Apple issues OS X 10.11 El Capitan GM Candidate to developers and public beta testers

Posted:
in macOS edited October 2015
Apple on Wednesday released a golden master candidate for its upcoming OS X 10.11 El Capitan Mac operating system to both developers and members of its public beta program, foreshadowing a wide launch expected at the end of September.

As a golden master release, the latest El Capitan build is expected to be a final or near final software version ready for mass consumption. Apple earlier today seeded GM build 15A282c to developers before pulling it from the Developer Portal, saying a correct version would be "coming soon."

Along with the developers, Apple informed Beta Software Program participants that they too can download the first GM Candidate after months of testing. In an email, the company thanks those who provided feedback and usage data over the development process before issuing instructions on download protocol. Members of the public beta program will find the GM Candidate in the purchased section of the Mac App Store. Clicking on the download button will download and automatically launch an installer.

Today's GM Candidate comes just over one week after Apple issued the sixth public beta build to testers alongside an eighth version for developers in August.

Apple is expected to launch El Capitan as a free update for Mac owners on Sept. 30.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35

Downloading now.

• Reply 2 of 35
    September 30th is the release date for El Capitan.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    I got the notification and I never even installed it. I'm enrolled for the iOS betas.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Here's to hoping refreshed iMacs with Skylake are in the docket soon. Perhaps they are waiting for the El Cap release.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I’m getting more and more cynical. El Capitan will probably be the most tested OS X release in the history of the company. Developer and public betas have been plentiful and timely.

But on the day of official release is there ANY doubt that the usual suspects will be out in force declaring it “not ready for prime time,” “a complete disaster,” “unusable,” and lamenting that Apple’s QA has gone down the tubes while solemnly stating that Steve would never have allowed this to be released? You know it, I know it, any sane person knows that these idiots will be the first to condemn El Capitan. I’m really starting to hate these types and will have a hard time not accruing forum infractions for ad hominem attacks. I expect to be banned in short order on the day of release. 

• Reply 6 of 35
    I imagine the update is soon. Rec'd update for Kindle, today, for El Capitan compatibility.
  • Reply 7 of 35
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

But on the day of official release is there ANY doubt that the usual suspects will be out in force declaring it “not ready for prime time,” “a complete disaster,” “unusable,” and lamenting that Apple’s QA has gone down the tubes while solemnly stating that Steve would never have allowed this to be released?

We’re dealing with paid shills. There’s no concept of reason or logic applicable here. They follow the big M (C, really), and until that runs out, they don’t care.

• Reply 8 of 35
    Just checked the purchased tab as suggested in the email from Apple and it indicated the GM has already been downloaded on July 9! Anybody else seen this as well? How to download the GM now?
  • Reply 9 of 35
    zabazaba Posts: 226member
    I can't wait for the official release. The Yosemite upgrade was a massive improvement on Mavericks, for all the right reasons. From the demos I'm loving where they are headed with this. Blown away by ios9 on iPhone 6s yesterday. Apple TV looks amazing. New iPad pro and pencil wow! Well done Apple, can't wait for my 6s. (Still on 4s, been waiting for this for years).
  • Reply 10 of 35

Yes even i have the same issue. Is there any way to redownload it?

• Reply 11 of 35

Remove your previous download of El Capitan in /Applications then close and re-open App Store.

• Reply 12 of 35
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    Just installed it, I tried the beta a while back on another drive and it looked great, now I've taken the plunge with the GM. The update was flawless and everything seems okay. Took the usual 20 mins unlike when I updated a laptop to win 10, from 8.1 which took most of the afternoon.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    lwiolwio Posts: 110member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleMinded View Post

Just checked the purchased tab as suggested in the email from Apple and it indicated the GM has already been downloaded on July 9! Anybody else seen this as well? How to download the GM now?

On mine OS X EL Capitan GM Candidate dated 13th July, with a download button.

• Reply 14 of 35
    I checked again but still no download option for me no will send feedback to apple or simply wait for the public release. Latest beta is working fine for me anyway
  • Reply 15 of 35

Yeah mine is still telling me Version 8 from 8/31 is the current version. Weird.

• Reply 16 of 35
    I downloaded the GM Candidate but my computer failed to restart. I had to force restart it, and the install didn't continue. Now when I go to the purchased tab in the app store GM Candidate says "Downloaded" but I have no way of continuing the installation. Where can I find the installation package?
  • Reply 17 of 35

Downloaded mine yesterday, just finished installing it works great ;)

• Reply 18 of 35

I finally got to update. None of the Public Betas installed correctly since Beta 3. I had to revert to a TM backup each time after 3 (sent bug reports each time). The GM installed perfectly. 

• Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Lwio View Post

On mine OS X EL Capitan GM Candidate dated 13th July, with a download button.

July 9th here, and > 6GB. Otherwise the same.

• Reply 20 of 35
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Interesting, here it installed 15A282b not 15A282c, and even less some version newer than the latter given that the article claims that even the "c" was pulled...
    ...hm...