Discover cards to support Apple Pay on Sept. 16 with 10% cash-back offer

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Discover on Wednesday officially announced it will begin supporting Apple Pay on Sept. 16, saying that for a limited time customers who use Apple's touchless payments service can earn an extra ten percent Cashback Bonus.

Discover cardholders living in the U.S. who use Apple Pay will have until the end of the year to earn ten percent cash back on up to $10,000 of in-store purchases. Those with Discover it Miles, Miles and Escape cards can also take advantage of the promotion by earning an extra ten miles per dollar, up to the same $10,000 cap.

"We want to encourage new and existing Discover cardmembers to add their Discover card to Apple Pay with a few simple clicks using our mobile app, take advantage of this 10% Cashback Bonus, and experience the ease and convenience of using Apple Pay," said Heather Roche, vice president of rewards at Discover.

Word of Discover's acceptance of Apple Pay came in April when the company announced a deal had been struck with Apple to bring its card processing services to compatible devices. Discover is the last of America's big-four credit card providers to join up with Apple after Visa, MasterCard and American Express signed on as launch partners.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20

Good. And that's a decent financial incentive for users also.

• Reply 2 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    I think there's a non-Apple related reason for the 16th to be the roll-out date

[SIZE=0]*Android Pay going live on the 16th[/SIZE]

And I was wrong. Android Pay is live.
  • Reply 3 of 20

Dang, why couldn't they have added Discover earlier.  Now I won't be able to order my wife's iPhone 6s and pay for it with my Discover and Apple Pay and get 10% back.  

Maybe Discover has held off on this on purpose, so they aren't giving out $65 or more in cash back to millions of people pre-ordering new iPhones.

• Reply 4 of 20
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Yay. Sign me up.
  • Reply 5 of 20

Maybe Discover has held off on this on purpose, so they aren't giving out $65 or more in cash back to millions of people pre-ordering new iPhones.

They are offering this until the end of the year, and for purchases up to $10,000. iPad pro is not out until November. AppleTV, October. And you can surely hold off until the offer becomes available to pre-order your new iPhone?

I will definitely save quite a bit, since I plan to get the 128gb iPad Pro + Pencil, the higher end AppleTV, and the 128gb rose gold 6s (which, for the first time, I will not get up in the middle of the night to preorder).
  • Reply 6 of 20
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    At long last!

Discover is my main card, with best rewards usually, but I've used it less since my Visa had ApplePay. Dilemma solved soon!
  • Reply 6 of 20
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    At long last!

Discover is my main card, with best rewards usually, but I've used it less since my Visa had ApplePay. Dilemma solved soon!
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Cool.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

They are offering this until the end of the year, and for purchases up to $10,000. iPad pro is not out until November. AppleTV, October. And you can surely hold off until the offer becomes available to pre-order your new iPhone?

I will definitely save quite a bit, since I plan to get the 128gb iPad Pro + Pencil, the higher end AppleTV, and the 128gb rose gold 6s (which, for the first time, I will not get up in the middle of the night to preorder).

I see that they say "in-store purchases", so you'll have to buy these in person.  But perhaps you can still pre-order the iPhone for in-store pickup?

• Reply 10 of 20
    Great, but let's add a third option for this secure payment that isn't either card present or card not present and give retailers a permanent drop in their costs to help get therm to add support since you'll be saving countless billions from less fraud once this become common.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    normm wrote: »
    [CONTENTEMBED=/t/188124/discover-cards-to-support-apple-pay-on-sept-16-with-10-cash-back-offer#post_2773313 layout=inline]<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Quote:</span>
    [/CONTENTEMBED]

I see that they say "in-store purchases", so you'll have to buy these in person.  But perhaps you can still pre-order the iPhone for in-store pickup?

Good points.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Discover is the BEST! Hot damn!
  • Reply 13 of 20

Nice, that's a fair bit of money. And it might make up for having to go a bit out of my way to use it at a supporting retailer, too.

• Reply 14 of 20
    Anyone looking to signup for a discover card and get a signup bonus as well, use this link (doubled to $100) http://bit.ly/1Q2lapp
  • Reply 15 of 20
    I'm so doing this and ordering a new iPhone and Apple TV, and getting a nice chunk of $$$ back. I don't mind waiting if I have to ????
  • Reply 16 of 20
    normm wrote: »

In store pick-up charges through Apple.com and acts like an online purchase. I used all the time with discover and get 5% back on all Apple Purchases...store never touches your card.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnb0529 View Post

In store pick-up charges through Apple.com and acts like an online purchase. I used all the time with discover and get 5% back on all Apple Purchases...store never touches your card.

How were you getting 5% back on Apple purchases?  Was that a limited-time promotion?  I thought Discover typically paid just 1% back, but 5% on rotating categories.  Thanks in advance for your reply.

• Reply 18 of 20
    Discover offers "merchant specific deals" in addition to th 1% cash back and quarterly programs. Apple's promotion along with many other merchants are on Discover's website or easily accessible via the Discover app. Look under "earn cash back bonus" then "Discover Deals" and all the participating merchants and the offers are listed. I too shop online and pick up in store to receive the additional cash back bonus - not only with Apple but many many merchants. Hope this helps.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

If you wait until the 16th to pre-order you probably won't be getting it until late October, that's why I don't want to wait.  My anniversary is Oct 9 and I was hoping to give my wife the phone then.