Apple's Tim Cook, Lisa Jackson placed at head table for White House state dinner

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2015
Apple CEO Tim Cook and environment and government affairs chief Lisa Jackson joined other tech industry titans at President Barack Obama's head table for Friday night's White House dinner in honor of visiting Chinese President Xi Jinping. Cook is also expected to meet with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi this weekend.

Source: AP

A photo snapped by the Associated Press shows Cook and Jackson heading into the event, where they reportedly sat with President Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama, President Xi Jinping, Madame Peng, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella and Salesforce CEO Marc Benioff. Others at the table included Walt Disney CEO Bob Iger, DreamWorks CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg and philanthropist David Rubenstein, according to West Wing Reports' Paul Brandus.

Friday's dinner capped off President Xi's two-day visit to Washington. Earlier in the day, the two heads of state held a joint press conference to openly discuss a variety of topics including trade agreements, military relations and, important to U.S. tech companies, cybersecurity.

President Xi already met with America's tech bigwigs in Seattle on Wednesday, where he delivered a policy speech and took part in a roundtable to discuss economic and cybersecurity issues. A recent scourge of Chinese hacks against U.S. interests has caused concern for industry heads, making corporate espionage a key pivot point for ongoing government talks.

As it applies to Apple, China's stance on data protection leaves much to be desired. The company is reticent to store data on Chinese servers due to potentially dangerous state laws that could force Apple to one day hand over sensitive files.

Complications stemming from Apple's complex relationship with China were seen this week when developers in that country inadvertently downloaded a modified malware-infused version of Xcode called XcodeGhost, subsequently uploading malicious apps to the iOS App Store. Because it was hosted on U.S. servers, Xcode was slow to download in China, prompting developers to turn to faster unofficial versions hosted on cloud storage servers run by Baidu. Apple has since promised to host copies of Xcode in China.

In related news, Cook is slated to meet with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi this weekend to discuss how the company might benefit his country's economy, reports The Wall Street Journal. Modi will also sit down with executives from Microsoft, Google, Adobe, Cisco, Qualcomm and other tech firms.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Since Xcode will be hosted on China-based servers how high are the odds that at some point the Chinese government will demand the source code? I think odds are high and getting higher.
  • Reply 2 of 38

z

• Reply 3 of 38
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Oh God that's a funny picture!!

Tim is a very cute person. I've noticed this watching him on stage lately.

But what does this mean for Giggle? I heard this was even more bad news for them in China.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    [SIZE=3]Last I heard, Google was outside arguing with security that they left their invite in their other tux...[/SIZE]
  • Reply 5 of 38
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by applehelpsd View Post

Tim is spending too much time rubbing elbows with politicians, fashion moguls, celebrities, and trying to be an activist for every wrong in the world. In the meantime I am getting buggy software  on all of my devices and laptops that seems to be launched before they are prime-time. If Steve was here he would fire some people, throw some chairs and turn a few tables over...and get it right. Yes, I'm an old codger who is stuck in the past, though I do have an iPhone 6+, an Apple Watch plus the iPad Air 2a...in addition to my MBPros. I just want the damn things to work without having to do all the work-arounds. Enjoy your dinner Tim with all of the phony elitists! 

Tim was likely there because China's hacking of the world's computers was a big part of the discussions.

The very recent China hack of Apple's App development was a prime example.

We are after China for being one of the biggest computer spying countries in the world.

So it's all about improving your computer use !

What's your Apple SW problem;  my iOS8 iPhone and MacOS X  Mav 10.9 are running perfectly.

• Reply 6 of 38
    Josha enjoined applehelpsd's complaint with "What's your Apple SW problem; my iOS8 iPhone and MacOS X Mav 10.9 are running perfectly."
    My experience is also excellent on 4 iOS9 upgrades 2x iPhone and 2x iPads. MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and Mac Pro (2008) all doing fine on Yosemite
  • Reply 7 of 38
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Tim is spending too much time rubbing elbows with politicians, fashion moguls, celebrities, and trying to be an activist for every wrong in the world. In the meantime I am getting buggy software  on all of my devices and laptops that seems to be launched before they are prime-time. If Steve was here he would fire some people, throw some chairs and turn a few tables over...and get it right. Yes, I'm an old codger who is stuck in the past, though I do have an iPhone 6+, an Apple Watch plus the iPad Air 2a...in addition to my MBPros. I just want the damn things to work without having to do all the work-arounds. Enjoy your dinner Tim with all of the phony elitists!<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> </span>
    I too, may feel uncomfortable with heads of governments and heads of industry hobnobbing, but probably for different reasons. Our memories of the past with Steve also differ. I don't recall a glorious past where all Apple devices software and services worked flawlessly as a result of Steve's tantrums, or not. Besides, when you consider how much more complex these devices and services are today than only a few years ago the value of any comparison to the past is very weak.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    Folks classify the half-century plus I've spent in activism as ranging from progressive to radical - but, I still have no problems with a tech leader sitting at the head of the table at a state dinner. Xi and Obama meet at important levels and folks like Tim Cook are included in. Of course. This ain't Congress, children.

As for bugs. Few and far between. But, then, I always ask the same question: have any unapproved 3rd party wonders on your Apple critter? No need to detail the reasons. The XCode fiasco we just witnessed demonstrated deliberate manipulation of geek hangups.

I've been online since 1983 mostly outside the Apple mileau. Changing over to Apple a decade ago has made a qualitative world of difference in useful computing. I'd rather see a Tim Cook listened to in the White House - and Beijing - than business "leaders" trying to revive the corpse politics of a Nixon or Reagan,any day.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

As for bugs. Few and far between.

Rubbish...and you know that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Eideard View Post

I'd rather see a Tim Cook listened to in the White House - and Beijing ...

Ha...you think he is there to give them advice? He was there to be politely informed what will happen if Apple doesn't put the back door into their operating systems that the justice department wants.

Why are the crusaders always so naive?

-kpluk

• Reply 10 of 38
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Tim is spending too much time rubbing elbows with politicians, fashion moguls, celebrities, and trying to be an activist for every wrong in the world. In the meantime I am getting buggy software  on all of my devices and laptops that seems to be launched before they are prime-time. If Steve was here he would fire some people, throw some chairs and turn a few tables over...and get it right. Yes, I'm an old codger who is stuck in the past, though I do have an iPhone 6+, an Apple Watch plus the iPad Air 2a...in addition to my MBPros. I just want the damn things to work without having to do all the work-arounds. Enjoy your dinner Tim with all of the phony elitists!<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> </span>

Tim is doing what needs to be done for Apple. BTW I don't recall Apple software being better in the past than it is today and I started using it in 1979. It was excellent then and it is phenomenal now. Are there things that could be better like iCloud Photo-sharing, yes, am I confident it will continue to get better yes. Is there an alternative I'd consider, no.
  • Reply 11 of 38

Apple is not that little Macintosh company from yesteryear. And so much the better. 

Apple enjoys iconic levels of popularity today, and with that comes a natural level of power and influence which *will* extend beyond tech and into sociopolitical culture. 

All things considered, this is all part of a healthy and secure Apple.

• Reply 12 of 38
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Tim is spending too much time rubbing elbows with politicians, fashion moguls, celebrities, and trying to be an activist for every wrong in the world. In the meantime I am getting buggy software  on all of my devices and laptops that seems to be launched before they are prime-time. If Steve was here he would fire some people, throw some chairs and turn a few tables over...and get it right. Yes, I'm an old codger who is stuck in the past, though I do have an iPhone 6+, an Apple Watch plus the iPad Air 2a...in addition to my MBPros. I just want the damn things to work without having to do all the work-arounds. Enjoy your dinner Tim with all of the phony elitists! 

Oh, do shutup. Apple is firing on all cylinders and Cook is doing an incredible job. His attendance at these things benefits Apple, and he would be shooting himself in the face if he didn't attend. You want him to refuse a dinner with the President? For you to tie this with code quality is mind-numbingly moronic, as if the 2 have any bearing. My OSX and iOS devices are pretty rock solid, so maybe you should stop generalizing. Tim has dedicated his life to Apple, is known to be a workaholic, and the suggestions of people like you that he doesn't care enough, simply because you don't agree with his social views, is frankly cowardly, deceitful, and childish. You selfishly want Apple to retreat into a little bubble, cause you don't agree with social progress, even though that would guarantee to harm the company. 

There were MORE bugs during Steve's time, as well as software disasters (and 1/10th of the features). 10.11 and iOS9 are the most functional, stable, and best looking versions I have used. Steve also attended dinners with Presidents- Obama included. But make sure you don't mention those inconvenient facts in your shitty rant. Is that SJ right beside Obama I see? No, couldn't be. 

• Reply 13 of 38
    Cue the class warriors, the quality-whiners.... Yikes...
  • Reply 14 of 38
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    eideard wrote: »
    Juvenile comments from juvenile minds.
    You come across as pretty juvenile yourself, to be honest. Your 'half century of activism' clearly didn't teach you the value of tact and decorum.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Bugs never existed before Jobs died. That is truth as I found it on the Internet.

I hope Cook says to POTUS, "now about the DOJ's bogus investigation..."
  • Reply 16 of 38
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    [IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/63403/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Tim and Lisa strike a fancy pose before heading to the White House state dinner.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Do people realize Tim Cook is CEO not head of software engineering? I wish he was less cozy with Washington DC (fat chance of that with Lisa Jackson gaining even more power at Apple) but that has nothing to do with software quality at Apple. And let's not pretend it was all roses under Steve Jobs. People bitch just as much about software back then as they do now.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshA View Post

Quote:

Tim was likely there because China's hacking of the world's computers was a big part of the discussions.

The very recent China hack of Apple's App development was a prime example.

We are after China for being one of the biggest computer spying countries in the world.

So it's all about improving your computer use !

What's your Apple SW problem;  my iOS8 iPhone and MacOS X  Mav 10.9 are running perfectly.

Eh JoshA, news for you. Two highly paid executives of a company stuffing their bellies full at the expense of US taxpayers is not going to improve anybody's computer use.

I have not seen any actual EVIDENCE that China was behind the app development hack. I HAVE seen evidence that the exact same procedure was developed by the NSA. While you may be right that one of the worst state-supported or state-operated hacking/spying operations is thought to be China, THE worst is known to be the UK (GCHQ), closely followed by the NSA.

• Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:

Old and codger are not relevant. You're just a person who doesn't think very big, and watches too many crappy movies.

• Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:

Had any success with all that complaining?