Apple stops iOS 8.4.1 and iOS 9.0 code signing as iOS 9.0.2 fixes lock screen exploit

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
After the release of iOS 9.0.2 on Wednesday, which fixed a number of bugs including a lock screen exploit, Apple stopped signing iOS 8.4.1 and iOS 9.0 firmware for compatible devices, prohibiting users who updated from downgrading.

As expected, Apple has taken steps to ensure iOS device owners have the latest and most stable version of its mobile operating system, and is no longer signing code for iOS 8.4.1 or iOS 9.0. The company is limiting compatible versions to iOS 9.0.1 and iOS 9.0.2, the latter of which as released earlier today.

With Apple no longer signing code, users who upgraded to the latest iOS 9 release can no longer revert to older iOS versions. Apple released iOS 8.4.1 in August with fixes for Apple Music and iCloud Music Library, while iOS 9.0 saw its debut two weeks ago.

In related news, the iOS 9.0.2 update issued today fixes a security issue that allowed malicious users to bypass a passcode protected lock screen and gain unfettered access to an iPhone's photos and contacts. The exploit was discovered in initial iOS 9 firmware and was left unpatched in iOS 9.0.1.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

I suppose we'll just see more and more of this - the price of popularity.

The advantage is, Apple addresses it...not saying anything you don't all know.

• Reply 2 of 11
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Updated all of my devices this morning.
  • Reply 3 of 11

This is as it should be. Locking people out of insecure software limits the attractiveness of iOS to hackers, which in turn reduces the number of hackers on the iOS hacking scene and makes iOS safer for everyone.

• Reply 4 of 11
    proline wrote: »
    This is as it should be. Locking people out of insecure software limits the attractiveness of iOS to hackers, which in turn reduces the number of hackers on the iOS hacking scene and makes iOS safer for everyone.

I help make it less safe by using 6.1.6 daily. :D
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I help make it less safe by using 6.1.6 daily. image

And you can make it totally unsafe by jailbreaking it.

• Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I help make it less safe by using 6.1.6 daily. image

6.1.6 has many known security flaws. You're banking on the fact that few other people are using it for your safety. Suit yourself.

• Reply 7 of 11
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

After the release of iOS 9.0.2 on Wednesday, which fixed a number of bugs including a lock screen exploit

Slow clap...

• Reply 8 of 11
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

What happens if someone does a restore on a device still running older iOS version either because they can't upgrade or don't want to upgrade?  Does restoring the device force it to be upgraded?  What if the device can't run iOS 9?

• Reply 9 of 11
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    My 9.0.2 update has my new 6s Plus with disabled landscape mode while the same update applied to my old 6 Plus still has landscape mode working. Color me perplexed????. Anybody else missing landscape mode after updating their new iPhone?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    haggar wrote: »
    What happens if someone does a restore on a device still running older iOS version either because they can't upgrade or don't want to upgrade?  Does restoring the device force it to be upgraded?  What if the device can't run iOS 9?
    Devices which don't support software updates beyond a certain version can always restore to the latest version that works for that device. However, if the device supports a new version, then that's the only version you can update / restore to. Each time you update or restore, iTunes checks in with Apple to verify whether the version is still allowed on that device.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

Originally Posted by focher View Post

Devices which don't support software updates beyond a certain version can always restore to the latest version that works for that device. However, if the device supports a new version, then that's the only version you can update / restore to. Each time you update or restore, iTunes checks in with Apple to verify whether the version is still allowed on that device.

Boy, talk about "big brother".

You will upgrade your phone and you will like it.

(resistance is futile)