iPad Pro + MacOS X app

zozo
Posted:
in iPad edited September 2015

subject kinda says it all... 

With the iPad Pro we have a Surface-like product. Except no possibility of choosing a true desktop environment (programming, true content creation, etc) and the use of a mouse. 

What if.. Apple offered a MacOS X app that you launch like any other app, but would effectively be MacOS X as we know and love... and when you close it, boom, back to iOS.

If that were to ever happen, I'd buy one in an instant. And I think half of the corporate world would follow too. 

What ya say the odds of this ever happening? 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    zo wrote: »
    subject kinda says it all... 

With the iPad Pro we have a Surface-like product. Except no possibility of choosing a true desktop environment (programming, true content creation, etc) and the use of a mouse. 

What if.. Apple offered a MacOS X app that you launch like any other app, but would effectively be MacOS X as we know and love... and when you close it, boom, back to iOS.

If that were to ever happen, I'd buy one in an instant. And I think half of the corporate world would follow too. 

What ya say the odds of this ever happening? 

If you want a half-assed laptop computer, the Surface is there for you.
  • Reply 2 of 6

OS X is built for a cursor and a single point of input. It’s worthless on touchscreens.

OS XI will fix that, but we’re roughly five years out.

• Reply 3 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member

the Pro, as I'd envision it, would remain an iOS device... but when you need a proper OS, you'd launch the MacOS X "app", it would go boot up (like a virtual machine), and you'd likely use external input devices (keyboard/mouse... and eventually with a USB-C port, will have full external device possibilities). As soon as you close the "OS X app", you'd be in iOS as usual and use the proper touch interface. 

Best of both worlds. 

I mean, really, just envision a MacBook without the keyboard and the USB-C port on the screen bevel. 

We're already half way there

• Reply 4 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    zo wrote: »
    the Pro, as I'd envision it, would remain an iOS device... but when you need a proper OS, you'd launch the MacOS X "app", it would go boot up (like a virtual machine), and you'd likely use external input devices (keyboard/mouse... and eventually with a USB-C port, will have full external device possibilities). As soon as you close the "OS X app", you'd be in iOS as usual and use the proper touch interface. 

Best of both worlds. 

I mean, really, just envision a MacBook without the keyboard and the USB-C port on the screen bevel. 

We're already half way there
    There is no "best of both worlds." Underneath OS X and iOS are essentially the same Unix-based OS. Their UIs are optimized for their respective functions. You may rest assured that Apple has built devices with the combined functions of Macs and iOS devices and that it has tested them nine ways to Sunday. It chose to go with separate interfaces. OS X is optimized WIMP interfaces. iOS is optimized for multi-touch.

Unlike Surface and Surface Pro, both Apple interfaces are growing in popularity. Think about it this way:

OS X is a thoroughbred.
    iOS is a greyhound.
    Combining the two gets you a camel.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

OS X is a thoroughbred.

iOS is a greyhound.

Combining the two gets you a camel.

This.

The people that still don't understand this need their internet taken away.

You cannot make a touchscreen tablet product work well with a desktop OS. No one has ever done it. Several have tried. All those products suck, repeat, SUCK horribly.

I want an iPad Pro as my on-the-go machine. Retina iMac stays on the desk. No I'm not going to be able to create graphics and websites the way I can on the Mac, but I never could without a mouse. I can't even do it with a trackpad. I need a mouse to create and design the way I do. Period. There is nothing I can do that work on besides a desktop computer with a mouse. So, since even a MacBook is not going to help me there...I might as well have an iPad Pro.

Plus, there are VPN and SSH clients for iPad...so as long as I have a big enough screen and a decent keyboard..I can still work on servers and stuff.

• Reply 6 of 6
    zozo Posts: 3,117member

I'm quite partial to llamas, so that's close enough.

Jokes aside, I understand what you mean, but... given the size of the iPad Pro, it can easily be a laptop too

The iPad Pro, on its own with just iOS will never give you the flexibility of MacOS X... and yet they're desperately trying to pitch it as the ultimate portable creation device. That's just not gonna happen. Aside from the niche designers that use a stylus and a few people that use iPads as a notepad.

ok, I'm gonna stop beating this dead horse, I just think that it would be a killer product/offer on Apple's part. Maybe one day when USB-C will be offered on iDevices this could be a possibility