Pencil to work with other future iPads?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited September 2015

So thanks to a bit of cash and a grant for my doctorate I have some money to spend on finally updating some ageing Apple equipment. First will be my 5yr old iMac which is getting really slow. However, I also have a mini that I have no real need to upgrade but I could do on the Education Store. However, I'd hold off if people think future iPads will all support the pencil, including the mini. Any thoughts on this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

So thanks to a bit of cash and a grant for my doctorate I have some money to spend on finally updating some ageing Apple equipment. First will be my 5yr old iMac which is getting really slow. However, I also have a mini that I have no real need to upgrade but I could do on the Education Store. However, I'd hold off if people think future iPads will all support the pencil, including the mini. Any thoughts on this?

Possibly, but it wouldn't happen until the regularly scheduled product refreshes. Why not just wait a little longer and get the iPad Pro?

• Reply 2 of 4

I don't need anything that big, the mini is great for me as a small, book size format. I just like the idea of the extra dexterity of the pencil for possibly annotating and working with large numbers of PDFs.

• Reply 3 of 4
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    The problem with this post is that you start by talking about an iMac and then mention the Mini, the Mini what?
    So thanks to a bit of cash and a grant for my doctorate I have some money to spend on finally updating some ageing Apple equipment. First will be my 5yr old iMac which is getting really slow.
    I don't know if you have time constraints but I wouldn't buy a new iMac now, instead wait for the next product upgrade. The reason is pretty simple, the hope of a new generation of ports to keep the machine viable for another 5-8 years. Performance might be better also but I see that as being a minor improvement over the current machine. The thing is USB-C is really hot right now, seems like new chips are being introduced every month to support it, this indicates to me that the standard will be successful.
    However, I also have a mini that I have no real need to upgrade but I could do on the Education Store.
    Then don't spend money on it!!!!! This should be obvious, if you have grant money to spend apply it to other things to enhance your productivity.

What might you spend the money on, you might ask?
    1. A printer.
    2. A disk array! People are seriously bad with backups and as such this needs to be suggested again and again. Even if you have other backup options, say a campus network, implementing TimeMachine can provide you with a more functional alternative.
    3. Lab I/O hardware.
    However, I'd hold off if people think future iPads will all support the pencil, including the mini. Any thoughts on this?

I have no idea! Here is the thing, the Mini was just updated so you won't see anything for a year or two anyways. That sorta makes the question not relevant unless you have an extremely long time period to use the grant. In any event it really sounds like you don't need that Mini updated at this moment in time. Your money would be better spent on support hardware for the iMac or even an iMac at the higher end of the scale.

With the iMac, especially the possibility of not being able to service the machine for RAM upgrades, you are far better off buying a high end machine with a full complement of RAM.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Sorry I should have said an iPad mini.