AT&T shifts data cap for grandfathered 'unlimited' plans from 5GB to 22GB

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
AT&T on Wednesday changed the LTE data cap for its grandfathered "unlimited" data plans, improving the ceiling from 5 to 22 gigabytes of data before throttling kicks in.

The U.S. carrier noted that even once the cap is hit, subscribers will only experience throttling "when the customer is using his or her device at times and in areas where there is network congestion and only for the remainder of the current billing cycle." Prior to May, throttling was imposed across the board for anyone over 5 gigabytes.

The change may be another response to legal actions by both the Federal Communications Commission and the Federal Trade Commission. AT&T is still fighting a $100 million fine from the FCC, which accused it of using misleading statements about its unlimited plans. The FTC is suing for similar reasons, and if successful, some of the damages should be returned to affected AT&T customers.

Sprint and Verizon ended their hard limits on unlimited users earlier this year. Those carriers now throttle traffic only based on network congestion, regardless of a person's data plan. AT&T's new policy is most similar to T-Mobile, which has a 21 gigabyte cap and likewise throttles only when congestion is a problem.

Under the influence of Apple, AT&T used unlimited data as a way of attracting shoppers to the first-generation iPhone. Both AT&T and Verizon have veered away from unlimited plans in recent times, however, in order to avoid spending more on network infrastructure.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    About time. Sick of receiving the threatening text messages telling me I was about to hit the arbitrary 5GB "cap."

I can't imagine getting anywhere close to the new "cap," so this is a win. However, my plan to run a web server from my iPhone now looks more promising...
  • Reply 2 of 58
    This is outstanding news.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

About time. Sick of receiving the threatening text messages telling me I was about to hit the arbitrary 5GB "cap."

I can't imagine getting anywhere close to the new "cap," so this is a win. However, my plan to run a web server from my iPhone now looks more promising...

lol - iOS 9 & the 9.1 Beta are currently being reported as jail-breakable. web server, here you come! 

• Reply 4 of 58
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

Somehow I don't think 22GB is "unlimited" either...

• Reply 5 of 58

Great!  Now if only they'd ship the 6S+ on launch day like everyone else instead of saying "we're not shipping any 6S+'s until October 16th" like I was just told by customer service, I'd be happy as a peach!

• Reply 6 of 58
    The real question is when the unlimited users will be allowed to tether their phones? After the FCC ruled that ISPs can't restrict customers based on the type of online activity, I (stupidly) had my hopes up...
  • Reply 7 of 58

I can guarantee you the answer is no.

• Reply 8 of 58
    Nice. It's about time.
  • Reply 9 of 58

How about bringing back those unlimited plans?

• Reply 10 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

Hand 1: "Unlimited" quantity.

The quantity has always been and continues to be unlimited.

Hand 2: "Unlimited" speed.

Speeds are advertised as "up to". I don't remember ever seeing guaranteed minimum speed.

• Reply 11 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by swimmerguyman View Post

The real question is when the unlimited users will be allowed to tether their phones? After the FCC ruled that ISPs can't restrict customers based on the type of online activity, I (stupidly) had my hopes up...

me too - even if they limited the tether to an even smaller amount, id take that, since they are still taking away my unlimited and replacing it with 22gb, 

• Reply 12 of 58
    Dear AT&T,
    As long as there is a limit, it's not really "Unlimited". Furthermore, if no one has hit the 20GB limit, why not just remove it altogether?
  • Reply 13 of 58
    icoco3 wrote: »

Yeah, I hear you. But it might not be an issue. They won't throttle you unless there is local congestion at the time you go over 22GB for the current billing period. For me, that's good enough. Throttling speed might make Skype or FaceTime crappy, but you'll still have email, iMessage, Safari, and low-bitrate streaming radio.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

I'm still fortunate to have the unlimited grandfathered plan.  Even with that, I still use WiFi as much as possible and my recent monthly usage was in the 300MB range.  

Using 22GB in one month (to me) on a phone is insane.  What exactly do these people do on their devices to go through that much data in one month?  It's non-stop Netflix Videos, youtube, probably even using it as their primary internet hotspot and connecting everything through it?  What gives?

• Reply 15 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'm still fortunate to have the unlimited grandfathered plan.  Even with that, I still use WiFi as much as possible and my recent monthly usage was in the 300MB range.  

Using 22GB in one month (to me) on a phone is insane.  What exactly do these people do on their devices to go through that much data in one month?  It's non-stop Netflix Videos, youtube, probably even using it as their primary internet hotspot and connecting everything through it?  What gives?

i too use wifi much of the time, and often I'm below 1GB on my unlimited plan. My main concern is that if they now say 22GB, no one complains because thats very high, but then they could put to 3gb or lower in the future, because customers have 'accepted' unlimited is limited...

• Reply 16 of 58
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

Dear AT&T,

As long as there is a limit, it's not really "Unlimited". Furthermore, if no one has hit the 20GB limit, why not just remove it altogether?

+1

• Reply 17 of 58
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

i too use wifi much of the time, and often I'm below 1GB on my unlimited plan. My main concern is that if they now say 22GB, no one complains because thats very high, but then they could put to 3gb or lower in the future, because customers have 'accepted' unlimited is limited...

That seems to be two different issues: at 22GB of an unlimited plan they don't charge more or cut you off, they just throttle the network performance based on overall network workload while the "3GB" plans have charges for anything more than that.

• Reply 18 of 58
    sflocal wrote: »

As a commuter who uses Apple Music and has an occasional WiFi issue where I stream Netflix over cellular, I can say that hitting 10+ GB a month is doable without intentionally trying to use a lot of data.

Now if I was *really* trying to use data, I imagine that I could cross 100GB easily. You'd be amazed how much data downloading apps can use!
  • Reply 19 of 58
    My only problem with ATT is they won't let Apple sell the renewed 2 year contract. They're forcing us to buy from them directly for that specific plan.

I have spent a combined total of 11 hours on the phone with senior VPs complaining of this situation. Reminding them that most people won't find out until after standing in line at the Apple Store for 8 hours - "oh sorry they pulled that you have to go stand in the ATT line now" which 2 minutes after midnight their site said 3rd week in October for delivery. WTF?

I can get it on day one from Apple no problem but ATT is making me wait till October because they won't let Apple sell that plan anymore? They got my business, they don't have the right to tell me where I have to buy my product from.

I'm going to month to month - you still get to keep your grandfathered plan by the way... But I'm going to go with Apple upgrade program. Every year att adds some new "screw you" to their loyal long term 'been-with-them-since-iPhone-1" customers. Enough is enough. Their LTE is 50 to 80mbps here in Phoenix versus Verizon's 1.8mbps LTE and Sprints 2.89mbps LTE, so leaving is NOT an option but where I buy it is and thank you to apple for stepping in and making this possible to upgrade every year with no questions asked!
  • Reply 20 of 58
    Yay for me.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/62900/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]

Only sometimes have I felt the throttling but all in all it's pretty smooth sailing usually. Not sure how I use this much as I don't really do Netflix or YouTube on my phone. I don't watch many videos in safari, either. I mostly go on Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat only so I guess they eat most of my data. If I didn't have unlimited I would definitely monitor it more but alas it doesn't really affect my usage.