News in Mac OS X?

Posted:
in macOS edited September 2015

Given the migration from iOS of iBooks and Maps, do you think we might see the same with news? I'm loving get tailored news all in one place and without distractions. But when starting the day at my desk I'd far rather read off my laptop then phone. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I don't understand why it didn't have international availability from the outset. It should be treated much like a web browser. Although some sources will be location-specific for ads and language, the website sources are all international. There are forum members on AI whose first language isn't english but still read the site and post comments. It could have an in-app translator like Siri to save people using something like Google Translate and Apple can cache translations to speed it up for others.

I've used RSS feeds on the desktop for years which do a similar thing to News but it's just a flat list of links to articles for preferred sources. It saves visiting the websites regularly because it just stores up the articles as they get added to the sites and puts a number indicator on the icon for unread articles just like email apps. So if AppleInsider had posted 6 new articles and another site had 3 new articles, another site had 4, the icon in the dock would just have 13 unread marked on it. On bringing the app to the front, you can just arrow through the list of articles and then hide the app. It saves loads of time having to visit each website individually.

Sites that sell products have feeds that let you know when there are special offers on. You could subscribe to Amazon and get notifications about deals on products you're interested in. The News app could have something where the user decides they want say an SSD with certain spec at a certain price on Amazon and then have the News app send a link when it finds a matching product at that price in a sale or whatever. This might need a special page format where the main link acts like a folder of items. This would work for fashion, clothing sales, car sales, any product that people are interested in and that interest can be fed back to retailers. Retailers might be selling a product for $100 hoping to shift 10,000 units. If 100,000 customers would be willing to buy it for $60 then they can assess options on making the product cheaper, making an equivalent product for that price point, adjusting margins based on unit volume or just tailoring sales based on that demand. They can hook up with sites like Pinterest to link products that people want with e-commerce and get notifications.

It would be nice to be able to add sources on your own but it makes sense that Apple would rather have publishers sign up accounts. Their own News format has advantages and they'll want people using that wherever possible. At the bottom of the following page, it shows advantages over RSS:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/General/Conceptual/News_Publishing_Guide/BecomingaNewsPublisher.html

Publishers that don't have the resources to rewrite every article in News format will just use the RSS format for now so News for them will behave the same as an RSS reader where you just get a list of links to the web pages and pages load inside the app. Automating the conversion process to News format would help so they can perhaps have an app that publishers can just point to a web article or drop in a webarchive of an article possibly not yet published and the app can parse all the image and text data and format it according to standard layout templates that work well and then a publisher would just submit it for review.

Apple should definitely be pushing the News app out to the Mac and as many locations as they can (or ideally just make it available everywhere). Their publisher curation is still going to be limiting vs a normal RSS reader because they'll likely block publishers putting out adult content or other material they don't want to promote but it will serve as a strong platform for publishers putting out high quality editorial. Some people work primarily on different devices so someone reading an interesting article in News on a laptop would be able to share it with someone on a phone who might not be subscribed to that feed.

Eventually this sort of thing could become to publications what the App Store is to software. It gives some order to the chaos of everyone trying to figure out how to monetize their product and how to get audiences to find them. It can also lead to top-heavy popularity like the App Store but News has controls for telling it which content you like and don't like and it uses that to curate what you see, which is how the App Store should work too i.e show you things you are personally interested in.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I don't understand why it didn't have international availability from the outset. It should be treated much like a web browser. Although some sources will be location-specific for ads and language, the website sources are all international. 

This isn't a news site with a paywall. You're already killing it with scripts and tracker overload, so as people block, you're dead in the water if you don't find alternative streams. 

News is huge not because it's another RSS reader or whatever, but because it's a PUBLISHING PLATFORM. As such, there are revenue streams and international publishing agreements that have to be negotiated for each and every publication for each and every region. 

• Reply 3 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    spheric wrote: »
    Marvin wrote: »
    I don't understand why it didn't have international availability from the outset. It should be treated much like a web browser. Although some sources will be location-specific for ads and language, the website sources are all international.

This isn't a news site with a paywall. You're already killing it with scripts and tracker overload, so as people block, you're dead in the water if you don't find alternative streams.

How does that relate to what I said? I also have nothing to do with the website but the people who do have said they tried different revenue streams like subscription and not enough people are using those. What people say they would pay for and what they do pay for are different when it comes to parting with money and businesses can only operate on revenue streams that work.
    spheric wrote: »
    News is huge not because it's another RSS reader or whatever, but because it's a PUBLISHING PLATFORM. As such, there are revenue streams and international publishing agreements that have to be negotiated for each and every publication for each and every region.

It looks to be the same ad model as apps, Apple offers iAds:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/General/Conceptual/News_Publishing_Guide/MonetizingonNews.html

Apple's site suggests that News being in English might be what's holding back the availability and only lists the US, UK and Australia:

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/General/Conceptual/News_Publishing_Guide/FAQ.html

Maybe they need to setup approval teams to handle various languages but like I say, websites are international even when they are only in English and it has RSS functionality that people could use.
  • Reply 4 of 4

Still not available here in the UK. I only have it as I'm running 9.1 beta. But agree, having it on the Mac would be perfect for me and some others I'm sure.