Apple wins key patent appeal vs. Samsung, could bar features from future Galaxy devices

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
A federal appeals court has ruled that Apple has the right to block rival Samsung from using its patented inventions in its own handsets, a decision that could have major consequences for future products from the South Korean electronics maker.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit ruled on Thursday that Apple is entitled to blocking competitors from using its intellectual property. The decision was first reported by Bloomberg

"The right to exclude competitors from using one's property rights is important," the Federal Circuit's decision reads. "And the right to maintain exclusivity --?a hallmark and crucial guarantee of patents rights deriving from the Constitution itself -- is likewise important."

Thursday's decision is so important that Samsung had the backing of a number of major players in the tech space, including Google, HTC, LG, and Rackspace. Apple nevertheless prevailed in its appeal, in a split 2-1 decision.

Apple was prompted to file an appeal because in the original suit, U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh determined that damages and licensing fees paid by Samsung were enough for its illegal patent infringement. The iPhone maker, however, felt it should have the ability to block the use of certain inventions --?a stance the appeals court agreed with.

"This is not a case where the public would be deprived of Samsung's products," the Federal Circuit said. "Apple does not seek to enjoin the sale of lifesaving drugs, but to prevent Samsung from profiting from the unauthorized use of infringing features in its cellphones and tablets."

Apple and Samsung agreed to settle all non-U.S. patent disputes last year, leaving the California cases open.

The final judgment in the first Apple v. Samsung jury trial ended in an initial $1.05 billion win for Apple. That number was later whittled down to $929 million due to juror error and appeal, and the sum was later again reduced to $400 million.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    Ok... what patents and inventions in particular?
  • Reply 2 of 47

Google?

• Reply 3 of 47
    Duh! Why did this take so fk'n long? What a concept...That patents should actually protect your IP! Judge Kohl is a hack who should be impeached.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    well.. off to the appeal, samsung?
  • Reply 5 of 47
    While I'm at it, download an ad blocker for iOS 9! I just downloaded Crystal and now AI actually loads quickly, and doesn't go through all the BS refreshes like it does without a blocker. IT IS MUCH FASTER! AI's technical foundation is a total POS! ...but now problem solved.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondtheTech View Post

That's... still being sorted out. Patents continue to get thrown out, which is (partially) why Samsung's damages have been reduced so significantly. Things got even murkier in August when the USPTO threw out a key iPhone design patent (No. D618,677).

• Reply 7 of 47
    Which ad blocker?
  • Reply 8 of 47
    dnd0ps wrote: »
    Which ad blocker?

Crystal in the App Store - 99cents!
  • Reply 9 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Samsung will never give up.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    Justice. You shouldn't be able to profit from theft.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dnd0ps View Post

Which ad blocker?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

How much will you be willing to pay to be a member here and have the ability to post comments? $10/mo? I also plan to install ad blockers on my iOS devices and El Capitan when it is released and block the entire AI domain. In fact let’s all do it and see how long it takes before AI starts begging for money. For experimental purposes only of course.

• Reply 12 of 47
    Hooray! Now pick up your broken teeth and GTFO Samsung! ????????
  • Reply 13 of 47
    "Apple wins key patent appeal vs. Samsung, could bar features".

Which features?
  • Reply 14 of 47

As these weren't FRAND patents, I never understood why it was even in question. Why did this take so long?

The horse has left the barn in a lot of ways, but on principal this strikes me as the correct decision. 

• Reply 15 of 47
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Justice. You shouldn't be able to profit from theft.

That’s not how the world works and never will. It’s why we hold onto our religious beliefs and hope for justice in the afterlife cause it ain’t gonna happen on this globe any time soon.

• Reply 16 of 47
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    dnd0ps wrote: »
    Which ad blocker?

Peace by Marco Arment:
    https://appsto.re/us/URfD9.i
  • Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

How much will you be willing to pay to be a member here and have the ability to post comments? $10/mo? I also plan to install ad blockers on my iOS devices and El Capitan when it is released and block the entire AI domain. In fact let’s all do it and see how long it takes before AI starts begging for money. For experimental purposes only of course.

Download the AI app.  There is nothing stopping from AI having ads within its app.  I think this the angle Apple is trying to push.

• Reply 18 of 47
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    freerange wrote: »

Peace would appear to be even better, but it's three dollars, I believe.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondtheTech View Post

The Bloomberg article refers to three "inventions" : Apple’s slide-to-unlock, autocorrect and quicklinks features.  I don't think however these are very strong patents.  Slide-to-Unlock for instance has been invalidated pretty much everywhere, but the US.  But, with the recent Alice vs CLS Bank ruling, it's fairly safe to say the utility patent is pretty much dead at this point. 

• Reply 20 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Are there 2 versions? I only see one in the App Store. The one I downloaded yesterday was free.