in the fire you end up with a lot of stuff but not a lot of best in class stuff. I don't think Apple needs to get into the content creation business. They just need to be the platform that everybody wants to be on.

But maybe this is just Apple using its cash to buy up exclusives. I'm not really a fan of exclusives but that probably wouldn't be as much of a resource drain as Apple getting into the original content business.
  • Reply 15 of 86

Something with Pixar mayhap?  :D

• Reply 16 of 86

I suspect Clarkson would probably not be a good fit for Apple; he's liable to say something that irritates someone.

That's why I like him so much! :D
  • Reply 17 of 86
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

I look forward to the premier of AnalystBusters, exclusively on AppleTV. ...

Or how about "Pirates of Silicon Valley 2.0"?

• Reply 18 of 86
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Ahh, the strange world of the Apple Prognosticator.

Image courtesy of MacNN

• Reply 19 of 86
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I really hope this is just a negotiating tactic on Apple's part. Throw these rumors out there to get better leverage during negotiations with content companies.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

But Dre is just fine.