Photos reveal iPhone 6s packaging variants as Apple preps orders for shipment

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Reportedly leaked photos out of the Far East show Apple is mixing things up for its iPhone 6s release with at least four different box art designs featuring colorful Betta fish. In related news, the company also started charging customer credit cards in preparation of next week's launch.

Seen in pictures sent to Spanish language blog iPhoneros.com, Apple's iPhone 6s packages are emblazoned with a front-on view of the handset displaying one of four Betta fish shots borrowed from iOS 9's device-specific animated backgrounds.

It appears Apple is reverting to a pre-iPhone 6 aesthetic that matches box art with device color, but this year goes one step further by incorporating custom onscreen graphics instead of the generic iOS home screen.

Packages for Space Gray iPhone 6s models get a dark blue Betta with red fins, silver versions get a blue fish with turquoise fins, gold edition net a blue fish with mustard yellow fins and rose gold models feature a salmon-colored Betta. The leaked photos also suggest box artwork is embossed, a design detail introduced with last year's iPhone 6 boxes.

The artwork can be throughout Apple's iPhone 6s product page and Web gallery, while the company's preorder selection webpage reveals device-specific versions.

In related iPhone 6s news, Apple is starting to charge preorder customers' credit cards as it prepares to ship out the first batch of launch day units for release on Sept. 25. Many AppleInsider readers have confirmed charges, though some say their Apple accounts are not reflecting a change in order status. Others, however, are showing progress from "Processing Items" to "Preparing for Shipment."

Unlike past iPhone launches that saw units ship out a week after going up for pre-sale, iPhone 6s is due to arrive two weeks after preorders kicked off last Saturday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    6.5 days to go. First time to pick up at 5th ave store. Can't wait. Apple TV next, then iPad Pro maybe.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Collect them all!

• Reply 3 of 21
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    mubaili wrote: »
    6.5 days to go. First time to pick up at 5th ave store. Can't wait. Apple TV next, then iPad Pro maybe.
    Can you go in at like 4:30 in the morning? Close the bar, grab a phone....
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Since reading this I looked at my bank account and Verizon took out the money...also went to go look at my order and it said delivery date was today. Little confusing
  • Reply 5 of 21
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member

I'm wondering with the additional week in the mix this year and the early movement, if Apple may let these deliver before the 25th.

• Reply 6 of 21
    Since I was reading this review I looked at my bank account and saw Verizon took out the money for the phone...also went and looked at the order and it shows the delivery was today so I'm a little confused
  • Reply 7 of 21
    I just checked my status with Verizon. It's a 6 plus. Says deliver by 9/18?? Wth!

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/63022/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 8 of 21
  • Reply 9 of 21
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Beautiful as always.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Originally Posted by cali View Post

Beautiful as always.

Except for last year, where we got the monochrome shaft. :p

• Reply 11 of 21
    S version is truly athe state of the art for a flagship phone.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

I'll drool at the new iPhone 6s, but still be happy I got a 5c 16gb on clear out at C$400 vs the C$900 for the 6s 16gb in Canada.

The 5c does the job for me quite well, particularly when compared to my much slower iPhone 4 I now keep as a spare.

• Reply 13 of 21
    My T-Mobile.com order shipping changed to 9/24 with overnight shipping!
  • Reply 14 of 21

Just got a notification Verizon shipped my iPhone today. 

• Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by StaceyMJ86 View Post

My T-Mobile.com order shipping changed to 9/24 with overnight shipping!

Mine too! :D

• Reply 16 of 21
    Just got a Verizon message saying my phone has shipped woohoo!!!!
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

I'll drool at the new iPhone 6s, but still be happy I got a 5c 16gb on clear out at C$400 vs the C$900 for the 6s 16gb in Canada.

The 5c does the job for me quite well, particularly when compared to my much slower iPhone 4 I now keep as a spare.

We all have our own reasons for purchasing & using the phone which we have chosen.  But I look at smartphone use much differently than you do.  My smartphone is without the doubt the device that I am guaranteed to use and depend on.. more than anything else I own.  Than even includes my car because ride my bike and/or catch the subway to work everyday.  With that much daily dependence, I have to be honest about what the true cost of the device is per day.  Since I have already agreed to sell my current 64GB 6+ to Gazelle for $466 and preordered a new 128 6s+ was $949.. that means I will pay approximately $483 to upgrade to the latest and greatest iPhone.. or about $1.32 per day over the next year.

Considering the average person unlocks their smartphone about 1500x a week or about 220+ times a day:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2783677/How-YOU-look-phone-The-average-user-picks-device-1-500-times-day.html That means that everytime I actually use my phone.. I'm paying around half a penny more for the 6S features over the year old 6.  Its an upgrade price I'll gladly pay year over year to have the absolute latest technology, best experience and most importantly fastest capabilities.   The upgraded 5MP camera on the front and 12MP camera on the back with 4K video recording was already enough reason for me to upgrade as my smartphone is the only camera I use and prefer my pictures & videos are recorded in the most resolution possible.  The additional 64GB of storage gives me much storage for recording every important moment in my life over the next year as I document my existence for myself, family, friends & future (I'm getting married next month and expect a kid in the next year).  Finally the faster processors, newest cellular/wifi radio, 3DTouch interface and 2GB of ram (double what I previously had).. mean every task on the phone will be quicker, more efficient & less frustrating with this newer phone.

There's no doubt a smartphone is a luxury.. none of us "need" one.  But having the best available phone goes SO much further to making every day just a little better, more productive & more rememberable than without it.  I have no doubt that I will continue to upgrade my iPhone once every year for the best experience.  I imagine many people are like myself, which is why you see every carrier (and Apple) now offering payment plans with the ability to upgrade to a newer device atleast once a year.  If I was truly really concerned about saving money I'd stop eating food at restaurants & quit drinking alcohol.  The money I'd save from doing those two things alone would more than enough to cover the cost of upgrading to a new iPhone every year.  

• Reply 18 of 21
    atlapple wrote: »
    Just got a notification Verizon shipped my iPhone today. 
    congrats?what's the expected delivery day mentioned in the notice? I need to go to 5th ave to pick up my reservation.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Daekwan wrote: »

We all have our own reasons for purchasing & using the phone which we have chosen.  But I look at smartphone use much differently than you do.  My smartphone is without the doubt the device that I am guaranteed to use and depend on.. more than anything else I own.  Than even includes my car because ride my bike and/or catch the subway to work everyday.  With that much daily dependence, I have to be honest about what the true cost of the device is per day.  Since I have already agreed to sell my current 64GB 6+ to Gazelle for $466 and preordered a new 128 6s+ was $949.. that means I will pay approximately $483 to upgrade to the latest and greatest iPhone.. or about $1.32 per day over the next year.

Considering the average person unlocks their smartphone about 1500x a week or about 220+ times a day:  http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2783677/How-YOU-look-phone-The-average-user-picks-device-1-500-times-day.html That means that everytime I actually use my phone.. I'm paying around half a penny more for the 6S features over the year old 6.  Its an upgrade price I'll gladly pay year over year to have the absolute latest technology, best experience and most importantly fastest capabilities.   The upgraded 5MP camera on the front and 12MP camera on the back with 4K video recording was already enough reason for me to upgrade as my smartphone is the only camera I use and prefer my pictures & videos are recorded in the most resolution possible.  The additional 64GB of storage gives me much storage for recording every important moment in my life over the next year as I document my existence for myself, family, friends & future (I'm getting married next month and expect a kid in the next year).  Finally the faster processors, newest cellular/wifi radio, 3DTouch interface and 2GB of ram (double what I previously had).. mean every task on the phone will be quicker, more efficient & less frustrating with this newer phone.

There's no doubt a smartphone is a luxury.. none of us "need" one.  But having the best available phone goes SO much further to making every day just a little better, more productive & more rememberable than without it.  I have no doubt that I will continue to upgrade my iPhone once every year for the best experience.  I imagine many people are like myself, which is why you see every carrier (and Apple) now offering payment plans with the ability to upgrade to a newer device atleast once a year.  If I was truly really concerned about saving money I'd stop eating food at restaurants & quit drinking alcohol.  The money I'd save from doing those two things alone would more than enough to cover the cost of upgrading to a new iPhone every year.  

That's how I feel as well. I do everything on my phone including sending work emails and communicate with my staff. Having the upgraded specs is well worth the money. I currently have a 64gb 6+, that I'm going to keep as backup. I sold my 64gb 6 on Swappa for $450 and am going to hold on to that money for the holiday shopping for my daughter. I've upgraded every year since the 4s so this is no different for me. The 2gb of ram and camera upgrades sold me.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mubaili View Post

congrats?what's the expected delivery day mentioned in the notice? I need to go to 5th ave to pick up my reservation.

It's still Sept 25th. Looks like there was a "future hold" put on the phone, at least that's that the FedEx site says. I'm starting to wonder if the carriers are not allowed to have the phones delivered before the release date. The iPhone right now is NJ and I'm in Georgia no way it would take until the 25th for delivery. Maybe it will come early, i'll keep checking and post if it changes. My 6s Plus right now is showing pending on  the Verizon site with a delivery date of 9/30.