Apple issues second iOS 9.1 public beta, launches iPhone 6s iOS 9.0.1 update

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Apple on Thursday provided public beta testers with their second build of iOS 9.1, and also launched the iOS 9.0.1 update tailored for the soon-to-debut iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus.

The second iOS 9.1 public beta comes just one day after it was provided to developers for testing. Users are advised to not install beta software on their daily machine, as it frequently features bugs that Apple intends to fix before public launch.

Apple also released iOS 9.0.1 on Wednesday for current handsets, but Thursday the company made available for download update files for the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus. Both handsets will make their way into the hands of consumers on Friday, presumably running iOS 9.0, meaning users will need to update once the device is out of the box.

iOS 9.0.1 fixes a number of smaller issues in Apple's latest mobile operating system, including:
  • Addresses an issue where some users could not complete setup assistant after updating
  • Fixes an issue where sometimes alarms and timers could fail to play
  • Fixes an issue in Safari and Photos where pausing video could cause the paused frame to appear distorted
  • Fixes an issue where some users with a custom APN setup via a profile would lose cellular data
As for the iOS 9.1 beta, its main feature discovered thus far is support for Unicode 8, featuring a number of new emoji, including a taco, burrito unicorn, middle finger, and a mysterious "eye in speech bubble" character.

In our own early tests, AppleInsider has found the first iOS 9.1 beta to address some lingering issues from iOS 9.0, most notably keyboard and image selection lagginess within the Messages app.

iOS 9.1 is believed to be the default installation on Apple's forthcoming iPad Pro. If that's the case, the public should see the new software update no later than the jumbo-sized tablet's November launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I just want the ?Music UI improved and the News app to work as intended.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Sweet, a unicorn giving the finger while eating a taco and burrito.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Doh - they still didn't fix Podcasts!

The buttons for Timer, Skip -20s and Skip +20s are missing.

Well, actually, they're still there - just invisible.

Clicking in the empty space to the left or right of the Play icon still skips and clicking below it activates the sleep timer...
  • Reply 4 of 8

AT&T WiFi appears to be working in this build. Previously I had issues with it using it at all no matter how bad the cell signal was.

• Reply 5 of 8
    'Unable to check for update'
  • Reply 6 of 8

Does anyone know why Apple removed the ability to browse Safari and listen to Safari audio simultaneously? It was allowed originally, then a couple years ago, they removed the ability. Shortly after, perhaps one major release later, they added it in again, and then, in either iOS 7 or 8, they took it out once again. It remains absent in iOS 9. I've sent feedback about the strange changes many times. I just can't wrap my head around any legitimate reason why Apple would disallow using multiple tabs at once in Mobile Safari.

• Reply 7 of 8
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sporlo wrote: »
    Does anyone know why Apple removed the ability to browse Safari and listen to Safari audio simultaneously? It was allowed originally, then a couple years ago, they removed the ability. Shortly after, perhaps one major release later, they added it in again, and then, in either iOS 7 or 8, they took it out once again. It remains absent in iOS 9. I've sent feedback about the strange changes many times. I just can't wrap my head around any legitimate reason why Apple would disallow using multiple tabs at once in Mobile Safari.

I can bet YouTube's lack of management has something to do with the decision.

A ton of people illegally listen to music on there and just close the video. I've done it before when listening to speeches etc.

Not sure if it was possible to do while browsing Safari though but you can bet this is a problem.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Does anyone know how to purchase songs from within the Music app in iOS 9.1? There used to be a "Show in iTunes Store" menu button accessible from the More (...) button in 9.0 beta (as shown below), but I can't find it in 9.1 beta 1 or 2. Did it get moved or is it gone?

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/63378/width/200/height/400[/IMG]