Apple Watch to go on sale throughout all US Target outlets by Oct. 25

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited October 2015
Big-box retailer Target announced on Friday that the Apple Watch will go on sale at "some" U.S. locations this week, eventually coming to all of its stores across the country by Oct. 25.

Shoppers will be able to order the device from Target.com starting on Oct. 18, the company added. This includes 20 models in 38- and 42-millimeter sizes, among them some of the newer styles introduced in September, such as faux rose gold.

Only some models will be available at retail outlets, however. Shoppers will have to go online to get Target's full selection, which will still exclude a number of options, such as the Edition lineup made of real gold.

Apple has been rapidly expanding the number of third-party Watch vendors since August. The process began with Best Buy in Canada and the U.S., but then moved on to other chains and countries like Australia, France, Germany, and the U.K.

At home in the U.S., the Watch is even on sale at carriers T-Mobile and Sprint. The wide rollout is based on Apple's belief that the device will be in strong demand as a gift during the holidays.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    I've got an Apple Watch, but I find that I use it primarily just for notifications. Hopefully, most people aren't like me and are getting far more use out of their watch.
  • Reply 2 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

I've got an Apple Watch, but I find that I use it primarily just for notifications. Hopefully, most people aren't like me and are getting far more use out of their watch.

That is how I started with it, but now I have gone into health apps in a big way. With the watch, I have actually started to increase my daily activity, have lost weight and feel great. I realize it is motivation not technology that has pushed me into being less sedentary, but really feel that the Apple watch has added greatly to my motivation, as I get ongoing feedback as to my activity. So overall, I am very happy with this purchase.

• Reply 3 of 49
    jessijessi Posts: 302member
    I'm thinking about getting one, but mainly for health tracking, etc. But keeping the phone in the pocket for notifications is a nice advantage.
  • Reply 4 of 49
    Does anyone else get irritated by the word "faux"? The word itself is fake....why can't we just use the word Fake??? Faux is just so presumptuous and plain ol stupid...sorry for my rant...have not had my coffee yet ;-)
  • Reply 5 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I suppose it's ultimately good for sales to have the watch available everywhere, but it seems a bit schizophrenic ... The watch is available in high end luxury watch jewelry stores like London Jewelers, luxury fashion boutiques like Maxfield and Hermes, and respected electronics retailers like Best Buy. I even get that it's available at mobile phone carriers since it's a companion accessory. But does it really need to be available at Target? I know everybody shops at Target, but I don't really see this as the watches primary demographic, and Target isn't exactly known for their product expertise and customer service. It seems like Apple should be a bit more judicious about this one ... Do they want to have the watch splashed on the covers of vogue, or do they want it on a Target holiday sale circular? I suppose it's great if they can have both, but it seems to me like bottom tier discount retail chains cheapen the image of the watch. If somebody wants one, it maybe should be an effort to get, and not a spontaneous impulse buy on a midnight diaper run ...
  • Reply 6 of 49
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryMagoo View Post

Does anyone else get irritated by the word "faux"? The word itself is fake....why can't we just use the word Fake??? Faux is just so presumptuous and plain ol stupid...sorry for my rant...have not had my coffee yet ;-)

It’s French and it translates literally as ‘false’ as in faux pas. It is NOT a fake word. I am not irritated by the word. 

• Reply 7 of 49
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

I saw an $1800 Tag Heuer at my local Sam’s Club. They also had a $10,000 Chanel watch in the same display case. So I guess Target can sell Apple Watches if they want to. 

• Reply 8 of 49
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Target?!!

Hope this doesn't tarnish Watch's luxury status.

I guess if all they sell and display are Sport models then it shouldn't look so bad.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    cali wrote: »
    Target?!!

Hope this doesn't tarnish Watch's luxury status.

I guess if all they sell and display are Sport models then it shouldn't look so bad.

Since when was the aluminum or stainless steel watch luxury? Since Apple already sells products at Target it makes sense to sell the Watch there too. Though I will be interested to see how it's displayed. How is Best Buy displaying the Watch? Using the same table as in Apple stores?
  • Reply 10 of 49
    rogifan wrote: »
    Since when was the aluminum or stainless steel watch luxury? Since Apple already sells products at Target it makes sense to sell the Watch there too. Though I will be interested to see how it's displayed. How is Best Buy displaying the Watch? Using the same table as in Apple stores?
    Last I checked the $1500 Hermes ?Watch is stainless -- are you saying Hermes is not a luxury brand?

An iPhone is a commodity item, which requires little customer service to sell. Apple has shown us from the start that the watch requires special attention, from booked appointments, to band selection, to wrist sizing. Target is going to have to do a lot more than they currently do to convey that experience. Anything less and it seemingly taints the image Apple has been trying so hard to cultivate.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    I'm curious whether Apple planned this expansion into mass-market retailers (Best Buy, Target) as part of their original sales plan, or is this a mid-course correction to boost sales?

I use my Apple Watch heavily:
    - Notifications
    - Workouts
    - Maps
    - Messaging (hands free)
    - Music control
    - Photo Album watch face
    - Weather
    - Stock tracking
    - Apple Pay

It's not a gimmick; it's a great, useful, and attractive tool.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    mac_128 wrote: »
    Last I checked the $1500 Hermes ?Watch is stainless -- are you saying Hermes is not a luxury brand?

An iPhone is a commodity item, which requires little customer service to sell. Apple has shown us from the start that the watch requires special attention, from booked appointments, to band selection, to wrist sizing. Target is going to have to do a lot more than they currently do to convey that experience. Anything less and it seemingly taints the image Apple has been trying so hard to cultivate.

?Watch Hermés isn't being sold at Target or Best Buy. For all we know ?Watch at Target will be aluminum and stainless steel with cheaper bands only. Note that pretty much all the new bands announced last month were different colored sport bands.
  • Reply 13 of 49
  • Reply 14 of 49
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Roake View Post

Use notifications all the time as well.  My uses:

- Watch face:)  Haven't worn a watch in over a decade, but quite like having time on my wrist again.  Enjoy changing watch faces throughout the week & depending on work or play activities

- Calendar

- Health / fitness tracking

- Taking a call from wrist at times

- Sports scores from teams I track at a glance

- Passbook for loyalty cards (we don't have Apple Pay yet in Canada)

Looking forward to some interesting apps in the coming months, now that native is available.

• Reply 15 of 49
    Ooh! 5% off with Redcard! Though I have a Fitbit. Think I need an Apple Watch?
  • Reply 16 of 49
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

Target better be stepping up their display game.  The one by me was a crap-fest for the Apple products.

• Reply 17 of 49
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

I bought my daughter one for her birthday, when the newer colors and bands came out last month.

...So, it's a fashion accessory/status symbol, sure.

But in her job, she's all over the office, but can't conveniently carry her iPhone.

This way, she can be "in touch" with whatever she wants to be,

while the phone is safely locked in her desk.

For her situation, it's brilliant.

• Reply 18 of 49
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

?Watch Hermés isn't being sold at Target or Best Buy. For all we know ?Watch at Target will be aluminum and stainless steel with cheaper bands only. Note that pretty much all the new bands announced last month were different colored sport bands.

Doesn't change the fact that the Hermes ?Watch is identical to the stainless ?Watch regardless what band is on it. Not only that but it will be the most expensive watch Target sells in it's stores by far. The next most expensive Women's watch they sell is an $84.99 Timex, and a $129.99 men's no-name Star Wars watch, or Casio Brand. That's some nice company Apple is sharing.

Apple is trying to be all things to all people with this watch and I question that strategy. This is Angela Ahrendts first major product launch, so it's not like they know what they are doing with it based on hers or Apple's past experience. And regardless whether they limit the in-store watches to aluminum or stainless w/Sport bands, Target has an abysmal track record with both displaying Apple gear, knowledge of products, and customer service. If they just provide box service for in-store inventory, and don't offer the "full experience", then maybe this makes sense, but I don't see the logic in offering try-ons in a store where the customer is used to buying watches priced less than two-thirds that of the least expensive ?Watch. And what is the logic? Target has 1800+ stores in the US, Best buy has about 1450, not to mention all the mobile phone stores (and it's not like a customer needs to have a particular carrier to buy an ?Watch from them). Therefore, it's hard to believe that there might be a Target in a town with no other nearby retail options, and likely more qualified, to buy the ?Watch in person. So I question the rationale behind putting their "most personal" product in the most discount of merchants at this time.

• Reply 19 of 49
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Look like 15M won't be easy to achieve by the end of 2015. It's a bust for Sog35.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    After 3 days I returned mine. I bought the Rose Gold Sport version to match my Rose Gold 6s+ and I have to say I tried to make myself like the watch but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I work at a daycare in a gym and I really thought it would motivate me more but my Fitbit does that as well as take my heart rate. As for the notifications it was okay but considering the fact that my phone is glued to my hip except at bedtime was useless for notifications. I'll give it another go once the 2nd generation is out next year.