Large Apple logo goes up at Bill Graham Auditorium ahead of iPhone event

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
Apple is putting a legion of carpenters, electricians, security personnel and other contractors to work this Labor Day weekend as it readies San Francisco's Bill Graham Auditorium for what is expected to be a massive iPhone event next week.

As speculated in previous reports, Apple is indeed installing huge 15-foot Apple logos in the auditorium's ornate window arches, as seen in photos provided byAppleInsider reader Sean. According to planning documents unearthed last week, the fiberboard decorations, which were described as malformed stars instead of Apple's instantly recognizable logo, are supported by temporary truss frame substructures.

In addition to the posters and flags set up on Friday, a banner attached to the venue's billboard now reads "Special Event." It is unclear if Apple intends to change the text prior to the Sept. 9 event.

Not clearly seen in the photos is the army of security guards crawling over the entire area. Venue security -- and the secrecy it provides -- has long been a hallmark of Apple events, but the number of personnel patrolling outside the 7,000-seat auditorium seems unusual.

Tighter security might be mean Apple is making accommodations for a special guest. On Friday Fortune's Philip Elmer-DeWitt floated the idea that Apple intends to treat employees to a performance from Taylor Swift. It is thought that Apple sent out the usual number of press invitations, leaving thousands of seats vacant.

Apple is expected to introduce next-generation iPhone handsets and new Apple TV hardware on Wednesday, with outside possibilities being a larger-screened "iPad Pro," a backlit iPad keyboard, a cheaper gold Apple Watch and new Sport Band colors. AppleInsider will be on the scene to cover the event live.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    "...a cheaper gold watch..."

LOL! I don't think so.
  • Reply 2 of 75
    Dang. I was holding out for the big surprise: a new star logo!
  • Reply 3 of 75
    I think we're all expecting Apple to follow Google's lead by changing their name to Cuneiform¡
  • Reply 4 of 75
    solipsismy wrote: »
    I think we're all expecting Apple to follow Google's lead by changing their name to Cuneiform¡

I have it on good authority the new name will be Zebra.
  • Reply 5 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    9to5Mac is reporting that inside Apple they're referring to the force touch on iPhone/iPad as 3D touch. Considering how Huawei just announced a phone and ripped off using Apple's force touch marketing term I would laugh my ass off if Apple renamed it to something else!
  • Reply 6 of 75
    rogifan wrote: »
    9to5Mac is reporting that inside Apple they're referring to the force touch on iPhone/iPad as 3D touch.

The three types of presses they mention seem reasonable, but The Verge states that it would be added two extra types of "touches," not just one. They list a tap, a press, and a deep press. I would think a tap is like how you currently would change a cursor in a text box and a press would be how you currently bring up the other text options, which leaves Force Touch as the only new option.
  • Reply 7 of 75
    Higher security for a special guest (like Taylor Swift"?

Are you shitting me? How about security for the top executives (including Cook) of the world's largest and most powerful tech company? The only special guests I could think of that would warrant measures over and above the usual for Apple execs would be for the President.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    Higher security for a special guest (like Taylor Swift"?

Are you shitting me? How about security for the top executives (including Cook) of the world's largest and most powerful tech company? The only special guests I could think of that would warrant measures over and above the usual for Apple execs would be for the President.

Believe me when I say that more people want to save a water bottle Taylor Swift drank out of than from Tim Cook.
  • Reply 9 of 75
    Believe me when I say that more people want to save a water bottle Taylor Swift drank out of than from Tim Cook.

More 13 yr old, maybe.
  • Reply 10 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

On the other hand, those people are probably not the ones security is really concerned with.

On subject: I wonder if the "new Apple TV" is going to be a HomeKit control center. I've been looking into command and control of multi-power-outlet extenders, and it turns out the "not-yet-old-Apple-TV" has some basic features for that, that can be used with some rare elements of hardware on the market. I wonder if this year could be a good time to show really natural and easy to use home C&C integration... 

• Reply 11 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"...a cheaper gold watch..."

LOL! I don't think so.

I think they mean gold aluminium one.

• Reply 12 of 75
    I would think a tap is like how you currently would change a cursor in a text box and a press would be how you currently bring up the other text options, which leaves Force Touch as the only new option.

Agreed. What The Verge calls "press" is likely what people here often call "long press" -- differentiated from "tap" by TIME, not intensity of pressure.

The name "3D" Touch" -- if they actually use it -- would be good in terms of marketing and AWARENESS, serving as a constant reminder to users that there are three ways to interact with the screen (even if two of those have existed for a long time).
  • Reply 13 of 75
    ireland wrote: »

I think they mean gold aluminium one.

I'd be surprised if they come up with a cheap gold/gold aluminum version as it would be impossible to discern from a distance. And that's I suppose why people who buy the edition buy the edition.
  • Reply 14 of 75
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

9to5Mac is reporting that inside Apple they're referring to the force touch on iPhone/iPad as 3D touch. Considering how Huawei just announced a phone and ripped off using Apple's force touch marketing term I would laugh my ass off if Apple renamed it to something else!

The most laughable thing about Huawei's forced touch phone is that its only in the limited edition (128GB verison), and likely not available till well past Apple ships. Complete total joke.

• Reply 15 of 75
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

I'd be surprised if they come up with a cheap gold/gold aluminum version as it would be impossible to discern from a distance. And that's I suppose why people who buy the edition buy the edition.

Really? Impossible to distinguish aluminium finish from Gold, gold has a very particular finish that's quite different from the current gold Iphone for example, or even the finish of the Apple Watch. Gold has some kind of sheen that's hard to describe.

From far away, maybe impossible to distinguish, but from a few feet away, pretty easy to distinguish I'd say.

• Reply 16 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

More 13 yr old, maybe.

She's sold 170M+ album and singles in 9 years, so I'm guessing it is not just 13 years old buying them.... She's filled the staple center in LA 17 times in a row (a record), that's a lot (350K) of paying fans in a few weeks. Even though her concerts do skew young and female (tweens, teens, young adults and their mother); those that buy her music though are a much more varied bunch.

Only Rihanna's in the same league as her in that period. Rihanna has sold 190M records in the 10 years since she's started her career.

#3 during that period is Katy Perry (90M), 100M records away from Rihanna and 80M away from Swift.

• Reply 17 of 75
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Really? Impossible to distinguish aluminium finish from Gold, gold has a very particular finish that's quite different from the current gold Iphone for example, or even the finish of the Apple Watch. Gold has some kind of sheen that's hard to describe.

From far away, maybe impossible to distinguish, but from a few feet away, pretty easy to distinguish I'd say.

I'm not arguing that you might be able to discern the two models from close up. That's why I said from a distance meaning you see it's an Apple watch and shines golden.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    She's sold 170M+ album and singles in 9 years, so I'm guessing it is not just 13 years old buying them.... She's filled the staple center in LA 17 times in a row (a record), that's a lot (350K) of paying fans in a few weeks. Even though her concerts do skew young and female (tweens, teens, young adults and their mother); those that buy her music though are a much more varied bunch.

Only Rihanna's in the same league as her in that period. Rihanna has sold 190M records in the 10 years since she's started her career.

#3 during that period is Katy Perry (90M), 100M records away from Rihanna and 80M away from Swift.

That's impressive I have to admit. Still, a bit away from Madonna (300 million albums). Also, Madonna holds a record she certainly is not so eager to break: with her latest album biggest second-week drop in history. ;)

Edit: I guess it's albums and singles as well since Wikipedia gives her 166 million albums.
  • Reply 19 of 75
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The most laughable thing about Huawei's forced touch phone is that its only in the limited edition (128GB verison), and likely not available till well past Apple ships. Complete total joke.

And not surprisingly the media is out there saying Apole was beaten to the punch because Huawei announced a "force touch" phone before Apple did. I guess the fact that new MacBook trackpads already have this functionality doesn't matter?
  • Reply 20 of 75
    On subject: I wonder if the "new Apple TV" is going to be a HomeKit control center. I've been looking into command and control of multi-power-outlet extenders, and it turns out the "not-yet-old-Apple-TV" has some basic features for that, that can be used with some rare elements of hardware on the market. I wonder if this year could be a good time to show really natural and easy to use home C&C integration... 

The Apple TV seems a likely place to put HomeKit's central command because it doesn't leave the house and is always connected, save for sleep mode, which can be adjusted so it's always on enough to receive data from HomeKit enabled devices. [@]sog35[/@] claims he knows it will absolutely not be in the Apple TV, but instead in something he's tentatively calling AppleHub. I guess I could see that happening, but I would think it would be easier to push the Apple TV if it had other features their competitors didn't have, and putting it in some discreet device just for controlling home appliances seems like a costly and wasted opportunity.

Personally, I'd like an Apple Home Server on the list and the hub for Home Kit to be controlled via an Apple TV, Airport router, or the Apple Home Server of your choosing.

slprescott wrote: »
    The name "3D" Touch" -- if they actually use it -- would be good in terms of marketing and AWARENESS, serving as a constant reminder to users that there are three ways to interact with the screen (even if two of those have existed for a long time).

3D Touch does seem fitting for that reason.

PS: It came to my attention that Apple Watch apps only seem to use tap and Force Touch, not long press. Are there apps that have this? If not, is it allowed by Apple Watch app makers in the SDK?

1) Both would be of a gold hue, one would simply have aluminium metal in the alloy.

2) He did say, "Impossible to discern from a distance." Obviously that distance depends on differences in color, the person's eyesight, and any obstacles that may be in the way, which include minute impurities in the air.

She's sold 170M+ album and singles in 9 years, so I'm guessing it is not just 13 years old buying them....

Didn't you know that the US' population is composing by at least 11% 13yo girls with disposable incomes any one time?¡