Disappointment with the lack of an IPad Air update?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2015
Seriously folks the more I think about the September event the more I have to think that Apple is run by a bunch of idiots. Yes I know rude talk but they must realize that many of us have no want nor desire to purchase the big iPad. Mainly it comes down to the issue of size for me and how I use my iPad.

That usage includes carrying the machine around in a manner similar to a magazine or paperback book. The mid size iPad is simply handy enough to not be a burden and as easy to deal with as a book for recreational needs.

Now given that, there are things about the iPad Pro I like and would honestly like to see in the iPad Air(3?). The faster processor and 4 GB of RAM being part of that. However I do believe that Apple Pen support could also be useful on the midsize iPad. In fact I would like to see most of those improvements migrated to the iPad Air. I'd like to see those feature even if that meant buying a high end Air.

There was a rumor going around, one that didn't last long by the way, that Air might be upgrades sometime very early in 2016. It doesn't sound like much of a rumor but might have some reasoned support if manufacturing of the 14 nm devices is constrained.

So what is the thinking here guys? Are you frustrated at the lack of an upgrade to the iPad Air?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4

A9 shortage–>all available units must go to the iPhone–>iPad 9.7” update held off until late November when demand decreases

The problem is really just the shortage, which is still Apple’s fault.

I’m always upset that Apple doesn’t 1:1 its most modern hardware. Things that come out at the same time should have the same things in them.

• Reply 2 of 4
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    A9 shortage–>all available units must go to the iPhone–>iPad 9.7” update held off until late November when demand decreases
    I've heard that rumor but how real is it?
    The problem is really just the shortage, which is still Apple’s fault.
    If the shortage is real Apple could have done something different, like hold off all iPad updates.
    I’m always upset that Apple doesn’t 1:1 its most modern hardware. Things that come out at the same time should have the same things in them.

I'm not so concerned about a 1:1 update but rather the lack of any announced update. Honestly I would expect the "pro" to be the faster machine, but that doesn't mean ignoring the Air makes sense.

Guess we have to live with this nonsense a bit longer.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I've heard that rumor but how real is it?

If the shortage is real Apple could have done something different, like hold off all iPad updates.

I'm not so concerned about a 1:1 update but rather the lack of any announced update. Honestly I would expect the "pro" to be the faster machine, but that doesn't mean ignoring the Air makes sense.

Guess we have to live with this nonsense a bit longer.

The iPad mini is now more or less up to date so you have the top end of Pro and a gradual decrease in capability to the Mini.  The iPad lineup has gotten better not worse since there isn't an obviously gimped tablet in the lineup anymore. 

• Reply 4 of 4
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    nht wrote: »
    The iPad mini is now more or less up to date so you have the top end of Pro and a gradual decrease in capability to the Mini.  The iPad lineup has gotten better not worse since there isn't an obviously gimped tablet in the lineup anymore. 

Considering that A9X exists and that the Air did not get an update (at least not yet) I'd have to say the Air is Gimped. The performance delta between the current Air and a potential one with an A9X is pretty significant. By the way I don't expect them to sell an iPad Air with the same exact performance numbers as the coming iPad Pro, I do want the missing update that we should have gotten at the trade show for iOS.

Effectively the iPad is now year old technology which sucks if you waited to hear about a new model at the Keynote. This is why I was wondering about the rumors of an update in a few months with an A9X variant. I may very well put off an upgrade for another year if the product remains static for another year.