Apple News app scores exclusive "BIG" content from Wired as iOS 9 hits 36% adoption in 3 days

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Apple News, an ambitious news-reading app that's new to iOS 9, is already showing off exclusive original content to early adopters of the latest software for iPhones and iPad, demonstrating Apple's serious intent to woo both readers and publishers with a captivating medium for the written word.

Apple News feature by Wired

Apple News is a new app in iOS 9 that presents continuously updated news and features from "top news organizations and indie publications," allowing readers to follow specific news sources or subjects and categories ranging from business, tech, sports, fashion and politics.

Readers can explore featured content or search for news on specific events or topics; the new app then refines relevant suggestions based on the user's interests. Apple News readers can, for example, easily add AppleInsider content to their news feeds to stay up-to-date on all things Apple.

For content creators, Apple has developed a publishing system for Apple News to facilitate stylish, dynamic page layouts incorporating custom typography, galleries of images, embedded video and interactive animation. Readers can bookmark or save content for later, or share articles with others via email, Messages or social networks including Twitter and Facebook.

Apple News gets fresh content

Despite iOS 9 being only a few days old, Apple has already started lining up exclusive content, including an in-depth feature on star architect Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG) written by Andrew Rice for Wired.

The article details BIG's efforts to design the dramatic new $4 billion World Trade Center 2 skyscraper in New York City, challenged by requirements ranging from client needs (including its anchor tenant, the offices of Rupert Murdoch's 21st Century Fox and News Corp) to safety regulations (necessitating heavy bomb-resistant glass) and existing site realities (including the massive mall and transit center being built below the site by Santiago Calatrava, along with a foundation designed for an earlier skyscraper of a different design by Norman Foster).

The exclusive article, as noted by John Gruber of Daring Fireball, is only accessible to iOS 9 Apple News readers through Tuesday. Other Wired readers on the web (including those on Macs or older iPhones and iPads who haven't yet upgraded to iOS 9) are presented with a slug noting:

"This story is being previewed exclusively on Apple News until Tuesday, September 22nd. Please check this page again at that time. To view this story in the Apple News app on your iOS 9 device, follow this link: https://news.apple.com/A-oPQmJNfTyi9oHKs1xCY3w."

iOS users get fresh software

Apple's ability to entice content creators to rapidly embrace its new initiatives--and to provide content exclusives--for features such as iOS 9's new Apple News app (as well as Apple Music) is explained in part by the unprecedented speed at which the company can introduce and roll out new features to millions of users. Just three days after the launch of iOS 9, an incredible 36.7 percent have already installed it. Only 21 percent of active Android users have some version of Android 5.0 Lollipop from nearly a year ago

Just three days after the launch of iOS 9, Mixpanel reported that an incredible 36.7 percent of the installed base it monitors has already installed the new software.

In comparison, Google currently reports that only 21 percent of its active Android users have obtained some version of Android 5.0 Lollipop since it first became available nearly a year ago.

Other features ranging from Apple Pay and Touch ID authentication to Apple Maps and Passbook (now know as Wallet in iOS 9) have similarly seen rapid, enthusiastic adoption from developers and merchants seeking to reach the company's valuable demographic of iPhone and iPad users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    I don't like this at all. In a free world, access to news must not be controlled. Control always leads to abuse. This will influence my purchasing behaviour the next I buy a smartphone or tablet.

I don't understand that Apple Insider is so proud and so stupid at the same time to present this news item as "BIG", because this practice is extremely bad for AI. Apple has all the cards in hand to control its news and to sell it to the biggest advertiser/publisher in the Apple News app. AI will have to wait for 72 hours before they can publish it. The advertisers will loose interest in AI because of this.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    I think you're misinterpreting AI's use of the term "BIG". That is the name of the firm designing the World Trade Center, it is not an adjective describing the importance of the news article.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    I don't quite understand AI's own content in News. Each article lists only the opening teaser paragraph. Beyond that, to read the actual article you have to punch out (via News) to the regular AI site. I thought News would keep you inside the News app to read content in a more consistent look-and-feel across publications?
  • Reply 4 of 27
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So how does this work exactly? Is Apple paying publications like Wired to give them exclusive content for a few days?
  • Reply 5 of 27
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cropr View Post

I don't like this at all. In a free world, access to news must not be controlled. Control always leads to abuse. This will influence my purchasing behaviour the next I buy a smartphone or tablet.

I guess this depends on what you consider "news" content versus "entertainment" content. The lines are blurry and often tainted by sensationalism, shady, and inept journalism. I'd be hard pressed to claim that a story about cityscapes and building architecture is "news" in any sense of the word. It's just an entertainment story. Is any "celebrity news" ever really "news" in a public information sense? Are we concerned that Apple or a news aggregator app may be shading, filtering, or somehow altering or suppressing the cold hard facts about the Kardashians? Oh my!

The Apple News app is simply a "content delivery and presentation system" regardless of its name. It's simply Apple's answer to Flipboard. As such, it's entirely acceptable that they would try to acquire original and exclusive "content" to serve their customer base and differentiate themselves from their competitors.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the word "news" because most of the content on the plethora of so-called "news sites" and aggregation apps is mostly entertainment and fluff. The news signal-to-noise ratio is very poor and only getting worse. At least some entertainment "news" sites like The Onion do a better job of telling you upfront that they are slanting and shaping the "news" that they present for entertainment purposes. The Onion offers 10 minutes of chuckling before getting old. Other sites like CNN and Forbes use less obvious and subtle ways to shape the news that they present to make it more compelling, entertaining, or to advance their political or social biases. Few chuckles to be had there, but still lots of fluff.

There's never been a time when the phrase "you can't believe everything you read" has been more appropriate when it comes to discerning what is "news" and what is "fluff" or entertainment. And where does so called "infotainment" fit in? Maybe the best answer is that it's all infotainment. It's still up to you to be aware and apply critical thinking to stay informed, don't get too caught up in how content in any form is presented. 

• Reply 6 of 27
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

36% adoption is 3 days? Wow!

Apple needs to have efficiency, speed and battery life be tent pole features in iOS and OS X going forward, indefinitely. I've gave feedback and emailed Tim and Phil about it. This is key to enjoyment and use of both platforms.

• Reply 7 of 27
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Apple needs to have efficiency, speed and battery life be tent pole features in iOS and OS X going forward, indefinitely. I've gave feedback and emailed Tim and Phil about it. This is key to enjoyment and use of both platforms.

Battery life is fine for most people, most of the time. If you need more, buy a battery case or external battery to charge on the fly. Until there is a radical new battery technology (which isn't on the horizon) any improvement in efficiency will be countered with new features that utilize the battery. They will not and should not increase the size of the batteries and therefore the phones to accommodate a few outliers. Yes, in a world where tens of millions of iPhones are sold, a few hundred thousand are outliers.

• Reply 8 of 27

I am not happy with the News app. I was eager to try it and I chose a couple of publications to start out. So, when I went to view the articles, there were articles from other providers. I really just wanted the two that I "signed up" for. Not interested in what somebody thinks I might be interested in based on what I signed up for. Am I doing something wrong or is this the way it is? If so, it's pretty useless to me.

• Reply 9 of 27
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Battery life is fine.  I get 48 hours on my 6+

If you need more battery life go buy a battery case.

Right because Apple's vision for iPhone users is having them cover up the phone with bulky battery cases. Apple should always be working on improving efficiency and battery life. You can never have too much battery life IMO.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

Battery life is fine for most people, most of the time. If you need more, buy a battery case or external battery to charge on the fly. Until there is a radical new battery technology (which isn't on the horizon) any improvement in efficiency will be countered with new features that utilize the battery. They will not and should not increase the size of the batteries and therefore the phones to accommodate a few outliers. Yes, in a world where tens of millions of iPhones are sold, a few hundred thousand are outliers.

Sorry, but you're in the 7% minority according to a poll at 9to5Mac:

"A recent poll of over 3,100 9to5Mac readers indicates that most are not satisfied with current-generation iPhone battery life. Over 90% of respondents said that they want to see Apple improve iPhone battery life, versus less than 7% saying that 'iPhone battery life and battery cases are good enough as-is.'"

90% isn't exactly an "outlier".  Is iPhone battery life better than other phones?  Yes, but that still doesn't make 10 hours "acceptable".  As I recall, during the presentation a few weeks ago they touted the iPhone's 10 hours as "all day battery life".  Maybe all of one's "work day", but the last time I checked, my complete day had 24 hours in it.

• Reply 11 of 27
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That is the key takeaway from the article for me.  When a new version of Android is released, how many days until even 1 end user gets it?

I am interested to see how the numbers develop over the week.

• Reply 12 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DamonF View Post

Sorry, but you're in the 7% minority according to a poll at 9to5Mac:

"A recent poll of over 3,100 9to5Mac readers indicates that most are not satisfied with current-generation iPhone battery life. Over 90% of respondents said that they want to see Apple improve iPhone battery life, versus less than 7% saying that 'iPhone battery life and battery cases are good enough as-is.'"

90% isn't exactly an "outlier".  Is iPhone battery life better than other phones?  Yes, but that still doesn't make 10 hours "acceptable".  As I recall, during the presentation a few weeks ago they touted the iPhone's 10 hours as "all day battery life".  Maybe all of one's "work day", but the last time I checked, my complete day had 24 hours in it.

Mine is plugged into my car charger on the way to work.  Plugged in again on the way home.  Plugged in overnight.  For me, I have no issues.  Your mileage may vary.

• Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Go to the favorites button.

Click on the publication you want to read.

All the articles should be from that publication.

Think of the For You section like the Apple Music For You section. They will try to introduce you to new providers based on your favorites.

Thanks. I'll give it a shot. I really wanted to like this.

• Reply 14 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

And the readers of 9to5Mac are the average iPhone user?  Hell no.  Those are power users.

That thought was just on my mind.  Kind of like taking a political poll about Democrats and only ask Republicans to respond.

• Reply 15 of 27
    Shut up about all this nonsense about free world and blah blah blah.

Apple has dialed this app in perfectly and it will only get better.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Am I the only one in the world whose Apple News app doesn't work?

I haven't been able to perform searches, I get a persistent message about "the network" not working in the app, and none of the feeds update. It's bizarre. And I can't delete and re-download it either since it's a native app. The app has been functionally dead for four days now.

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/63140/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/63141/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 17 of 27
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Am I the only one in the world whose Apple News app doesn't work?

I haven't been able to perform searches, I get a persistent message about "the network" not working in the app, and none of the feeds update. It's bizarre. And I can't delete and re-download it either since it's a native app. The app has been functionally dead for four days now.

Have you tried Reset Network?
  • Reply 18 of 27
    matrix07 wrote: »
    Have you tried Reset Network?

No, I haven't. This app is the only one I have with this problem. Everything else works fine.
  • Reply 19 of 27

WHERE is the News app for El Capitan, Apple?!

• Reply 20 of 27
    No, I haven't. This app is the only one I have with this problem. Everything else works fine.

You should try it. I had problem with Apple Music where the songs will keep stuttering but everything else was fine (no lag when browsing for example). Once I reset it the stream was smooth like I'm playing from local library.