AppleInsider podcast delves into the rumored Apple TV, 'iPhone 6s,' retail store designs & more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
With just a few days to go until Apple's Sept. 9 event, the AppleInsider podcast dives deep into the future of Apple TV, streaming content, rumors of new iMacs, new retail store designs, the next-generation iPhone, and an enterprise push with Cisco.

AppleInsider staff members Shane Cole, Neil Hughes and Victor Marks discuss these top stories:
  • The latest Apple TV rumors: Universal Siri search, new interface

• Apple's alleged content push for Apple TV

• New 21.5-inch iMac with 4k display rumored

• Android Wear gains compatibility with iOS

• A new direction for Apple's retail store designs

• Catch up on the latest "iPhone 6s" rumors

• Cisco and Apple partner in a continuation of Apple's push into enterprise
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.

You can also listen to it embedded via SoundCloud below:

Show note links: We'd appreciate your feedback and comments, as well as any questions that we can answer on future episodes. Send your responses to the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow or tweet at us @appleinsider.

Finally, anyone interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    $149 once better than renting a box from Comcast for $10 or $15 a month indefinitely. How you don't grasp that is pathetic.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

With the rumours about an iMac with special new phosphor monitor, might the new Apple TV have one model that is a full TV?

• Reply 3 of 11
    Where's DED been lately?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Where's DED been lately?
    Supposedly somewhere in Europe. Or not.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

With the rumours about an iMac with special new phosphor monitor, might the new Apple TV have one model that is a full TV?

No.

Thankfully Apple smartened up and canned that project, and realized there is nothing they can't accomplish with and HDMI connected box. No need to own the display. For 1080p, it can't get any better than the TV I have right now. Its beautiful. I zero incentive to buy an Apple HDTV for thousands of unecessary dollars....when I can get the best Apple can think of for the living room with a $149 box.

• Reply 6 of 11
    I hope the Apple TV price is justified, as I'm still using the second generation (couldn't justify price for 1080p video). I don't care what it costs really - just need anything new for my living room!
  • Reply 7 of 11

The only way I'd buy any new Apple TV (we're cord cutters since 2012) is if it finally has memory and is more of an updated ATV1. That machine rocked. Our ATV2 and 3 mostly sit and gather dust. 

• Reply 8 of 11
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

No.

Thankfully Apple smartened up and canned that project, and realized there is nothing they can't accomplish with and HDMI connected box. No need to own the display. For 1080p, it can't get any better than the TV I have right now. Its beautiful. I zero incentive to buy an Apple HDTV for thousands of unecessary dollars....when I can get the best Apple can think of for the living room with a $149 box.

Maybe it can get better though (the display), we haven't seen these new phosphors Apple are rumoured to have.

The Apple invitations always have a double meaning. In this one, people have been taking "Siri, give us a hint" as meaning they should ask Siri, which is one meaning. But another way you could read it, is the GUI of Siri gives us a hint. The GUI of Siri, which is pictured in the invitation, is all those coloured waveforms. Which could refer to a new colour reproduction technology, debuting at the event. 

• Reply 9 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    ascii wrote: »
    The Apple invitations always have a double meaning. In this one, people have been taking "Siri, give us a hint" as meaning they should ask Siri, which is one meaning. But another way you could read it, is the GUI of Siri gives us a hint. The GUI of Siri, which is pictured in the invitation, is all those coloured waveforms. Which could refer to a new colour reproduction technology, debuting at the event.

One of the hints Siri gives is that there's going to be a big announcement at the event. New display tech would be ok but I don't think they'd call it a big announcement. Maybe Tim will announce he's running for president after all, then he can executive order whatever tax policies he wants. It kind of implies a new product because upgrades to existing products wouldn't qualify as announcements. I don't think an ?TV would either.

A UHD OLED actual TV would, they have ones now that are so light they can just stick to the wall. You can imagine them having a magnetic brace that contains the ?TV hardware that you screw up and just stick the panel onto it. If you need a new ?TV, you get a new brace but keep the panel. The HDMI ports can also be on or near the plug, not the TV so the cables from every other box (consoles, media boxes, DVR etc) go to the power socket and keep the TV looking clean. The price point would allow for all sorts of better tech than trying to get them into a cheap box. It would be able to reach current ?TV units but with much higher revenue/profit. They'd have a smaller size, still UHD as a Thunderbolt display but razor thin.

It could be something car related but it would be pretty early unless they've teamed up with another company (like BMW) already making electric cars and were able to hit the ground running with a manufacturing line. Like the BMW i8 but about half the price and geared towards typical family use:

• Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

$149 once better than renting a box from Comcast for $10 or $15 a month indefinitely. How you don't grasp that is pathetic.

I cut off the TV portion of cable in 2008. I pay for internet-only. I don't rent a cable box or a cable modem.

Here's what happens when you do this:

You pay more for internet when you cut out all the bundling. 

You buy the $149 box (or $34 if it's Fire TV Stick, 69-79 if it's a Roku, etc.) but you still have to pay for content from somewhere, 7.99 here, 11.99 there, and so on. Those content services are priced the same across the board, so paying $149 when everyone else's equivalent box is far cheaper is worth considering carefully. Just because the $149 plus the 95 a year for Hulu, for example, is less than cable TV for a year, doesn't mean that's the easy choice. You could use the $34 Amazon Fire TV Stick just as well. The question is, what is it that's going to make the AppleTV worth it.

Making the leap from $69 to $149 puts it outside the realm of being an easy impulse purchase.

• Reply 11 of 11
    The user and all related content has been deleted.