Apple reportedly closes deal on huge Sunnyvale campus

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2015
Apple has reportedly signed a lease for a 770,000-square-foot campus to be built in Sunnyvale, Calif., a stone's throw away from its Campus 2 "spaceship" currently under construction in Cupertino, expanding the company's already substantial presence in the area.

According to the Silicon Valley Business Journal, Apple inked a deal with Landbank Investments LLC to occupy the firm's forthcoming Central & Wolfe campus. While terms remain unknown, the publication believes Apple chose to lease, not buy, the development.

A website set up to showcase approved building designs reveals three organically shaped, multi-story structures that connect around a central courtyard to create what looks like a three-petaled flower. It is not yet known if Apple intends to stick with the proposed architecture, but as it stands, the design can support up to 3,000 employees.

In keeping with Apple's eco-friendly image, plans for the Sunnyvale campus call for small parks, walking paths and wide open spaces populated by local flora. Workers will be able to look out on the green expanse from curved windows reminiscent of those used in Campus 2's disc-shaped main structure, a striking design that has been coopted to some extent by major tech firms building out new Silicon Valley headquarters.

Developers have not yet set a concrete construction timeline for the Sunnyvale complex and it is currently not known when Apple plans to move in.

Interestingly, the Central & Wolfe project is located across the street from a seven-building development Apple is already leasing. That complex, called Sunnyvale Crossing, is comparatively smaller at about 290,000 square-feet and can reportedly accommodate some 1,450 workers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    When you see this project, and everything else that Apple is currently working on, can you imagine how insanely busy the average day would be for Tim Cook?
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Looks like an amazing building. It would be really helpful to have a satellite image showing its relation to Apple Campus 2. It's very similar to Apple Campus 2 (monumental yet still on a human scale, no straight lines, and a Pixaresque central space for spontaneous mingling and collaboration), but addresses a lot of the complaints with it, primarily that AC2 does not integrate well with the community and doesn't have green roof space. These criticisms are completely stupid and myopic, but at least I don't think we'll hear them this time around.

I love the hints on the webpage: the quote by Walter Issackson, and then "A workplace designed to FOSTER ingenuity," and "The blending of art (humanities?), science (technology?), and nature."
  • Reply 3 of 15
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Since Apple is leasing this building how much say do they have on the design? With all the real estate they're gobbling up clearly they have some big projects going on. MG Siegler says the Apple car project is the worst kept secret in Silicon Valley and Apple has more people working on it than almost every startup located in the Valley.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Whose the Jetson's obsessor?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    bilbo63bilbo63 Posts: 285member
    I dub this the "Jetson's Campus". Very nice!
  • Reply 6 of 15
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bilbo63 wrote: »
    I dub this the "Jetson's Campus". Very nice!

Spacely's Sprockets, or Cogswell's Cogs?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Huh!  Another dang 'Land Grab'...

• Reply 8 of 15
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Just in: Cupertino considering a name change - Golden Delicious, Liberty & Honey Crisp are top of the list.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    paxman wrote: »
    Just in: Cupertino considering a name change - Golden Delicious, Liberty & Honey Crisp are top of the list.
    I prefer "Royal Gala", myself.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    paxman wrote: »

Don't you know Apple's products are named after raincoats, not fruit varieties???
  • Reply 11 of 15
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

The design are OK, but this is still from the old school Curbusier of monumental building in the middle of large expanses (natural instead of man made so small progress) with a Loyd Wright influence... (not as massive, concrete , lots of outside being brought in).

Density of occupation of those sites is stil woefully low and I'm guessing another car centric devellopment; how do you walk to anything from there.... Power hike?

Between that and the country house on a large lot that led to the bungalow and suburbs eventually, there's not much there : back to the future as they say.

• Reply 12 of 15
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    anome wrote: »
    I prefer "Royal Gala", myself.

Just call it Apple. Plain and simple. Apple California.
    Don't you know Apple's products are named after raincoats, not fruit varieties???

"Still waiting on the iJacket."
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Sheesh...as it is the traffic is heavy already, imagine when it's done?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

The design are OK, but this is still from the old school Curbusier of monumental building in the middle of large expanses (natural instead of man made so small progress) with a Loyd Wright influence... (not as massive, concrete , lots of outside being brought in).

Density of occupation of those sites is stil woefully low and I'm guessing another car centric devellopment; how do you walk to anything from there.... Power hike?

Between that and the country house on a large lot that led to the bungalow and suburbs eventually, there's not much there : back to the future as they say.

I've been a huge fan of Apple architecture. Apple has accomplished the hard task of making modernist architecture (e.g. corbusier, meis van der rohe, etc.) actually work, by taking it out of its self imposed box. Many of the principal tenants are imbued in Apple's buildings: simplicity, truthfulness (no false/faux coverings/materials), transparency (exterior view is consistent with interior structure), simple materials (glass, stone concrete, wood), and assimilated (to a 'reasonable' extent) with the local community (Apple's habit of restoring historical structures, incorporating local materials, etc.). In addition, Apple has abandoned the silly dogma of mechanically managing interior spaces, and has opened itself up to making structures that relate on a humanistic level, evoking feelings and anticipating thought processes, more akin to the refinements of the Parthenon than the boxy rooms of modernist buildings. Apple architecture is another fantastic example of Apple bridging the gap between technology/science (modernist architecture) and art (humanistic interaction).