Documents reveal Apple's secretive next-generation retail store design [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
Apple representatives gave local government officials in Tennessee a glimpse at the future of the Apple Store during a recent planning meeting, showing off a design that continues the architectural trends begun with Manhattan's Upper West Side store.

The new store features floor-to-ceiling glass panels and a roof that appears to be intended, at least in part, to allow natural light to filter in from above. It also includes a lighter natural granite facade and a simplified interior layout designed to show off the product tables from the street.

Apple's presentation to local government officials was first discovered by AppleInsider reader Michael. The quality of the image is the best we could capture from Apple's proposal.

Apple's Upper West Side store in Manhattan was the company's first to move to the more natural look, and the design has since been adapted for other outlets. The recently-remodeled Palo Alto location is one example.

Apple has not abandoned its traditional stainless steel-and-glass look entirely, though. Two high-profile new locations in greater China --?Canton Road in Hong Kong and MixC in Hangzhou --?carry a refined version of the more well-known styling, suggesting that Apple may be prepared to move forward with more than one design language.

In the event that Apple does segment its store designs in some manner, they will not be completely disjointed as the two styles do share common elements. The predominantly steel shops sport natural stone interior walls, for example, while the other locations continue to utilize stainless steel as an accent.

Update: Local publication The Commercial Appeal has acquired a higher resolution image of Apple's proposed store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I hate it.

I love it.

Nothing more to be said! ;-)
  • Reply 2 of 32
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    You guys asked for it in the comments section.

Well here it is!!
  • Reply 3 of 32
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

This looks a lot like the future San Francisco flagship store.  Doesn't seem so secret to me.

• Reply 4 of 32
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Kind of hard to get a good impression from that photo but I am liking the natural light.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    Clean and inviting. Great improvement over what is already good.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

This looks a lot like the future San Francisco flagship store.  Doesn't seem so secret to me.

Other than the ceiling design, those two stores could not be more different. 

• Reply 7 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Looks pretty gorgeous. As expected. Under Cook everything Apple does has gotten a significant facelift, from the hardware, to the software, to the marketing materials, app design, website, retail, etc.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobJohnson View Post

Other than the ceiling design, those two stores could not be more different. 

It's basically a big box with floor-to-ceiling glass windows/door.  Sure, the AI photo has it with thicker borders around the perimeter, but it's pretty darn close to the same concept as far as I'm concerned.  At least, that was my immediate reaction when I saw it.

• Reply 9 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

You guys asked for it in the comments section.

Well here it is!!

I failed at reading comprehension earlier. I accept this. Anyway, cool to see the new layout. I like it!

• Reply 10 of 32

I love it!  Oh, wait... I better get my magnifying glass out to look at the caption to see if this is the new design or an old design.

• Reply 11 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

It's basically a big box with floor-to-ceiling glass windows/door.  Sure, the AI photo has it with thicker borders around the perimeter, but it's pretty darn close to the same concept as far as I'm concerned.  At least, that was my immediate reaction when I saw it.

So we're just ignoring the fact that one is made completely out of stainless steel and the other is made completely out of stone?

• Reply 12 of 32
    Apple representatives gave local government officials in Tennessee a glimpse at the future of the Apple Store during a recent planning meeting, showing off a design that continues the architectural trends begun with Manhattan's Upper West Side store.

Were local officials given such a blurry drawing?
  • Reply 13 of 32
    sflocal wrote: »

[image]

I feel like I've been seeing that image for years. I know they had an issue with that fugly fountain but what else is going on that this store isn't already operational?
  • Reply 14 of 32
    Am I still allowed to be a fan of Apple if I buy their products at Best Buy and Amazon because I find their retail stores pretentious?
  • Reply 15 of 32
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Nice.
    Now, just imagine those tables not being there; and in their place, 3 or 4 beautiful, gleaming ?Cars.
  • Reply 16 of 32
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobJohnson View Post

So we're just ignoring the fact that one is made completely out of stainless steel and the other is made completely out of stone?

I'm guessing you've never taken an art history class? 

• Reply 16 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dtrace View Post

Am I still allowed to be a fan of Apple if I buy their products at Best Buy and Amazon because I find their retail stores pretentious?

Nope. You would still be pretentious, under that scenario.

• Reply 18 of 32
    The Palo Alto store has bollards now, too:

Street view:
    https://goo.gl/maps/WnblO
  • Reply 19 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

LOL...so being a fan of Apple is what makes one pretentious rather than where they buy their gear.  Good to know the rules :-)

• Reply 20 of 32
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dtrace View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

LOL...so being a fan of Apple is what makes one pretentious rather than where they buy their gear.  Good to know the rules :-)

Hey, they are Apple's stores (they're an Apple product themselves). If you believe they're pretentious, then Apple is pretentious; therefor you are pretentious. (or you're a hypocrite)