dead macbook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited October 2015

late 2008, macbook 13 inch. A1278. won't start at all. My friend gave it to me, after he changed the DC in board connector. Tried resetting the SMC etc. Any other options? 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5

Tried an external display?

Tried replacing the battery?

• Reply 2 of 5

wont boot at all, so external display not an option. Should boot without battery, but will try that anyway. 

• Reply 3 of 5
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by haikujim View Post

wont boot at all, so external display not an option. Should boot without battery, but will try that anyway. 

They will boot without the battery, as long as the charger can deliver power. You can't reset the SMC if you can't turn it on, so you really didn't do anything. The other advice is clueless nonsense. Neither of those things will make a difference. You would hear the machine start up even without a powered display, and the battery makes no difference. If it was an issue with the connector, you wouldn't be able to recharge a good battery anyway.

• Reply 4 of 5

I can only start up by first pressing power button for 10 sec or more, then connecting power cord, while pressing power button. then release . pressing power button immeadiatelly after starts the mac. Fan runs high, battery not charging, power connector shows dull green light.

After starting, I removed one bad ram module(3 beeps). reinstalled lion. computer works,

camera, trackpad, keyboard. Typing this on the macbook. 

tried smc fan control, but it says 0 rpm on fan. coconutbattery says no charge and no info on battery. 

Unable to reset smu, as I have to go thru the above procedure to get it to start. 

computer will go into sleep mode, if I select it from apple menu. closing lid doesn't work.

• Reply 5 of 5
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by haikujim View Post

tried smc fan control, but it says 0 rpm on fan. coconutbattery says no charge and no info on battery. 

Unable to reset smu, as I have to go thru the above procedure to get it to start. 

computer will go into sleep mode, if I select it from apple menu. closing lid doesn't work.

You're referring to a couple things here. First of all resetting power management cannot fix a hardware problem. It may fix a couple specific glitches. It simply won't fix any of this. It sometimes fixes long bootup times if the boot order is incorrect.

SMC fan control shows 0 rpm, because it can't get a reading. Your macbook uses a fan daemon. If it cannot get hardware readings, it sets the fan to max to avoid hardware damage. SMC fan control has no readings to go by, so it just reads 0. This is to be expected. Ram is a separate issue from all of this. You can get kernel panics from bad ram if it flips a critical bit.

If it's still showing a dull green light, you probably have a hardware problem. I wouldn't put too much money into this. The hardware isn't immortal, and other parts may die.