iPhone 6 most popular iPhone model, adopted faster than iPhone 5s, analytics firm says

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
The iPhone 6 is the most popular iPhone model in use, and both it and the 6 Plus have been adopted at a faster rate than either the 5s or 5c, analytics firm Localytics claimed on Tuesday.

The iPhone 6 currently accounts for 30.1 percent of iPhone tracking data, Localytics said, the next closest model being the 5s at 23.7 percent. Below it are the iPhone 5 at 12.8 percent, the 6 Plus at 9.1 percent, and the iPhone 4S at 8.8 percent. The iPhone 5c is sitting at just 8.5 percent.

Localytics noted that at the same time a year ago, iPhone 5s usage still ranked below the iPhone 5 -- 25 percent versus 27 percent. Despite the devices not being directly comparable, even 6 Plus adoption has been faster than that of the 5c, which managed only an 8 percent share by September 2014.

The 5s and 5c remained on sale that month after the introduction of the 6 and 6 Plus, serving as Apple's "budget" options. An iPhone 6c has been rumored, but is not expected to appear at Wednesday's press event, if at all. Instead, the 5s and 5c may be dropped in favor of a discounted iPhone 6.

The press event is expected to highlight two new flagship devices: an iPhone 6s and a 6s Plus. The pair could see slower adoption than their predecessors, since they're predicted to be relatively modest evolutions, gaining better performance, new cameras, and Force Touch support.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Will Apple upgrade the 6S screen resolution to at least HD to that of the Plus flagship?
  • Reply 2 of 33
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,904member
    You don't need multi million dollar analytics tool to know that. Either common sense or middle school kid can tell you that when iphone community was waiting the larger display screen since iphone 5 lunch so when iphone 6 comes out with a larger display than what the F* you expect ? Faster adoption...
  • Reply 3 of 33
    I'm surprised. I thought the 6 Plus was more popular than it is. Just 9.1 percent. I see them everywhere I look, a lot more than I see the 6.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    Goes to show that big screen makes iPhones more usable.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KidRock2199 View Post

I'm surprised. I thought the 6 Plus was more popular than it is. Just 9.1 percent. I see them everywhere I look, a lot more than I see the 6.

Maybe you notice them a lot because they're ginormous! I don't know how people talk on them without a headset.

• Reply 6 of 33
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KidRock2199 View Post

Gee what a surprise only 10% of the phone in use are the biggest display. I said this before and I gave credit to Google's own developer data on screen size back this up, most users do not want the huge display it a small group of people. But you had all these people claiming the bigger display is what everyone wants. I'll give the 4.7" is a good size and better then the 4" that was on the 5, but anything over 5" is too big for most people.

I see a few from time to time and I travel lots so it not like I only seeing local people and I see only a small % of large screen both Apple or any other company. Having a bigger display is nice but a pain to deal with on a daily bases

• Reply 7 of 33
    How did they expect this article to surprise anyone. Everybody and their brother wanted a bigger screen and apple gave them a bigger screen. 6 plus numbers lower than the 1st two and that's because people don't want to look like a jack a$$ holding a almost iPad mini up to their ear, that and the price. So my home screen rotates when I turn the phone and it has a little bit better camera and pixillation big whoop!!
    And the 6 plus numbers better than the 5c... Shocker, newer phone with almost twice the screen size as the 5c, and up to date with newer tech under the hood as opposed to the 5c that was running the same tech as when the 5 was launched.
    Can't wait till next year when the so called iPhone 7 comes out and then we have to hear the "7" adoption was much faster than the adoption to the 6s.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    benjer wrote: »

Maybe you notice them a lot because they're ginormous! I don't know how people talk on them without a headset.

Haha!! That could very well be!!
  • Reply 9 of 33
    harry wild wrote: »
    Will Apple upgrade the 6S screen resolution to at least HD to that of the Plus flagship?
    Calling the iPhone 6 Plus the flagship? That's a pretty big limb to go out on.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Gee what a surprise only 10% of the phone in use are the biggest display. I said this before and I gave credit to Google's own developer data on screen size back this up, most users do not want the huge display it a small group of people. But you had all these people claiming the bigger display is what everyone wants. I'll give the 4.7" is a good size and better then the 4" that was on the 5, but anything over 5" is too big for most people.

I see a few from time to time and I travel lots so it not like I only seeing local people and I see only a small % of large screen both Apple or any other company. Having a bigger display is nice but a pain to deal with on a daily bases

These numbers bode well for continuation of a 4" model. Personally, the Plus looks just as ridiculous as all those Android phones did before Apple came out with their own. I see people wearing them on their arms at the gym! If Apple doesn't offer me a new 4" choice by the 7, I will reluctantly upgrade to the next smallest phone -- and if so, hopefully by then the overall dimensions of the phone will shrink, if not the display itself.

• Reply 11 of 33
    Calling the iPhone 6 Plus Apple's flagship is a pretty big limb to go out on.
  • Reply 12 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

The other take on this is that this is 10% that would have switched (or had switched and came back) to phabletdroid phones.

10% of 150Mill is 15Mill which is what... 40% Gross profit on a $700 sale... 4.2BILLION dollars in profit in less than a year.

It's a 10% I'd fight for.

I'm was at first amazed the 4s is still in 9% range... then I remembered.  My work has 400 deployed as glorified pagers.  This is why Apple had to keep the 4s supported under iOS for this long.

• Reply 13 of 33
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    The screen size was obviously a big factor in reasoning for upgrades.

However I think one of the largest reasons was the design change.

The iPhone 5s and below resembled the iPhone 4. The iPhone 6 was the first major redesign, purely in terms of looks since the iPhone 4.
  • Reply 14 of 33

They will upgrade their UI to TouchWiz, and start chasing specs and cheating on benchmarks.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    vision33r wrote: »
    Goes to show that big screen makes iPhones more usable.

But there is also a sweet spot. The 6 Plus isn't it, at least in according to this survey.
  • Reply 16 of 33

Why? The human eye can't tell the diff anyway. Why add more drain to the battery for no real value?
  • Reply 17 of 33
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjer View Post

The natural way for the larger screens is put it on speaker and hold the thing in front of you. Whether doing FaceTime/Skype or just voice. For me even the smaller slabs (3G onward) felt more natural that way than holding them up to my ear. I left off that with my RAzR folder.

Granted calling in public would be even more of a problem.

• Reply 18 of 33
    I'm surprised only 10% for 6 Plus. I bought the 6 Plus has happy I did. Using a smaller model would seem just weird.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    dugbugdugbug Posts: 283member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

you can't see the pixels on the 6, why drain battery for something that offers no benefit?  I have never understood the lack of a system view on this matter.

• Reply 20 of 33
    mac_128 wrote: »

These numbers bode well for continuation of a 4" model. Personally, the Plus looks just as ridiculous as all those Android phones did before Apple came out with their own. I see people wearing them on their arms at the gym! If Apple doesn't offer me a new 4" choice by the 7, I will reluctantly upgrade to the next smallest phone -- and if so, hopefully by then the overall dimensions of the phone will shrink, if not the display itself.

You want small? Talk to the ?watch, Dick Tracy.