Apple issues first OS X 10.11.1 public beta ahead of El Capitan launch

Posted:
in macOS edited September 2015
Days before Apple is scheduled to debut OS X 10.11 El Capitan, the company on Monday issued the first public beta version of its upcoming OS X 10.11.1 El Capitan maintenance update to those participating in the program.

The public beta comes less than one week after Apple released a version for developer testing that included support for new emoji characters and improved overall system stability. Release notes attached to today's build note the same improvements.

Apple will release is next-generation Mac operating system on Sept. 30 with a selection of new features including Split View, a revamped Mission Control and various performance improvements.

Members of Apple's public beta program can access the OS X 10.11.1 beta via Software Update. Those interested in signing up to test the latest OS X and iOS operating system can do so on Apple's website.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9

It's not showing up for me is it for anybody else?

• Reply 2 of 9

Already downloaded and installed on a 2009 Mac Mini and a 2012, 27" iMac.

Running buttery smooth.  

:smokey: 

• Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mwhiteco View Post

Yeah, it's been showing for a couple of days or so for me - haven't pulled the trigger on it yet though.

• Reply 4 of 9
    Public Beta is the new Final. :)

I find myself more and more on betas since the program rolled out, iOS as well as MacOS.

Which tells either about the desirability or the quality of the public betas. Or both.

Only drawback: by the time one version is final, the next PB is out. ;)
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Public Beta is the new Final. image

I find myself more and more on betas since the program rolled out, iOS as well as MacOS.

Which tells either about the desirability or the quality of the public betas. Or both.

Only drawback: by the time one version is final, the next PB is out. image

So far I've only had two applications fail on me with El Capitan - TapForms and EA's Origin. Origin got fixed in Beta 4 but TapForms still crashes and is basically unusable. Luckily the iOS version works fine on my iPhone 6+ NOW, it showed a return of the TextArea bug (I don't think it uses standard APIs for those because it seems to only be this application that fails in this manner nothing else.

• Reply 6 of 9

I'm waiting for El Capitan to come out soon. I have not updated my existing notes on iOS 9 since it says I need to be running El Cap for the notes to be available on my Macs.

• Reply 7 of 9
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mwhiteco View Post

Not showing here either, on my Mav 10.9 Mini.

App update still is recommending Yos 10.10.

However on Sep 9 I did get an Email invite to try the latest beta. 

I'm a beta tester occasionally, but too busy on vacation the week of Sep 9th.

• Reply 8 of 9
    Won't let me update too 10.11.1 Beta. I go to reset after downloading and it says "Available updates have changed, click "Show details" to see available updates." It's really annoying me, can anyone help?!
  • Reply 9 of 9

And of course, eager as I am, I posted outside of this post.

However, download and installation - very smooth and no issues. For me this is a really important quality of Apple's deployments.

I know I had serious issues with Safari performance, very slow - comparing to accessing the same sites using Firefox or Opera.