Verizon to begin testing 5G wireless network in 2016

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Verizon will start field trials of 5G cellular technology sometime in 2016, the carrier announced on Tuesday, paving the way for a network could potentially eclipse 4G LTE and many landline Internet connections.

Assuming peak performance, 5G throughput could hit up to 50 times that of LTE with lag under 10 milliseconds, Verizon said. The company is currently establishing 5G "sandboxes" at centers in Waltham, Mass. and San Francisco.

Verizon further claimed that while 5G is typically expected go live in the U.S. sometime after 2020, the carrier is "accelerating the expected rate of innovation." It did not suggest how much sooner a launch might happen.

In any event, 5G adoption may take some time. There is no ratified standard for the technology and even once one is established, hardware vendors will need to make compatible devices, and carriers like Verizon could take years to build out networks. In 2015 many American carriers are still working on LTE coverage, well after the first networks turned on.

In the meantime LTE still has some room to grow, since many networks and devices aren't anywhere near the peak of the technology. With LTE Advanced, downloads can theoretically be as fast as 1 gigabit per second.

The iPhone 6 and 6 Plus only support speeds up to 150 megabits per second. That could potentially change on Wednesday with the announcement of new iPhones.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Is it safe to assume that "5G" will be defined as "actually meeting the ITU's requirements for 4G"?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Is it safe to assume that "5G" will be defined as "actually meeting the ITU's requirements for 4G"?
    More likely to be set to some arbitrary standard like "Capable of N Mbps" like they did to 4G, rather than based on actual technology.

Hope they're not doing the 5G equivalent of WiMAX.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    anome wrote: »
    More likely to be set to some arbitrary standard like "Capable of N Mbps" like they did to 4G, rather than based on actual technology.
    I know, that's what I was getting at. 4G was supposed to be 1 Gbps, and our "4G" LTE networks still aren't capable of that (LTE-Advanced is, but is that actually deployed anywhere yet?).

It would be hilarious to me if, as soon as they actually end up something that meets the definition of 4G, they start calling it 5G. LTE-Advanced is just about ready to be deployed, which is why this is making me wonder if that's what they're talking about (given the dearth of details in the actual article).
    Hope they're not doing the 5G equivalent of WiMAX.
    Me too. They did see the light with LTE, so hopefully they're sticking with the standard from now on, but you never know with Verizon. They do like to lock things down, and using weird proprietary stuff makes it way easier to do that.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    I know, that's what I was getting at. 4G was supposed to be 1 Gbps, and our "4G" LTE networks still aren't capable of that (LTE-Advanced is, but is that actually deployed anywhere yet?).

1 gbps is only the theoretical maximum speed of the standard. It isn't the speed at which all customers have to be given service at at all times.
  • Reply 5 of 19

Until Verizon lowers their prices substantially and offer an unlimited plan they won't get my business even if they're running a 10g network. I'll stick with my 4g T-Mobile network until then.

• Reply 6 of 19

Mobile networks won't replace anything until the carriers remove provide reasonably priced plans with realistic data caps. Right now, faster mobile networks simply mean that you can theoretically blow through your monthly data cap faster.

Home broadband service might no longer have much of a speed advantage. But, the 150 GB to 250 GB data caps with typical residential cable, DSL, or fiber plans far eclipse what mobile plans provide.

• Reply 7 of 19
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

No, I know you are reffering to 4G as bring 1Gbps, that is LTE-A . The 5G here is more like the original 4.5G ( not that is such thing)
  • Reply 8 of 19
    I'd bet my money on this solution as it's adaptable to future standards and is our best bet for limited and congested spectrum.

http://www.artemis.com
  • Reply 9 of 19
    timmyman wrote: »
    1 gbps is only the theoretical maximum speed of the standard. It isn't the speed at which all customers have to be given service at at all times.
    Right, but LTE (other than LTE-A) doesn't have a theoretical maximum anywhere near 1 Gbps, which it's supposed to in order to meet the ITU's definition of 4G.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Me to in no way consider leaving T Mobile.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Durandal1707 View Post

Right, but LTE (other than LTE-A) doesn't have a theoretical maximum anywhere near 1 Gbps, which it's supposed to in order to meet the ITU's definition of 4G.

The important part of the original definition of 4G was a fully packet-switched network. VOIP still seems to be a pipe dream for most networks sadly.

• Reply 12 of 19
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Instead of debating meeting certain fluid standards or how much more speed, debate what good is faster speed when your once unlimited mobile data plan has turned into limited. With faster speed, we will consume more data and pay more. So, unless at similar cost if we can get more data because the network able to serve more people in less time than worth more benefits otherwise current 4GLTE is fine, just expand coverage.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    LTE is plenty fast enough for media streaming, downloads, etc.
    Things like App downloads are more limited by things like speed of Flash memory, digital signature checking, etc.
    Wouldn't know what to do with more speed short of tethering which is prohibitively expensive...
  • Reply 14 of 19
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I'll join the chorus of those scoffing at these numbers. Real world speeds are obviously much slower, and that's ignoring the build-out time and coverage issues. My Verizon FioS doesn't even approach 150mbps. And my phone? I just speed tested my AT&T LTE in a pretty strong area on an iPhone 6. 10/75 down/4.81 up. I've gotten 20mpbs before, and maybe touched 30 if I recall. That means my real world speeds are 5 times slower (at best) than the theoretical/technical max. I guess 5G will run a 200mbps max when it's deployed.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I spent Labor Day Weekend at the new Marriott across the street from Disneyland and had to suffer with 1 or no bars from AT&T all weekend! How about we just get some freaking uniform blanket coverage instead of insanely faster speeds that no one really needs right now?
  • Reply 16 of 19
    richl wrote: »
    The important part of the original definition of 4G was a fully packet-switched network. VOIP still seems to be a pipe dream for most networks sadly.
    LTE with VoLTE is fully packet-switched, isn't it? My understanding is that VoLTE is based on IMS, using the data connection, same as T-Mobile's Wi-Fi Calling (and it can even hand off to and from WFC).
  • Reply 17 of 19
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    richl wrote: »
    This was my point. The original specification was for packet switching, and a number of other technological advances from 3G, but it was later revised to be simply a speed specification. (My memory is that it was actually 100Mbps, not 1Gbps) Changing to a speed specification allowed for some carriers to sell HSPA+ as 4G.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    5G has proven to cause cancer. Repression of speech at the 5G rollout. Please watch this video. The producers of this system are fully aware of the risks for cancer.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    5G has proven to cause cancer. Repression of speech at the 5G rollout. Please watch this video. The producers of this system are fully aware of the risks for cancer.
    Wikipedia is garbage at the best of times, but this section in particular is not incorrect.