New iMac displays said to improve color saturation via LED phosphor, sales could reach 1M this quart

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2015
Apple is soon expected to debut new models of its all-in-one iMac lineup with improved displays --?an upgrade that one analyst has predicted will drive sales this quarter to 1 million units.

In a research note to investors, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple's forthcoming iMac upgrade will have a "much better display."

Specifically, Kuo indicated that the new iMacs will use a LED phosphor material known as KSF, which is said to boost color saturations on the display. The iMac upgrade is also expected to boast more powerful Intel processors.

Kuo expects iMac shipments to reach 1 million units this quarter, which would be 100 percent sequential growth from the June quarter. In addition to new models, he believes sales may be bolstered by new promotion programs.

The main beneficiaries from the new iMacs are said to be G Tech Optoelectrics, which makes cover glass for the desktops, as well as AzureWave, which is responsible for their 802.11ac Wi-Fi cards.

The comments from the analyst echo a similar sentiment he shared a month ago, when it was first revealed by Kuo that new iMacs are expected to launch very soon. He has maintained that position, despite the fact that there is now less than a month left in the September quarter.

With Apple set to hold a media event next Wednesday, it's possible that new iMacs with upgraded displays could share some stage time. The highlights of the Sept. 9 event are expected to be a revamped Apple TV and the next-generation "iPhone 6s" series.

Kuo has not indicated whether the new iMacs will include a rumored super-high-resolution 8K model, or a 21.5-inch iMac with Retina display.

It was last October that Apple revamped its iMac lineup with the 27-inch 5K model, representing one of the highest-resolution displays available. The professional-grade desktop allows photographers to see 17-megapixel images in their entirety on the display, or for videographers to edit 4K video at full-screen resolution.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 34
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

It's going to be a long time before my Retina iMac feels like it needs an upgrade.

• Reply 2 of 34

I hope Apple goes back to a removable glass panel that allows you to access the inside of the machine for upgrades, repairs, and cleaning. It seems a sick joke for a $2,000 computer to be glued together with double-sided tape.

• Reply 3 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

It's going to be a long time before my Retina iMac feels like it needs an upgrade.

An opinion not shared by those without retina displays.

• Reply 4 of 34
    Dear Apple, a nice hi res large display for the "new" Mac Pro would be highly appreciated. Of course you could force me to by an LG or Samsung, but why tick off a very loyal customer with an itchy wallet?
  • Reply 5 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by vinnie-bob View Post

Dear Apple, a nice hi res large display for the "new" Mac Pro would be highly appreciated. Of course you could force me to by an LG or Samsung, but why tick off a very loyal customer with an itchy wallet?

Ticked off by them not making something you want? Life's too short to hold grudges.

• Reply 6 of 34
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by stargazerCT View Post

I disagree. I have an iMac 27" Core-i7 from late 2009 and it still runs exceptionally well and I have no plans to upgrade to a new system anytime soon. (Although I must add... I did recently upgrade to 16GB of RAM and installed a 64GB SSD which I used to create a Fusion drive. And my next planned upgrade is to replace the WiFi/Bluetooth card.)

• Reply 7 of 34
    According to the following page, it's looking as though the Mac Pro team has been disbanded - Apple does not include the MP in its "portrait" of the Mac family now. I sure hope these folks are wrong, but it does look a tad gloomy for the MP.

http://architosh.com/2015/09/apples-latest-mac-family-portrait-missing-mac-pro/
  • Reply 8 of 34
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    vinnie-bob wrote: »

I thought thunderbolt was the reason we don't have a 5K Cinema Display yet.
  • Reply 9 of 34
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    According to the following page, it's looking as though the Mac Pro team has been disbanded - Apple does not include the MP in its "portrait" of the Mac family now. I sure hope these folks are wrong, but it does look a tad gloomy for the MP.

http://architosh.com/2015/09/apples-latest-mac-family-portrait-missing-mac-pro/

Mac Pro is still listed..

33z37es.jpg
  • Reply 10 of 34
    Anecdotal and not analytical.
    We have 2010 iMac and $2500 just waiting.
  • Reply 11 of 34
    Odd that they would consider an iMac release now. The Skylake processors won't be available for another few months? So they'll be updating them with the nearly last gen processors?
  • Reply 12 of 34
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Take the blinders off. Not everybody would be upgrading from the most recent version.

• Reply 13 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Mac Pro is still listed..

33z37es.jpg

Indeed, it is still listed for sale. The gist of the article is that going forward the Mac Pro may be not be updated. I can see Apple continuing to manufacture today's models for quite some time and eventually putting it to sleep down the road. I don't like that option, but I can see why Apple might do so. They only have so much time, attention, and resources, and they're getting into a lot of stuff lately. 

• Reply 14 of 34
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    schlack wrote: »
    Odd that they would consider an iMac release now. The Skylake processors won't be available for another few months? So they'll be updating them with the nearly last gen processors?

Skylake was just launched:

http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz
    http://ark.intel.com/products/codename/37572/Skylake
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559

Supplies might be thin at launch but no need to use last-gen processors. The next MBP chips are available too.

The Mac Pro will use Broadwell Xeon E5-2600v4, not due until early 2016:

They have a new network controller that can do 10Gbit ethernet and I would expect the ethernet ports to go and be replaced by USB C because it's now native to that format, you can send all sorts of protocols over the same port. The entire back of the Mac Pro can be USB C as it's also TB3 up to 40Gbps per port. Up to 18-core, up to 512GB RAM, up to 2TB SSD @ 2-3GB/s, dual AMD based on R9 with up to 16GB video memory with 2x performance.

The September event is for iOS devices though. They usually have an October event for Macs. Skylake has wireless tech so if Apple's using it, they'll talk about that and the MBP will probably get some design changes like the Macbook.
  • Reply 15 of 34
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Thunderbolt 3 and Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (USB 3.1 hub)? HDMI 2?
  • Reply 16 of 34
    Another iMac update another buy it because the screen is just gorgeous. The best you've ever seen.
    Look at that contrast, look at those colors.

Yawn.
  • Reply 17 of 34
    mjtomlin wrote: »

I disagree. I have an iMac 27" Core-i7 from late 2009 and it still runs exceptionally well and I have no plans to upgrade to a new system anytime soon. (Although I must add... I did recently upgrade to 16GB of RAM and installed a 64GB SSD which I used to create a Fusion drive. And my next planned upgrade is to replace the WiFi/Bluetooth card.)

Same boat. No SSD yet, but that is coming. What do you gain upgrading wifi/bluetooth? Still quite happy with mine... if Apple would just fix the preview app anyway.
  • Reply 18 of 34

IMO, it's past time for Apple to offer a wide gamut display.

• Reply 19 of 34
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Indeed, it is still listed for sale. The gist of the article is that going forward the Mac Pro may be not be updated. I can see Apple continuing to manufacture today's models for quite some time and eventually putting it to sleep down the road. I don't like that option, but I can see why Apple might do so. They only have so much time, attention, and resources, and they're getting into a lot of stuff lately. 

This may be a matter of someone not understanding business. The major engineering on the machine is done, as such the machine doesn't need a team any more. This even more so when it takes the industry more that two years to deliver chip sets that would result in a worthwhile upgrade to a Pro platform. There is little incentive to update this machine every six months much less every year so it makes perfect sense to reallocate talent to other hardware.

As for 1 Mac Pro sale per 100 of the rest of the line what do people really expect? That is actually pretty good sales for a workstation platform. If that number is true you are probably talking close to 500,000 units a year, not bad at all for a workstation.

My concern is the attitude at Apple where they don't seem to want to bother with thing of lesser demand. We see this with video monitors for example so it isn't just a Mac Pro problem.
  • Reply 20 of 34
    Finally some Mac News!! I hope they will bring Retina to the entire lineup. Also, I am very curious what Apple does with the MacBook Air. The MacBook is thinner and lighter than the MacBook Air, and I know a lot of people who are confused about this. So something needs to change there.

My guess would be an iPad Pro running iOS when used as an iPad and when attaching a Keyboard it will switch to OS X. That would make a lot of sense to all this Continuity features.