This week on AppleInsider: Cisco link-up, Sept. 9 rumors, Apple-made TV shows & more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
News was jam-packed ahead of Sept. 9's press event with Apple announcing a Cisco enterprise partnership, and a flood of rumors emerging about things like video content deals, the fourth-generation Apple TV, and a 21.5-inch 4K iMac.

To keep up on the latest in the Apple world, download the official AppleInsider app, and subscribe to our email newsletter.

Apple, Cisco partner on enterprise

On Monday Apple announced a partnership meant to optimize the performance of iOS devices on Cisco-based networks, including phone and video communications. An office worker might, for example, be able to take the same call on their iPhone or Cisco handset.

To talk about the deal, Apple CEO Tim Cook made a surprise appearance at Cisco's annual Global Sales Experience event, where he sat with executive chairman John Chambers.

Apple mulls original video content

Multiple reports suggested that Apple has been exploring the idea of original video content, treading into territory now being pioneered by Netflix and Amazon. Any such efforts are believed to be preliminary and not guaranteed to come to fruition.

The company allegedly made an "audacious bid" to lure in the former hosts of BBC's Top Gear, but the trio were eventually picked up by Amazon instead.

Officials get early glimpse at new Apple Store aesthetic

A planned Tennessee Apple Store may signal the further evolution of Apple retail architecture, with traits like a granite facade, a simplified internal layout, and broader use of natural lighting. Changes in the design of Apple Stores have occurred relatively slowly, limited by the pace of openings and the need for familiarity.

Apple is continuing to use its old design in some new shops, among them high-profile Chinese locations.

New Apple TV said to cost $149, include universal search

Breaking from Apple's normal tactic of favoring iTunes content, the fourth-generation Apple TV will allegedly include Roku-style universal search, making it possible to find media across multiple providers. Users should then be able to choose how to watch.

A $149 price tag would make the new device substantially more expensive than the current set-top, which is only $69. It's expected to debut next week however with a slate of other new features, such as Siri, an App Store, and a touchpad remote.

New Apple Watch, iPad customization coming

The Sept. 9 event could also herald the arrival of new case and band materials for the Apple Watch, along with a "revamped iPad keyboard." Those bands might include new Sport colors.

One of the case materials could be a less expensive gold option. At the moment, picking a gold Watch costs between $10,000 and $17,000.

4K compact iMac rumored to ship by November

Providing a cheaper Retina option than the 27-inch 5K model, Apple is thought to be working on an updated 21.5-inch iMac with a 4,096-by-2,304-pixel display. It could be announced at an October event and ship by the start of November.

Rumors of a 4K iMac have been ongoing for a month, supported by code in OS X El Capitan.

AppleInsider podcast

Our editors gathered together to discuss the multitude of Apple hardware rumors, as well as other topics like Android Wear expanding support to the iPhone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Its going one big event...updates to the entire product line.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    pmz wrote: »
    Its going one big event...updates to the entire product line.

Possibly. It seems the rumours are always much more extensive than what actually occurs, what we do know is incomplete, and then there are usually complete surprises that none of the rumour mills mentioned.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

Possibly. It seems the rumours are always much more extensive than what actually occurs, what we do know is incomplete, and then there are usually complete surprises that none of the rumour mills mentioned.

With the 'conventional wisdom' saying there is an October Event, I have a feeling the sense at the end of this event will leave us feeling

"One Less Thing..."

For me, my iPhone 4s is missing parts of the front and the back  Since January (and I'm amazed that it still works, given that I'm hyperhidrotic (look it up, people ;-) ), I, for one, am looking forward one thing: PreOrder Date.

• Reply 4 of 7
    [quote name="TheOtherGeoff" url="/t/188037/this-week-on-appleinsider-cisco-link-up-sept-9-rumors-apple-made-tv-shows-more#post_2771146"]With the 'conventional wisdom' saying there is an October Event, I have a feeling the sense at the end of this event will leave us feeling

"One Less Thing..."[/QUOTE]

You mean the rumours that there will NOT be an October event, thus making this September feeling like an overload of new technology, products, and dat ago digest?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

You mean the rumours that there will NOT be an October event, thus making this September feeling like an overload of new technology, products, and dat ago digest?

It wouldn't terribly surprise me to see Apple come out of the gates with a big update-day like this. I don't think we're going to see new Macs yet, but given the reporting I think we could certainly see iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, and lessly Apple Watch all receive updates in the same event.

It will probably go: 1) Apple Watch bands, 2) iPhone, 3) iPad, 4) AppleTV.

The iPhones will be available soon after in the usual fashion, and introducing a new category iPad (Pro) that won't be released for another month or so doesn't hurt anything. Same with an overdue Apple TV update.

• Reply 6 of 7
    pmz wrote: »

It wouldn't terribly surprise me to see Apple come out of the gates with a big update-day like this. I don't think we're going to see new Macs yet, but given the reporting I think we could certainly see iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, and lessly Apple Watch all receive updates in the same event.
    It will probably go: 1) Apple Watch bands, 2) iPhone, 3) iPad, 4) AppleTV.
    The iPhones will be available soon after in the usual fashion, and introducing a new category iPad (Pro) that won't be released for another month or so doesn't hurt anything. Same with an overdue Apple TV update.

There seems to be just enough talk about new a new iMac that Macs might be coming, too, but I would have to look at Intel's actual shipping of the appropriate Skyake chips for me to be able to say either way if I think that's a possibility for any of the Mac product line; which I won't do since I feel certain that we won't see a new 15" MBP until 2016, which is my concern.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

(and I'm amazed that it still works, given that I'm hyperhidrotic (look it up, people ;-) )

That's one interesting condition you've got there... I wonder if it comes with some benefit, like eliminating body toxins faster, or if it's just plain frustrating?